*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2128600-The-Thing
by Kac
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #2128600
For the contest
23th of August, year 1997.

It was full moon that night in a small town called Richmond. The streets were silent and empty. You could only hear the wind whispering through the streets. But the silence is soon to be broken. They were in the dark alley.

Matt was standing right next to his father. He was smiling. Satisfied with the work he has done. He is tired,but he can't move his eyes away from that thing. His father is also looking at it. Speechless. Scared.

"Did you see what I did, dad?" Matt asked his dad keeping the eyes in the same direction. His father didn't say a word. He barely blinked through this whole time.

"Did you see what I did!?" Matt raised his voice and looked at his father. Silence.

Matt was getting angry. Upset. He was breathing heavily, not because his father didn't answer, but because his father didn't believe in him. He finally created something. Something that can help the research. A small step forward in achieving something amazing. Matt thought his actions were right. "You were wrong. I was ready." Matt added. His father remained silent. Matt kept looking at him. "What? You're gonna steal my progress?". Still silence from his father. "Say something!?." Matt yelled.

"Dad!?" Matt yelled again.
"I see what you did." His father replies. Broken. Tears fill his eyes. He remains breathless, he could barely speak.

"Are you proud of me now,dad?" Matt was smiling. Matt's face turnes into confusion after five seconds of silence. His father looked at him. All hope in his eyes died. Broken into million pieces. He said "You did it." Dramatic pause, then he continued. "You did everything to prove me wrong. You did nothing right..." His voice was trembling. "You weren't ready. You went on your own and messed up. And worst of all. There's no going back now". He kept looking at his son. He never raised his voice.

Matt was stunned. He never expected that reaction from his father. His eyes got filled with tears. It became harder to breathe. He looked away. He looked at that thing. He can still feel fathers look on him. Watching him. After few seconds Matt finally asks "What do we do now?". You could feel the fear in Matt's voice.

The Thing started moving. The creaking sound of the metal and the rotting smell was unbearable. It looked like it was trying to say something, but it couldn't. It looked like a hump of fresh meat. No arms or legs. No mouth or head. But yet, it was alive...

His father was looking at it. "Now." He looks at Matt and their eyes meet. Matt was scared more then ever before. He didn't see what a huge mistake he made and that his father will never trust him again. His father wasn't focused on who's right or wrong anymore. The fear and disappointment were gone from his face,but just for the brief moment. He knew what needs to be done. He continues with the resolute and cold voice. "Now we kill it".

(Word count - 517)
© Copyright 2017 Kac (karlo556 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2128600-The-Thing