*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2121076-Day-Eight---The-Egg-and-The-Eye
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2121076
This is Day Eight of the Promptly Potter Challenge. It's another SpaceWizard mystery.
SpaceWizards
(Another SpaceWizards Action/Adventure Mystery)


Borrele is a bird person minus her wings. But her race never had any. There are a lot of birds on every planet that don’t have wings. And her home planet of Zellis is one of them. The main difference between Zellis and the other planets in the universe is that the whole planet is a bird planet. Borrele looked human from her face to her feet in the front. But her sides, back, and head looked like a bird with feathers. She hasn’t been back to Zellis since Horrald returned. This is the story about why she went there and what happened after she did.


“The Egg and The Eye”

A Short Story

Remembered By

Borrele


     Spinning around Borrele mumbled something. A few seconds later the heads of six dead sliced off one after another. Their bodies had hit the ground before their heads did. Borrele completed her stop and mumbled again. Two Fire Balls shot out of her palms to explode seconds after hitting ten more dead.

     The other six SpaceWizards were right behind those ten running toward Borrele. Mairon was seconds before the others. I asked you to wait for us. We know you want to get back what Horrald stole from Zellis. But you can’t do it by yourself.

     Borrele mumbled something as she continued running toward a building protected by another group of the dead. They held their Long Blades in front of them as electric strings shot out of her fingertips. Several blocked those strings only to send them into the one next to them. Those individuals received two strings instead of one.

     Those that blocked the strings got killed a few seconds later when Borrele shot two more Fire Balls at them. Only one Fire Ball took out the dead. The other one exploded against the entrance into the building they protected. Borrele ran through the smoke created by that explosion. And the other six SpaceWizards entered that building a few seconds later.

     Mairon ran into Borrele who stopped just after she entered that building. The other SpaceWizards ran into the both them. When they ran into them, all seven of them fell to the ground. As they got up, they looked at a large room filled with nothing but junk. Most of it was piled almost to the ceiling.

     There were small pathways between those piles. They went in all directions. The SpaceWizards split up and took different pathways. A few minutes later Pacill thought, I found it.

     Where are you? Borrele closed her eyes and mumbled something.Never mind, I see you.

     Borrele was the first one to get to Pacill. The other five SpaceWizards showed up a few seconds behind her. They surrounded Borrele as she looked at an egg shaped SpaceGem in her hands. “Thanks, Pacill for finding this for me.”

     For Several minutes, all Borrele did was stare at that SpaceGem. One eye then the other squinted as she did it. Then Borrele got up and turned toward a large opened area in that building. The other six SpaceWizards did the same thing. All their jaws dropped in shock. Right in front of them hovering in the center of that opened area, there was The Egg and The Eye.

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     A large eye and a slightly larger eyeball just hovering there. Why were they there? Borrele thought as she stared at them in the Cargo Chamber on their spaceship.

     Why is he doing this? What is he doing stealing all this junk? Especially, his fascination with eggs.

     Borrele just stared at that egg and eye. She turned several times. But a second later she started staring at them again. Why can’t I stop staring at them?

     There’s something I don’t like about this egg and I. I think it was a big mistake bringing them back to our spaceship.

     Walking around the egg and then the eye, Borrele looked at them from all angles. There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with them. But I still have a bad feeling about them.

     Borrele returned to staring at them from the front. What is Horrald up to this time. Why did he have these things in one of his storage buildings?

     For several minutes Borrele just stood there staring at that egg and eye. I think that Horrald is going crazy. Maybe he was in the Deep Freeze too long. After all, it has been almost thirty thousand years. I hope that I’m wrong about Horrald, the egg, and the eye. If Horrald is going crazy, or if he’s already crazy, it’s going to be even harder to stop him without us having to kill him.

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     Borrele sat behind the controls of their spaceship. Most of the time she tapped away at the controls and kept her eyes on the viewscreen. But every few seconds he glanced over at the Image Monitor that showed her the egg and the eye. She was looking at that Image Monitor when Angoria placed her hand on Borrele’s shoulder. Borrele tensed up.

     “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. It’s my turn at the controls.” Angoria glanced over at what Borrele was looking at. “Why are you so obsessed that those things.”

     “I don’t know,” said Borrele. “But I have a feeling that something is wrong with them.”

     Borrele looked at Angoria. “I don’t know what’s wrong. But I know that something is about to happen to them, especially that egg.”

     Angoria took Borrele’s place at the controls after Borrele got up to let her sit down. “If you feel like that, then why did you want us to bring them onto our spaceship? You’re the one who wanted us to do that.”

     “I can’t answer that question either. But I think it’s because I was curious about why he had them in the center of that opened area. And why he had them.”
Borrele continued a few seconds later. “I wanted them brought on board so that I could discover why they were there. And I’m going to do that just as soon as we return my SpaceGem to Zellis.”

     “I’ve been thinking about it ever since we brought them here. And I’m starting to think that was a big mistake.” Borrele leaned in closer to the Image Monitor. “Is it my imagination or is that egg starting to grow?”

