*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2118885-The-Big-Break
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2118885
Flash Fiction
The Big Break

Jean stood with eyes closed, clearing her mind. She had come out as soon as she heard the intermission curtain drop. She would be in the first scene of the second act. This was her big break. They would finally see what she was capable of.

She had been an extra here for months, having to learn all the parts, but never getting on the stage. The women here were apparently never out. She had been thinking seriously of looking for something else, but the money was so good. But for crying out loud, even the extras got more time on stage than her, though they worked day rate and had to be on call. It was a catch twenty-two for sure.

Then today, at last! Lisa was out. Jean was ready! She knew Lisa’s part by heart, of course she knew everyone’s part by heart. She had to wear Lisa’s same costume, of course, but she was sure she could put her own spin it. If she was good enough they might even give her own character! She’d heard of them adding characters, that’s how Angela got her part. Someone suggested an addition and it really enhanced the production so they added it, before her time of course. This production had been going on for years.

Suddenly the stage got busy, everyone rushing last minute things into place and finding their marks. The curtain rose. Jean was ready.

“What’s that!” said Angela pointing at Lisa.

“I think it’s an ant...” answered Terry, poking Jean.

“I am certainly NOT an ant! I, am a caterpillar!” Jean said, raising three of her eight legs and shaking her floppy stuffed head in her best insulted manner. The audience laughed, they never laughed when Lisa said it!

Jean was a hit!
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2118885-The-Big-Break