*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2115749-Introduction-to-Boony
Rated: E · Novel · Other · #2115749
Introduction to my soon to be novel
I always assumed life would be easy.
Life didn't like my assumption.
In fact, life took my assumption and made an example out of me.
Life did me a favor.

If you read my story, and you think it sounds depressing, I ask that you keep reading, re-read, or give up altogether. You have missed the point. I have failed you as a messenger of my tale. Life can't be good forever, but it can't be bad forever either. The beauty exists somewhere in the middle.

Struggles were my teachers. In my early days I faced very few. It was an easy time for Kreaton and I. Id get drunk. Id get drunk a lot. Id squabble around during the day, catching fish and bumming food. Float around in my canoe. I would sleep by the river at night. It was always warm here on my mountain. At the time I thought it was just that; My mountain. My biggest concern would be a slap on the wrist for childish foolishness from a local villager. The problem and my life were both simple. I had it easy, therefore I was arrogant.

Life had a different plan. Its the same plan for everybody. Balance between the highs and the lows. It only makes sense that the highs of my youth would plummet. Care free days turning to what we will take the liberty of calling lessons.

"You can't be old and wise unless you've been young and stupid.". It may be cliche, but cliches become cliches for a reason.

It was always me and Kreaton. Highs, lows, drunken stupors where we puked up the ghosts of our inebriated highs.

Kreaton was always with me. Always presently quiet. Observing, speaking very little. Playing the Banjo emphatically. The towns people said Kreaton was special, so they stayed away from him, let him do his own thing. I agreed. He was special, so I kept him around.

Kreaton was special, but not in the way that everyone else used that word. People throw this word at him because they didn't understand him. He talked little, and worked even less. Everyone works. Though the kid could play a meaner Banjo than anyone on either side of the mountain.

I did the talking for Kreaton. Some would say I looked after him as well. I like to think we looked after each other. It would have been a mighty lonely life without him. Truth be told, I don't think he could make it on his own. Too slow in the head. I didn't mind, I lived a slow paced life. Fast pace was for someone else.

If family were made up of just blood, than family wouldn't mean much too me. My blood is long gone. My family is Kreaton.


© Copyright 2017 Baumann (baumann at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2115749-Introduction-to-Boony