*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2128057-I-Would-Walk
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Comedy · #2128057
Tony signed his friend up for the Nijmeegse Vierdaagse without properly explaining.
“I did not sign up for this!” I yelled at Tony, someone I had previously considered my friend.
“You agreed to do this with me, Patrick. You most definitely signed up for this,” Tony said, walking on like it was nothing. I hobbled along beside him trying to keep up.
“Some fresh air, you said. Some walking you said. Just a few days, you said. It’ll be fun, you said.”
“Well, it is just a few days,” Tony argued.
“I am never trusting you again,” I told him bitterly.
“You said that after the bungee jump and the road trip.”
“Well, I mean it this time!” If I was honest, I was probably madder at myself than at Tony. I mean, I really should’ve Googled this shit before I said yes.
Tony didn’t say anything, but he handed me a bottle of water and I took it gratefully.
“You can quit if you want.”
My legs hurt and I was pretty sure that there were blisters on my blisters where my feet were considered, but we’d nearly made it through the second day at this point and I had to admit, it was beautiful here. The weather was perfect for this trek, if a little chilly in the evenings, something so foreign to me in July. In my native Georgia, it was likely about 100 degrees today.
“I don’t want to let the Cornelissen’s down. They’ve been so kind and they seem so excited for us to do this.”
Tony smiled. “Sure, you wouldn’t want to let them down. Nothing about not letting me down after you said you would do this with me.”
“Shut up, I’m still mad at you.”
“It’s best if you save your breath anyway.”
I shoved Tony lightly, so as not to knock him into any of the other participants that surrounded us. I took another drink of water before breathing in deep. I took comfort in the thought that I was almost half way through this walk and then I’d get to brag about it for years to come. And we were close to the town. “Oh, something smells delicious.”

© Copyright 2017 Float On Alright (khill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2128057-I-Would-Walk