*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2122461-Midnight-Dream
Rated: GC · Novel · Fantasy · #2122461
An excerpt from a novel idea that I have.

He had been staring at her for the past few minutes, standing motionless in his chair. The cigar in his right hand was burning out already, only half smoked, but nobody seemed to notice or to care anymore. Even though just a few minutes ago he had been holding everyone's attention in his palm, right now they were all looking at the door, their eyes fixed upon one particular woman.

She wore a black, silky, long dress that perfectly shaped her round body and which lured the men to wonder about what was underneath. Her face was nothing special, but nobody was looking at it anyway. That left her a bit disappointed, especially after she had spent half an hour that evening on her makeup just for this occasion.

It was Peter Mason's party and she was not gonna leave unnoticed. She smirked at the thought.

Only when the ashes from the cigarette finally reached his fingers did he manage to take his eyes away her. He let it fall on the floor and casually stepped on it as if nothing had happened. He took a look around to analyze everyone's reaction at the new apparition. There was not a single person in the room not staring at her. But Peter knew.

He knew that the real reason behind the interest was not actually the woman, but the purple

gem elegantly resting on her collarbone. Taking the form of a raindrop engraved in an onyx skeleton, the Midnight Dream was not particularly beautiful but it had a certain something.

He got up, carefully buttoned up his jacket and made way through the crowd. Hurrying in her direction, he was pushing every step into the ground like he was trying to fix himself there. He did not want to have that conversation and moreover, he did not want that conversation with her. He wasn't ready.

'Sophie.' He said when he finally found her green eyes among the others, a few steps away from her.

'Happy birthday, Pete!' she smiled with a sweet voice, almost innocent. But he knew better.

'Where the fuck did you get that?!'. It couldn't have been more obvious he was mad, though he tried to keep quiet. She, on the other hand, was very relaxed.

'Oh, the necklace? An old friend gave it to me. He said you might know each other... Lance Howard was it? He sends his regards.'

Peter was sure that he had never hated Lance more in his life - which WAS an achievement - and that he never heard Sophie so happy before. For a brief second there was terror in his eyes, but he decided to shake it away and leave room for trying to find a solution. He already had in mind ten ways to take it away from her.

'Do you have any idea what the Midnight Dream can do?!'

'No.' she smirked again, this time like a threat. 'Do you want to show me?'

'Fuck it, Sophie!'

© Copyright 2017 The Black Tempest (blacktempest at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2122461-Midnight-Dream