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     Running down the corridors, Borrele thought, We might have a problem with the egg and the eye. And it’s all my fault.

     Mairon looked at Stavon then at Jacci. They looked back at him and each other in shock too.What did you just think?{/}

     “Where did you go? Is there something wrong?” The voice of Octa came out of one of the monitors.

     Stavon swiveled back toward that monitor. Jacci turned to face the monitor next to that one. “No, there’s nothing wrong. At least there isn’t with us. We might have a problem here, though.”

     “What have you found out about Horrald wanting us?” The voice of Unnim came out of the monitor in front of Jacci. “Have you discovered why he’s after us?”

     “Not yet,” said Jacci. “But it’s only been a few weeks. We will figure out what’s going on.”

     “This is just the weekly contact we promised we would do.” Stavon scooted over toward Jacci so that he was seated between the two monitors.

     Unnim looked in the direction of Oct’s monitor then back at Jacci. “We have been thinking about our weekly contacts.”

     Octa continued a few seconds later. “And we don’t want you to contact us again until you have something to tell us.”

     “These weekly contacts are too dangerous when they are always the same message.” Unnim took over the conversation.

     “The more you contact us, the more danger we are in of Horrald finding out where we are.” Octa looked over at Unnim before she continued.

     “We have been thinking about that too,” said Jacci. “And we agree with you.”

     “That’s why we contacted you a few days before we have been doing it,” said Stavon. “To tell you that we wouldn’t be contacting you again until we know why Horrald wants you.”

     Just then Borrele thought to them, We definitely have a very big problem here. You need to get down to the Cargo Chamber right now.

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     A few minutes later Mairon, Stavon, and Jacci were running down a corridor. They skidded to a stop in front of an entrance. Mairon walked up to it. But it didn’t slide open. Stavon then Jacci tried to enter too. Mairon placed his palm on the entrance. Once again, nothing happened.

     Borrele, why can’t we get into the Cargo Chamber? Mairon asked.

     It’s too dangerous. I came down her to drop both the egg and the eye into Space before it happened. But it wouldn’t have done any good if I had. That egg has hatched. There’s a SpaceFireBreather in here with me.

     Mairon, Stavon, and Jacci looked at each other in shocked. But it was Stavon who thought, You put a spell on the entrance to keep us out. Why did you do that?{/}

     There’s no reason why all of us need to die. I’m sure that’s what Horrald wanted to happen. Besides, I can deal with this SpaceFireBreather.{/}

     Jacci mumbled something. She turned toward Mairon and Stavon. “I can’t break the spell.” Use the counter-spell to let us in. We can help you.

     I don’t need any help in here. But I do need your help with the rest of the spaceship, though.

     Mairon, Stavon, and Jacci looked at each other in wonder. What does that mean? Mairon asked.

     When I first thought to you about coming down here the egg hadn’t hatched yet. It only hatched about a minute before you got here. That’s why I didn’t think to you about this before you got here.

     Borrele sighed. When I first got in here I concentrated on the size of the egg. It now filled about half of the Cargo Chamber. I didn’t notice that the eye wasn’t here until after it hatched and I took cover behind some metal boxes.

     That’s what you need to do. You need to find that eye and destroy it. I’m sure that it’s Horrald in some way.

     I’ve already thought to Pacill and Yena to checked out the rest of the spaceship. But you need to get back to the Communications Chamber to make sure Unnim and Octa aren’t still there. That’s probably what the eye is looking for.

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     The eye floated through the still closed entrance into the Communications Chamber. It stopped and turned toward the several monitors on a long table. That eye stopped in front of the two where Stavon and Jacci sat. The eyelid closed. When it re-opened a few seconds later, the face of Horrald was there.

     “So, here you are. It has been very hard finding you. The SpaceWizards have been doing an excellent job in hiding you from me. But I knew sooner or later I would find you. And I have.”

     “Zellisians are a very curious race. I knew that if I stole something from them and let Borrele find it she would see me and her curiosity would bring me to you.”

     Just then the entrance blew open, sending that entrance flying down the row of monitors and right into the eye. A second later Stavon dove into that room to the right while Jacci dove to the left. Mairon came in the front. All three fired two Fire Balls at the pinned against the wall, eye as the entrance slid to the floor beneath it. A few seconds later those six Fire Balls destroyed that eye.

     Have you destroyed that eye, yet. Are Unnim and Octa okay?

     Mairon sighed. “She has been repeating that thought for the last five minutes.” We have destroyed the eye. As for Unnim and Octa, they are no longer here. But I don’t know if they discontacted before the eye got here or not.

     Stavon continued a few seconds later. We also don’t know if he connected to communications or not. Horrald might know where they are. But I don’t think he does. I think we got here just in time for that not to happen.


Word Count = 1,916

© Copyright 2017 PureSciFi (spacefaction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2121076-Day-Eight---The-Egg-and-The-Eye