*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2129003-The-Old-Bookstore
Rated: E · Short Story · Psychology · #2129003
A chance visit to a second-hand bookshop brings a shock.
I clambered up the stairs to the second-hand bookstore. Sitting in piles of stock sat the owner reading behind a tatty desk. Pinned above him, was a notice proclaiming, ‘There is a book here for you!’ I doubted it. Yet I searched in the novels, hobbies and history sections. Even the personal development and spirituality shelves held nothing to grab my imagination.

So, I couldn't resist the temptation to return to the desk. I remarked - ' I can't find my book.' The old man smiled and said, 'it's there behind you!'
I turned and saw a volume bearing my name.

On opening, I read of my early life, my youth and my recent stagnating years. Before me were the days of success and failure, happiness and sadness, peace and struggle. Finally, I found a paragraph starting - 'I clambered up the stairs.....'

The remaining pages were blank. In my surprise, I turned to the shopkeeper. He was offering a pen and gesturing that I write something afresh.

Now, what would you write?
© Copyright 2017 Graham Douglas (stradella at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2129003-The-Old-Bookstore