*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2118138-Lucy
Rated: E · Fiction · Death · #2118138
Love pays its debt.
LUCY

Tarak Ghosh


I poured myself a drink from the decanter and sipped it as I paced the floor, waiting for my beloved to return home. As soon as I heard her key in the lock, I gulped the remainder of my drink and braced myself for her entrance. I knew she wouldn't be able to resist scolding me for giving in to temptation.
"Hi," Lucy said brightly as she entered the room, "guess whom I have been to see ... John Appleton. He is a trained Hematologist. He has said there is a strong possibility if you quit drinking -"
"Hold on, you are standing there telling me you have been discussing my life story with John ... your old school-mate?"
"Boris, I only told him what he needed to know. The most important thing is he can help us, as long as you stop drinking."
"Who is he to tell me what I can and cannot do in my own house? He would see things differently if he had faced some of the things I have been through."
"Boris," Lucy soothed, "John doesn't mean you any harm. He's not like that."
"Oh, and you know this because .... How long have you two have been sneaking around behind my back?"
"Please, Boris it's you; I love! John and I are only -"
"Liar!" I shouted enraged with jealousy and loathing and lashed out at Lucy with the back of my hand.
Lucy initially cried out with pain and put her hand to her cheek as she stepped back.
She then pleaded, "Boris, please listen to me. Together, John and I can help you -
This time I didn't just slap her. I pushed her with brute force, and she fell back hitting her head against the hearth. I knew instantly that I had killed her, but I could feel no sympathy - even to look at her filled me with disgust, and I knew I couldn't rest until I had scrubbed the house and got rid of her body, and everything connected with her. I decided to bury her in the forest that backed onto our house.
Upon my return to the house, I had just poured myself a large brandy when there was a knock at the door. I ignored it at first, but my visitor seemed equally determined to get my attention and had begun hammering with their fist against the wooden paneling.
I flung the door open in annoyance and was shocked to find John standing there. I recognized him instantly as he hadn't changed much over the years.
"Hi, Boris, it's good to see you. I told Lucy I would call by this evening with the results of her tests. She will be pleased to know it is good news -"
"I don't understand. Lucy never said she felt ill," Boris said shaking his head.
"Thankfully, Lucy isn't sick otherwise she wouldn't be able to help you. She was so concerned about your Cirrhosis; she visited your doctor to enquire about being a donor. In turn, your doctor referred her to me to discuss the possibility of donating a segment of her liver. You are a very lucky man to have such a devoted partner."
I gasped in horror as the reality of the situation started to sink in, and John's words whirled in my mind. He had called this evening to give Lucy and myself the green light that the operation could go ahead.
"I won't take up any more of your time, Boris. I can see this is a lot for you to take in. It's not every day you are given a second chance at life. However, remember as I have already mentioned to Lucy it is imperative for you to stop drinking if you want the operation to be a success."
I felt as though my remorse would choke me as I closed the door and walked to my drink's cabinet. Through a haze of tears, I poured myself a cocktail of drinks and laced it with tranquilizers. Tonight I would join my sweet Lucy.

#


© Copyright 2017 TARAK GHOSH (authorin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2118138-Lucy