*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2122814-Morning
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2122814
Flash Fiction
Morning

Roddy looked at the clearing, no one else was here yet. He wanted to be extra early and he was, keeping himself hidden behind a bush where he could see the back of the building, but was safe from danger.

Every day he came here for supplies, but lately the bullies would show up as soon as the supplies arrived pushing everyone else away. He ended up scavenging all day just to feed Rana so she could feed the children, taking only enough himself to keep going. Soon local food would be ripe and they wouldn’t need this donation site, but right now they were always hungry.

Roddy scanned the skies and trees. He saw no sign of the bullies, but they would come fast when the food arrived. They always did. He decided to move closer. There was a spot very close where he could hide, if he was careful nobody would notice.

Finally, the door opened and the person came out with the supplies. Roddy froze, he had to be fast once she dropped them. She opened the gate tossing food absentmindedly. Roddy was always surprised at how casual she was, when in truth she was literally saving their lives. As she turned to leave, Roddy shot out.

He quickly stuffed all he could in his pouches. He could already hear the bullies calling back and forth, they would arrive any second! When he could stuff in no more he turned and fled. The crows swooped down noisily covering the clearing around the bird feeder. The smaller birds waited, hoping there would be something left when the crows were gone.

Roddy was already gone, running as fast as he could run. The little chipmunk wouldn’t stop until he reached his precious family with this life-saving food.
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2122814-Morning