*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2123399-Day-29---The-Letters-from-No-One
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2123399
Day Twenty-Nine of the Promptly Potter challenge. It's another SpaceWizards mystery.
SpaceWizards
(Another SpaceWizards Action/Adventure Mystery)


There are a lot of ways to get a letter. The most common way here on Earth is through the mail. But nowadays emails are a very popular way to get a letter too. In fact, when it comes to ‘No Ones’ emails are the best way to send a letter. There are other ways to send a letter, though. A good example of that is the Harry Potter Novels and movies. Wizards from other planets and SpaceWizards can and do, get letters these ways. But there are other ways for them to get them. This team of SpaceWizards is about to get seven different letters. Now they need to figure out what they mean. And it’s Borrele who figures it out this time. It’s not what you think it is. This is her story.


“The Letters from No One”

A Short Story

Remembered By

Borrele


     Small pieces of paper-thin wood squares floated down onto all seven SpaceWizards in their Sleeper Chambers. They landed on their heads or faces. The SpaceWizards all suddenly sat up in their Sleepers. All of them picked up the pieces of paper and looked at them. They all looked at both sides of it. Each of them had a single letter on both sides of them.

     Did anyone else just get a letter falling their face? Mairon asked.

     The first one to answer that was Jacci. I got one.

     I got one too, said Stavon. But mine wasn’t on my face. It landed on the side of my head.

     Angoria thought next. The one that I got also landed on my head. But it was on forehead.

     Mine was on my face, too. Yena responded a few seconds later.

     The next one to think was Pacill. I also got one on my face.

     My letter that fell on the side of my head I think cut me a little, said Borrele. It was the letter Q. Did anyone else get that letter?

     No, I didn’t get that one. Mine was the letter N, said Mairon.

     A few seconds later Yena thought, I didn’t get that one, either. The one I got was the letter O.

     Let’s not start this one thought at a time again. Mairon interrupted before anyone could say anything. I think that I can speak for everyone in saying that we all got different letters.

     Pacill thought next. What’s going on? Where did they come from? Why did we get them?

     I think that we need to figure out what these letters mean. The sooner we can figure it out the better. Let’s all meet in the Information Chamber as quickly as everyone can get there.

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     A few minutes later all the SpaceWizards were in the Information Chamber. Borrele was the last one to get there. The other six were already sitting behind Information Monitors aka Data Monitors. Three were tapping away at their controls in front of them while the other three were staring at their monitors. Borrele sat down at one of the empty Information Monitor.

     Borrele opened her clothing and pulled out her letter. She placed it next to her monitor. Then she mumbled something. A few seconds later her letter disappeared. Borrele started tapping at her controls. One after another the four tappers finished and started staring at their monitors. She was the last one to do that.

     “What are we staring at?” Yena asked after about fifteen minutes of them staring at their individual monitors. “It’s just a bunch of letters from no one.”

     “The Letters From No One,” said Pacill. “What do they mean? Who sent them? Why did they send them to us?”

     No one said anything for several minutes. They just stared at the seven letters floating randomly on their monitors. It was Angoria who broke that silence. “It’s got to be another trap by Horrald.”

     “Of course, it’s another trap. But why is Horrald doing like this?” Mairon asked.

     “I just noticed something,” Borrele said after they stared at their monitors for another few minutes. “That T is taller than the others. And it looks different from them too.”

     “That’s called capitalization. You should have noticed it when you do your Daily Diaries.”

     Mairon looked at Jacci then back at Borrele. “She has been doing her diary entries just like everyone else has. But she doesn’t do them on a Data Monitor.”

     A few seconds later Mairon continued. “I saw the capital T too. And I think it’s a word with seven letters in it. But what kind of a word is it? It could be a person’s name, a planet, a place on a planet, terminology, a spell. It could be almost anything.”

     “The Information Monitors should tell us what the word or words that fit it is. Isn’t that why we are here?” Jacci asked.

     “If it’s from a planet that our Information System knows about it should be able to do that,” said Stavon. “But if it’s not then the answer to your unasked question is ‘No, it won’t tell us the name or names we are looking for.’”

     “Our Information System is the best in the universe,” said Yena. “We have all the knowledge of almost every planet in the universe in there. If it is a word of some kind, The System will find it.”

     “I know what you are about to say Mairon,” said Borrele after about a minute of silence. “You want the Information System to find that word for us. But I don’t think we should do that.”

     “What if that word is a spell? And as soon as we say it that’s when Horrald’s trap is sprung.”

     No one said anything for several minutes. They just stared at the floating letters on their individual monitors. It was Mairon who broke that silence. “I don’t think it’s a spell. More than likely it’s the name of a planet that needs our help. And this is their way of getting it to us without Horrald finding out about the call for help.”

     A few seconds later Mairon continued. “Whether this is a spell or not, we need to find out what this word is. And the sooner we find that out, the better. But just to be safe, we won’t say the word until we know what kind of a word it is. Do we all agree to that?”

     The other six SpaceWizards looked at Mairon and nodded their heads ‘yes’ to his question. All seven of them pushed a button on their controls at the same time. Then the SpaceWizards got up and head for the entrance to that chamber. At least most of them did. Mairon remained at his Information Monitor.

     Just before the other six left Mairon turned toward them. “Wait, Borrele. Weren’t you supposed to be the Control Chamber when we got these letters? How come you were in your Sleeping Chamber like the rest of us were?”

     “I was there. But I started getting tired. So, I put the spaceship on Sleep Mode and went to my Sleeping Chamber’s.” Borrele continued a few seconds later. “Do you think my sleepiness has something to do with these letters?”

     “Maybe. Then again, maybe not. I don’t know.”

     A few seconds later Mairon continued. “We don’t know how long it will take for the ‘word’ to be found. It could take a few minutes, or hours, or weeks, etc. I think we should have someone in here always. And let everyone else know as soon as the ‘word’ is found.”

     “I’m sorry,” said Borrele. “I shouldn’t have left the Control Chamber. It won’t happen again. I’m on my way back there right now.”

     “No need to do that,” said Angoria. “I’ll do it. It’s almost time for my turn anyway.”

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     It was almost a week later. But the word ‘Tonquri’ finally appeared on all the Information Monitors. Over that week there were several others. All the SpaceWizards got the chance to observe the Information System check out each one of those words. The final result was the word ‘Tonquri.’ And it was Borrele’s turn at watching The system when it came up. She contacted the other six SpaceWizards immediately. Within a few minutes, they were all there.

     “I don’t need this word to be tested for being a possible spell because I know it. It’s a planet not too far from here. Used to live on it a few thousand years ago.”

     A few seconds later Borrele continued. “We need to get there as quickly as we can. If they sent these letters to us like this, then they are in danger. Whatever that danger is it’s the reason why they sent them this way. It also explains why I was in my Sleeping Chamber when we got them. These letters were meant for me to discover.”


Word Count = 1,327

© Copyright 2017 PureSciFi (spacefaction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2123399-Day-29---The-Letters-from-No-One