*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2129235-Sexism-against-women
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #2129235
This is about what sexism is like for women, and against women. [UPDATED]
Proposition Paper Topic--SEXISM.


         Sexism. Definition - prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex. Sexism against women is a BIG thing, it affects about half of the population. There are different types of sexism in the world like Personality traits, Domestic behavior, Jobs/Occupation, Physical appearance. Stereotyped media: Disney, Barbie, Commercials/AD’s, Songs. Job denial, Sexual Harassment, Lack of Faith, Unequal Pay and Promotions, Objectivity, Victim Blaming, The stay in the kitchen View, Women Are Too Emotional. And more but these are some of the main things. How would you feel if ALL these things happened to you?

         Sexism against women affects about 50.8 percent of the U.S. Women are treated not as equals but as underlings to men. Sexism against women can range from being the butt of the joke like being told to go back to the kitchen where they “belong” you know what I say about that, “Remember, the kitchen is where the knives are” to being objectified by others. Equal pay is a big thing women don’t have EQUAL PAY, on average a woman earns 79 cents to every dollar a man earns or 77-79% of what a man earns. Women need equal rights, equal pay, not to be ridiculed for trying to work or make a living for their family. Where men are not, they are encouraged to. As young girls, they are taught to wear “modest” clothing so boys don’t get “distracted” in school. So does that mean that they are more focused on boy’s education than girls?

         Some of the most common or basic stereotypes of women are: Personality Traits, Domestic Behavior, Occupations for women (clean jobs), Inequality to Men, and word LADYLIKE. People perceive women to be shy, submissive, and passive, or organized and clean. Women are supposed to cook, clean, raise the children, and aren’t supposed to work. Women are supposed to be short, slender, and small + delicate. Women work clean jobs such as teachers, nurses, secretaries, and librarians. Female gender stereotypes always play on the notion of women’s inequality to men. Women are weaker, less competitive, and less adaptable to harsh environments outside the house. Basically, women are weak and “damsels in distress” and need saving by “prince charming” who apparently knows everything. And “LADYLIKE” – definition - appropriate for or typical of a well-bred, decorous woman or girl. Sexist. People use this word to describe how women are “supposed to be” or act. I find that a very SEXIST term.

         There is also stereotyped media like Disney, Barbie, Commercials and AD’s, and Songs. Disney a gender stereotype that gives girls unrealistic goals for lifelike body weight, happy endings, and prince charming. Barbie sets unreal body expectations and if Barbie were real she would be about 5’9”, 39”chest, 18” waist, and 33”hips. So yeah, definitely unrealistic. It is a Men’s or Women’s ad that women are often shown as objects of beauty and domesticity, usually appearing in seductive, in full shot ads while men advertise are shown mostly in close-ups and are more “masculine”. Or women are shown as the housewife that is obsessed with a kitchen appliance or trying a new lipstick or makeup or perfume, so they are showing it off to the guy, they could be in a men’s ad as the women flirting with the guy because of his new cologne. They use women as a sexual object. There are more like the health nut women who want all organic food so she can be healthy and slim, so she can get guys or to please her husband/boyfriend.


         Some other examples of sexism in the world are Job Denial, Sexual Harassment, Lack of Faith, Unequal Pay and Promotions, Objectivity, Victim Blaming, The Stay in the Kitchen/Barefoot and Pregnant View, and the view of Women are Too Emotional. Some believe women can’t do the job as well as men so they don’t promote the women but the men even if the woman is more experienced in that field than the man. Also, 1 in 3 women have been discriminated against in their own workplace and it could have been one of many things. Like sexual harassment, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) receives MORE than 11,000 sexual harassment complaints per year. About 84% of those complaints from EEOC come from women which means about 9,240 out of 11,000 come from women, which leaves 1760 from men, how come the women’s one is about 5 times more than men’s? Or Lack of Faith of women doing a job.
© Copyright 2017 S. Winchester (swinchester83 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2129235-Sexism-against-women