*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2120738-The-night-we-met
Rated: E · Short Story · Young Adult · #2120738
A short story of grief
He walked into the house; he had just gotten out of high school for the summer. He had this smile on his face. "What's going on fam?" he asked excitedly. Amber, his older sister, stood from the dining table. He could see it in Amber's eyes; how she tried to fight back the tears. "Lucas...Rachel died", she said as her voice cracked. Amber continued,"She was hit by a truck while she was rushing here to talk to you. She wanted to fix things between you two." Rachel had been Lucas sweetheart since the sixth grade; they were in the eleventh grade of high school now. Rachel and Lucas had argued more the past few months, but it wasn't anything they wouldn't fix; Lucas was sure of it. Lucas stood in the doorway frozen, afraid to move.

Amber walked over to him and attempted to give him a hug to comfort him. "No. I'm... okay. Just don't touch me," Lucas fought to get the words out. Their mother had past two years earlier due to cancer which Lucas was still grieving over. His facial expression hadn't shown him this devastated since that day. He tried to maintain his composure. "Are you going to be okay?" Amber asked. "What am I suppose to do? We were going to right our wrongs, " Lucas said as he looked at the ceiling. "God, please give her back," he pleaded. Amber grabbed him and hugged him.

Lucas couldn't hold back his tears any longer. Lucas thought of all the mistakes he had made; how awful he had treated her the past few months, and yet she was still willing to forgive him. She wanted to work out our differences. She was rushing over here to me. He thought, "She died because of it. If, if only I would've held her like Amber is holding me now things would've been different." Lucas remembered Rachel last words to him; "I had all and then most of you. Some and now none of you. Take me back to the night we met." Lucas replied to those words, "I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Haunted by the ghost of you. Take me back to the night we met."
© Copyright 2017 Christhesourpatchkid (sourpatchkid at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2120738-The-night-we-met