*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2126867-GOING-TO-GRANDMAS-HOUSE
Rated: E · Article · Biographical · #2126867
It's always nice to get away from home for awhile, to visit relatives or special friends!
When I was young, one of the highlights in life I was blessed to enjoy was visiting with my grandparents for a week or two at their home in Detroit, Michigan. I was born in Detroit in 1946, and until my Dad was transferred from the GM stamping plant in Pontiac, Michigan, to the one in Ontario, Ohio, in 1957, spent many happy years living in Detroit, or outside of Detroit, around Keego Harbor, then in Pontiac. During those years, it was always a joy, as most kids find, to spend time visiting with my grandparents by myself at their house, especially, in the summertime when school was out.

My grandmother was a fun lady to hang around with, always smiling and enjoying her life, doing things with family and friends. She loved to cook and bake, and made some of the most delicious meals I've ever had in my life! My favorite home-cooked meal is: meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, peas, and a salad of tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumbers. This is my favorite because my grandmother made the best meal of these ingredients I've ever tasted! Then she topped it off with homemade cream pies, my favorite of these being her chocolate cream pie!!! Yummmmm, yuummm, yummmm, and double yummmm-yummmm!!!

My grandmother also loved watching favorite daytime dramas on CBS, as well as, doing the daily Word Search Puzzles featured in the two Detroit newspapers, and her love of each of these influenced my own enjoyment of them. My favorite daytime dramas became THE EDGE OF NIGHT and THE GUIDING LIGHT, because they featured police and lawyer crime storylines to follow, plus, they were on after I got home from school. And you know how much I've enjoyed Word Search Puzzles over the years.

My grandmother also loved flowers and created and had fun attending to the flower beds she developed in her backyard and along the side of her house.

My grandfather's special joy was to maintain and drive his favorite make of car, a red Pontiac, year after year, until he was too old to drive a car. One of my special memories of my grandfather is watching him drive his Pontiac out of his garage, park it in his driveway, get out all his equipment, and wash his Pontiac with pride and joy, every week, during my visit. He had such FUN doing that!!!

Another FUN thing my grandparents enjoyed doing with their grandson was sitting around the dining room table playing board games, such as PARCHEESI and SORRY! We also went for rides in my grandfather's Pontiac outside Detroit to visit relatives in Plymouth, Michigan, and other towns.

All in all, this was a GREAT time of my life, with LOTS of special memories created to treasure through the years.
© Copyright 2017 Steve McLean (stevemclean46 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2126867-GOING-TO-GRANDMAS-HOUSE