*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2123234-The-Last-Mothers-Day
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Family · #2123234
A good day at the Home

"Cindy, you came."
"Of course Mom, I've been here every day for the last two weeks."
"You have?"
"Yes and Happy Mother's Day."
"The planter is beautiful. I love to watch things grow."
"You've always had a green thumb."
"You forget to water them. Do you still have the cactus garden?'
"Yes, its the only thing that's still alive in my apartment."
"About death."
"Mother, we don't have to talk about that now."
"When will you want to talk about death? After I'm gone?
"I have a hard time thinking about it. You're always here when I call, you help me when I'm troubled, what will I do without you?'
"I've told you before, life doesn't go on forever. Your father died. We've done well on our own, but all things must end."
"Mom, about Dad."
"Yes dear. We have put him to rest a long time ago. Soon I'll join him."
"STOP IT! Just stop it. Own up to the lies you've told me all these years. Tell me the truth!"
"Now Cynthia Lou you do not raise your voice to me. That's no way to talk to a dying woman. I can't believe you're saying those things"
"Stop crying Mother. My father didn't die. I did some research and found some of your classmates still living-"
"They're lying! You don't listen to those backstabbing liars."
"Whose the liar? I found the man. He was the son of your boss. He was surprised to see me. He knew about me, but had paid for you to get an abortion. It was quite shocking to find me alive and a grown woman."
"You didn't! You went to see him? How could you after all this time?"
"Because you lied to me. Aunt Betty finally told me when I said I was going to place flowers on my father's grave for Memorial Day. She told me there was no one in that grave. That it was all for show. You bought two plots and paid for two headstones. ALL LIES"
"Cindy, don't hate me. I wanted you to have a good home. To have someone to look up to. A father to be proud of."
"Why couldn't I have had a real father? Looked up to Mike?"
"Mike? Mike who?"
"Mike Johnson. Your boss' son at the DQ where you worked."
"Oh No Honey, Mike Johnson is not your father."
"He said he was my father. Why are you laughing? This isn't funny."
"I'm sure it isn't to you. If we are going to be honest here, your father was Mike's dad. The man raped me in the back of the store one night and told me if I told anyone, he'd kill my family."
"Why didn't you tell anyone? Why did you make up this huge lie?"
"How do you feel knowing you're the product of Abuse and Rape?"
"Mother, I love you! Had I known all this time I wouldn't have missed out on having a Dad. I would never have gone to visit Mike. No wonder he was surprised. I'm sorry."

© Copyright 2017 Quick-Quill (thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2123234-The-Last-Mothers-Day