*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2127991-Painting-the-future
Rated: E · Fiction · Arts · #2127991
Artist paints an historic house without the tourists. Then she meets a man.
The artist opened her paint box, dampened her brush and started. Before her was a handsome half-timbered house complete with moat and gatehouse. She worked on in that hot summer's day. The picture developed but did not show the many visitors who trooped passed. She disliked their intrusion with garish tops and shorts into this piece of Tudor history.

Then she sighted an old man in straw hat and linen jacket stop and gaze at the house. He was perfect for inclusion just at the bridge over the moat.

Soon she finished her work as the shadows drifted towards afternoon. So, she collected her gear and arose. To her surprise, there beside her was the gentleman she had portrayed.

They talked, and she asked if he knew the house well.
'Yes’ he replied 'many years ago I lived here'.
'My uncle once owned it and I stayed each summer as a boy '.
'Do you miss it?' asked the artist.
'Yes, but you can't turn the clocks back. Now it’s the property of the tourists who pay for the upkeep'.

He paused and said: 'Why don't you paint it again including the visitors-that’s the picture of the future?'

A few minutes later he left with the first picture and the painter started again remembering that time runs in only one direction.


© Copyright 2017 Graham Douglas (stradella at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2127991-Painting-the-future