*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2118009-What-is-a-Family
Rated: E · Poetry · Family · #2118009
A poem discussing what makes a family a family.
What is a family?

A family is something that is indescribable to the average person. Many people have tried for centuries to try to explain what it is.

Is it blood? No, because of people who feel closer to some family members than others even though blood is the same.

Is it respect? Maybe, families formed out of need have this. We have heard of families in times of great desperation in many great tales becoming families.

Maybe it’s just as simple as helping each other be the best we can be.

Standing up for what is right, and helping each other have the best life.

The bond between a brother and sister always is a tough one to form, two very different viewpoints, two very different people.

However, once it does form, it lasts a long time.

The brother becomes the protector, even if the sister is tough as nails. He allows her to become as strong as she needs to, to face the world, no matter the struggle.

The sister is grateful for it, having life-long respect for him. Always thanking him for standing up for her, when he didn’t have to.

Life can drag the two apart, and through the mud, bringing many challenges to them.

Maybe the brother will become a teacher, then a principal in a tough district and crack down on drug use, and make all the students better through tough love.

Maybe the sister will go on to become a nurse, A damn good one too, who knows exactly how to help every patient they come across.

Maybe the bond they share will help them become even better than they ever could have been on their own.

However, when the time comes, and the brother needs to move on, the sister will be somber as her protector is gone. But, as she remembers all the times that they shared, and the memories they made.

She'll remember all the excellent times, and the not-so-excellent times. The times where they thought they would argue forever, and the times they couldn't be closer.

Maybe a family is just people who you love, regardless of distance, strife, or condition.

Maybe it is as simple as that.
© Copyright 2017 Michelle Watkins (spider2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2118009-What-is-a-Family