*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2119047-Forgetting
by slez
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #2119047
Flash fiction contest entry - 299 Words
After wandering aimlessly for hours, Mike found himself at Steve's place. "I can't forget her. It's been months, but I just can't let go."

Steve sighed and shook his head. "I know it's difficult to let go, but you have to. There's no other choice."

Mike looked Steve in the eye and clenched his fists. "I'm going to see her! I have too! If I could just talk to her one more time."

"Don't, it will only bring you pain."

Mike's shoulders slumped. "Maybe… Maybe I could write a letter." After seeing the look on Steve's face, he knew it was a crazy idea. "Or…"

"Stop it Mike," said Steve as he held out a pill. "Just take it, there's no other way for you."

Mike looked at the pill and shook his head. "I can't. It'll change me. I don't want that."

"Are you sure? You don't seem so happy. This will set you free from your pain. It'll let you forget."

"I don't want to forget!" said Mike on the verge of tears.

"Look, Mike, I've seen more people like you than I can count. Take the pill; it's for the best."

Conflicted, Mike stared at the pill for a long time. "It'll make me happy?" Steve nodded his head and then Mike snatched the pill and immediately swallowed it.

Steve laughed. "You made the right choice. Now you'll be able to move on. It would've been better if you had been able to come to terms with your death on your own, but choosing to take the pill is the next best thing. Remaining as a ghost on this world is a horrible fate."

All the tension drain out of Mike as started forgetting. Then he slowly began to fade away. "Thanks Steve, you were right."
© Copyright 2017 slez (slez at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2119047-Forgetting