*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2125981-After-The-Storm
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Espero
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #2125981
Musings and feelings of the before and after of storms.
Cooling down in the wind right after a thunderstorm gives me the most exhilarating feeling. I stand there with my hair blowing in the breeze, smelling the fresh air that only a new rain can bring to the senses. The wind teases and tickles my face. I close my eyes and imagine that I am standing on a beach somewhere. Maybe it's a wish that I've put off for too many years.

Funny things, thunderstorms. They bring a multitude of feelings; fear, excitement, beauty, mystery. Sometimes a loud crack of thunder can startle you awake from a deep sleep. My body reacts with a jerk. With natural instinct, many dogs are afraid of thunderstorms. They cower and shake. The poor animals must wonder what is happening - or they may know something that we don't.

If you're lucky enough to have a screened in porch with an overhanging roof that doesn't let in the rain, a thunderstorm can be relaxing as you listen to the splatter of drops softly hitting the ground. It splashes and grows as more drops accumulate into puddles. The soft rumble of the storm sounds like a giant snoring in the sky. Sometimes I count the seconds after a rumble and wait for the lightning that will surely follow.

Rainbows? What can bring a smile to your face faster than a beautiful rainbow in the sky. We all think we have been in a fairy tale at that moment.

On rare occasions, if the rain is warm and gentle, I like to sneak out the back door and wash my hair. Nature's faucet returns the softest, shining locks.

If a storm happens at bedtime, I hope I can crack the window open just a bit without letting in the rain. There is nothing better for lulling you to sleep than the sound of water drip, drip, dripping.

Lightning is another thing. Obviously, we all know better than to stand outside during a lightning storm. To see a lightning bolt from a distance can be exciting. On rare occasions, you may even see a bolt hit the ground. Scary and beautiful at the same time. Hopefully, if you do, it is from a distance. I never make the mistake of underestimating the power of lightning.

If it hails, then you have a moment of wary anticipation, hoping that fields and cars aren't being damaged or that no one got caught outside in it. It's always fun to sneak open the door and grab a handful; sometimes if they are big, you freeze them to show everyone afterwards.

The after storm is a sight to behold. The world sparkles with glistening drops of water. If the sun happens to come out, it creates an aura of color. Birds chirp and flutter their wings in a bathtub created just for them. Squirrels leap and run as if they have received a gift from above, which I guess they have. Ducks and geese seem to enjoy their swim even more in the newly refreshed water.

How fortunate we are to receive the bounties of nature, be it rain, food produce, or visions of splendor all around. Everything in moderation is good. I hope that none of us have to experience a time when nature decides to unleash its force in the form of a hurricane, tornado, flood, or deadly lightning strike.

561 Words




© Copyright 2017 Espero (espero at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2125981-After-The-Storm