*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2124263-INvasion
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2124263
When an alien invasion comes their assault will be subtle and quick.
INvasion,
By Stephen A Abell.



Number Of Words: 1000
Date Scribed: 5th July 2017
Date Completed: 6th July 2017




JUNE 4th

I saw something today. It ran… no, it slithered along the worktop between the kitchen sink and the windowsill. Had I not been wearing my glasses I would’ve missed it, for it was only a few millimetres long and insubstantial. My first thought was it might have been a silverfish, however, the size and shape were not as I recalled and it wasn’t the white or silver blue of memory; no, this creature appeared to possess the chameleon's ability to assume its surroundings colours.

Within seconds, it vanished from sight.

This occurred about three in the afternoon. Throughout the day, I returned numerous times to inspect the worktop, removing and replacing equipment. All to no avail. Had I imagined it(?) Was my depression and anxiety leading me down a darker avenue(?)


JUNE 5th

Morbidity held me prisoner in bed. I sanctioned myself to remain tucked up in the fetal position until the dark reflections of shiny sharp blades and open veins running red vacated my thoughts. So it was well into the PM before I stumbled yawning from the bedroom.

I popped a couple of meds from their pods and dry swallowed them as I entered the kitchen. They appeared as I poured the honey nut flakes into the bowl; I do love them so, but they no longer raise a smile… I’m starting to lose the small things now…

I digress; There were three of the insects and they were on the opposite side of the kitchen. One thing was immediately obvious, their size was double the length and girth of their brethren from yesterday. Their colour changing skills was more evident as I could see them, minus glasses, as they flittered over the worktop and cutting boards. I was in awe.

Did they see me, for they quickly turned and sped to the safety of the shadows at the rear of the breadbin? I immediately hoisted the receptacle into the air… I wasn’t surprised to see they had vanished.

Again, I went to and fro during the day. Nothing.

God! I hope these aren’t delusions.


JUNE 6th

Today began as a good day. No dark thoughts plagued me and I even felt a smile play at the corners of my lips.

The kitchen was infested.

I can’t understand why they only congregate there. Is there something in the dining room which keeps them at bay(?) The carpet(?) Something on the walls(?) And if there’s this many, for the cupboards, walls and ceiling have been enshrouded by hundreds of these beautiful, mysterious, and unnerving creatures, why haven’t I seen them before(?). How can I not have witnessed them somewhere other than my kitchen(?)

Derrick picked up the phone on the third ring and it only took a few sentences for him to realise something was awry. Within forty minutes. he was knocking on my door.

During this period, I took the opportunity to observe my ghostly guests; for they truly made me think of them as such with their constantly changing colours they appeared and disappeared - ghostlike.

There seemed to be no rhyme or reason in their movements, though I did note they never bumped into one another. Though they were in constant uncoordinated movement they never connected. It was hypnotic.

However, by the time I let Derrick in and escorted him to the kitchen they had once again departed.

Derrick stayed a few hours. We drank tea and chattered. I am thankful he’s never ridiculed me for my illness. I know I can be hard going sometimes.

After I let him out and bid him a safe journey, I slouched back towards the kitchen to start preparing dinner.

They were back.

It’s all in my head, I told myself as anxiety pulsed through me and, hyperventilating, I stepped onto the linoleum, they’re not real…

How wrong I was.


JUNE 10th

I awoke in the park today; though, I couldn’t familiarise it in my head as it was so different from my Autumn stroll through this man-made miniature Eden. Carnage will do that. The grass was stained scarlet and gleaming and glistening wet strips of flesh were scattered everywhere; the picnic tables; the playgrounds; the cricket pitch; something particularly nasty hung from the minute finger of the pavilion’s clock and a group of ravenous jackdaws were feasting.

I had caused this.

No sooner had my foot landed on the kitchen floor they had swarmed upon me. Some went for the quick route and slithered into my slippers, then under my nails searching for ingress. Their invasion was painful, though it was only the beginning as the rest sought out my every orifice. Fear and dread routed me, unmovable in terror.

I believe I passed out as they pushed their way up and under my eyelids. The thought of them sliding over my eyes turns my stomach even now.

Though the worst was yet to come.

The dreams and the voices.

Nightmares of death and decay of planets and universes of unimaginable creatures and the darkness where they reside; all of which are easily accessible with the human mind.

Garbled vocalisations, guttural and alien in both sound and language, though I understood everything they told me… and did everything they commanded.

The life is pouring out of me with every drop of my blood which stains the bandstands floor.

I was their host and whilst I dreamt they puppeteered my body through the streets of my town infecting everyone I came across. They, in turn, infected others. It wasn’t long before the township fell.

Once their conquest was achieved, I heard the dark manic laughter build inside my head and the nightmares took on a more visceral tint.

The surrounding massacre is their victory cry.

These little parasites, which I can feel dying within me, are masters of death and destruction. Their bloodshed has spanned galaxies and universes. Though they only live a few days it’s all they require.

The annihilation of humankind will be swift at lea…



© Copyright 2017 Pennywise (pennywise at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2124263-INvasion