*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2116349-Surprise-Party
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Supernatural · #2116349
It was Ted's birthday and he was in for a surprise. A Kittiara's Writing Contest Entry
Surprise Party

A shouted “Surprise!” greeted Ted as he came through the door.

“I can’t believe this!”

Alice came over and laughingly wrapped him in a hug. “Happy Birthday, darling,” she giggled.

“You’re going to pay for this!”

“I’m counting on it,” she said, releasing him.

Friends from work and neighbors gathered around with good wishes. Bill, his best friend, came over with a tall bourbon and coke. “Happy Birthday, buddy.”

“How did you …”

“Hey, it was Alice’s idea,” he said deflecting blame with a laugh. “It’s been a tough year, loosing Kate and all. She – we – thought it would be nice to have something to celebrate.”

The mention of Kate brought sadness to his thoughts. He had lost his wife the year before in a car accident. Alice had been her best friend and had been his rock, helping him to plan the funeral and taking care of the details that seemed, at the time, insurmountable. Their relationship had grown over time.

He raised his glass before joining the revelries. I miss you, Kate. I hope you’re happy where ever you are.

Sitting at the table, he opened his “gifts’ amid uproarious laughter. Jim had given him fur-lined underwear, Julie gave him sex-coupons (Alice pronounced, “They’re only redeemable with me!”) and Bill had given him a blow-up doll. “You can borrow this, Bill. I have a feeling I won’t need it!”

“I’m not so sure,” Bill had responded, pushing his cell phone in front of Ted. “With a face like that, I’m not sure anyone is going to want you.”

Ted glanced down and saw his surprised face. He looked totally goofy, his eyes wide, his mouth open … and there was second face in the picture. Oh my God, that looks like … Kate!

As Bill pulled back the phone, Alice cajoled, “Finish opening your gifts!”

Ted felt stunned. He rubbed his eyes. Had he really seen her? He opened the remaining gifts but his laughter was hollow. Alice took charge of cutting and serving the cake. He spotted Bill going to the kitchen and followed him.

“Bill, let me see those pictures again.”

“No way, buddy. I plan to keep these for a big ransom,” he laughed.

“Bill!” The tone of his voice stopped Bill in his tracks.

“Sure, Ted. I was just kidding,” he said, pulling out his phone. He hit the camera button but nothing came on the screen. “What?” He checked his phone. “The memory card is missing. It must have popped out. Let me look for it.”

“Let me know the minute you find it. Please, Bill, this is serious.”

“What’s going on?”

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you. Hell, I don’t believe it.”

“OK, buddy.”

Guests started leaving soon after and by 10:00, only Bill and Alice remained. “I’m going to clean a layer or two of this up,” Alice said.

“Bill, any luck?”

“No. It’s strange. I showed you the pictures, put the phone in my pocket, and went to the kitchen. It has to be here … but it’s not. It’s like it just disappeared. Alice will find it when she gets to the bottom of this mess,” he said, indicating the dirty plates and torn wrapping paper. “Well, it’s getting late and tomorrow’s a work day. I’m going to head home. If you find it, bring it to work … along with a hefty ransom,” he joked.

“I’ll find it,” Ted promised unsmilingly. “Good night, Bill. See you tomorrow. And, thanks for tonight. You’re a good friend.”

As he headed for the door, Bill called, “Good night, Alice. Let’s do this again … next year!”

Alice came out of the kitchen. “You’re on, Bill. Good night.”

Ted sat down, putting his head in his hands. Maybe it was just a smudge on the lens or a reflection. He really wasn’t sure what he had seen, now.

“Not feeling good, baby?”

“I’ve been coming down with something all day,” he lied. “I know you had plans for tonight but I’m really not feeling well. Can I add a rain-check to that stack of coupons you’re hoarding?” he said, trying to make light of the situation.

Alice looked hard at him. “Is there something going on?”

He patted his lap and she sat down. “Yes. I’m not feeling good and I’m exhausted. This was so sweet of you and I feel terrible that I’m being a wet-blanket. I’m sorry. Can you forgive me?”

“I won’t answer until tomorrow night,” she smiled. “And, I’ll expect you to model those furry underwear for me too!”

He laughed. “That sounds like a deal. Just leave this. It’s getting late and you need to get home. “

He could see her disappointment but he was distracted. It was better if he just spent some time alone. He needed to sort out his thoughts and feelings. If only I had that memory card! Ted walked her to the door, giving her a half-hearted good night kiss. “I’ll call you in the morning.”

Ted crawled into bed with a sigh. It had been a strange day. First, the photo, then the missing… He felt a small bump under his pillow. Pulling it out, he could see in the dim light it was a memory card. What the hell! How did this … It was then he became aware that he wasn't alone. He started to jump up but an icy hand held him down.

“Happy Birthday, baby,” Kate’s voice said from the darkness.

“Kate?” he managed to croak.

“You didn’t think I was going to let that bitch share MY bed with you, did you? Not Alice, not my best friend. She’s like a vulture, just waiting to pick at the leftovers. I’m not leaving anything!”

He struggled to move but couldn’t. He felt her coldness as she ripped his underwear off and rolled on top of him. “This would make a nice picture, don’t you think?”

His screams were drowned out by her laughter.



Divider line



An entry for Round 19 of "Kittiara's Writing Contest
Prompt: Celebrations
Word Limit: None
Word Count: 1000
© Copyright 2017 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2116349-Surprise-Party