*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2122770-Invisible-friends
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2122770
FF entry for 5/25
This story is true, though I've almost forgotten it many times. As a child every toy and trinket I owned had a name, personality and backstory. I had several imaginary friends. The family of bears living in the linen closet, the pastel bunnies living in the back yard when it snowed and the sweet voiced angel living in the hall closet. However I had two imaginary friends that were not so friendly, the witch in the back of the guest room closet and the shadow in the basement laundry room. I had to be very careful entering these danger areas. Don't be alone. Hold my breath. Run fast. The things that children do to make things feel safe.

I got older and forgot my imaginary friends. My parents decided my little sister and I should have separate rooms. I was given what had been the spare room, it had a bigger closet. I had forgotten. I was reading in my room when suddenly I couldn't breath. There was no pain. No blockage. I couldn't even scream. I ran down the hall to my mother in a panic.

Suddenly air flooded my lungs. I leaned against the hall closet door catching my breath. I didn't know what happened but I was fine now so I went back to my book. I didn't tell my parents and eventually I forgot.

Again I got older. We moved and I went to university. Then I overheard my father and grandfather talking about how strange the sounds in that house had been. Both of them had heard the outside door in the laundry room open and close at times when that door was padlocked shut. Hearing that gave me a chill. I remembered all I had forgotten.

I still remember. I wish I could stop.
© Copyright 2017 Michelle (nubrain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2122770-Invisible-friends