*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2126121-Bridge-Club
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2126121
Flash Fiction
Bridge Club

“Jane, please! We can’t play if we don’t find someone to substitute for poor Helen! Ruth and Alice and I will end up spending the whole night serving snacks to the lucky tables that still have four. I just want to play bridge!”

Jane looked at her mother, “I don’t believe a word of this. And why can’t ‘poor Helen’ play tonight?”

“She has a fever, it just popped up this afternoon.”

“So, this actually isn’t another elaborate plan to set me up with someone...?”

“Of course not, I promised I wouldn’t do that anymore. Besides there are only three men in the Bridge Club, Al Rowe who plays with his wife, Andrew Peloton, your fifth-grade teacher... and Henry Tibbs who is a good hundred and thirty years old. Who would I set you up with?”

“Stop trying to trick me by being reasonable! This just better not be another set up...”

“Great! We’ll go together, I’ll drive you home after, OK?”

They went off to Bridge Club. As soon as they walked in the door, there was someone new. Jane looked at her mother, pointedly, but she shrugged.

He turned out to have been sent by Helen! Then Ruth had brought someone too, also to sub for Helen. Ruth’s sub was a woman their age, and anxious to get into the club, so she stayed.

Jane, and Helen’s guy, actually her nephew, Andrew, stood at the side and began talking. Eventually, he offered her a ride home. As they left, Jane’s mother telephoned Helen. “It worked!!!” she said, “Your nephew is driving Jane home!!!” They chatted excitedly about their subterfuge.

Jane, however was not fooled, nor was Andrew. As they laughed over coffee at the audacity of their relatives, somehow, neither of them seemed to mind anymore.
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2126121-Bridge-Club