*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2126859-KNOCK-KNOCK
Rated: E · Poetry · LGBTQ+ · #2126859
This poem was inspired by the young LGBTQ I volunteer with. They inspire me to be more.

Knock. Knock.

Knock. Knock. It's me. I'm the child you created but then refused to see. No drugs. No violence. Never did anything wrong. The only mistake I made, took sixty seconds too long. I sat down with you both since, you know, I thought we were close. Decided to share my truth. Mom. Dad. I love you. We love you too. I needed to share a part of me that was hidden from you. I couldn't find the words to say. So I just blurted it out--I think I'm gay...

A hush filled the room then BOOM dad screamed louder than ever before, didn't let me explain, jumped up, and just opened the door. Leave now I can't bear to see your face. You disgust me. You're such a disgrace. Displaced love quickly turned into hate...wait.

Knock. Knock. I've come back to say. When you tossed me out just for being gay, you discarded me, and condemned me to hell. I almost got lost, down into darkness I fell. I loved you unconditionally, with the heart of a child. My heart hardened. I was bitter for a while. Today I stand in a better place and needed to come by and see your face to show you I made it--despite your hate.

Your homophobic, melodramatic, almost archaic beliefs threatened to claim my soul. But, I didn't let them. It took some time but I snatched control of a life forgotten, as I roamed downtrodden, withered down to nothing. I rose one morning never to wilt again. I found my place in a world built on the foundation of the discarded before me. I let go of my anger and hate for you as I slowly embraced the love I had for me. I found my strength among my friends that have now replaced you. My family, they accept my truth...

Knock. Knock. I'm gay.


Written by Stacey L. Pierce
2012 by Stacey Pierce


© Copyright 2017 pierce67 (pierce67 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2126859-KNOCK-KNOCK