*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2129441-The-train-to-for-The-Writers-Cramp
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2129441
At some point we just want to enjoy something simple.
It's a typical Thursday night in Detroit. I'm just off work from designing concept cars for next year's auto show. The theme our company is going for is "Detroit Dream's: Return of American Muscle". Sure, these concept cars are gorgeous in design, but thanks too the head project fund manager, a man with too much oil money that only lives in his "youth", all theses cars are simply fast toys that waste fuel.

He believes that "true muscle" doesn't use computers, advance technology, or "d'em fancy fuels"...idiot. Some how I was talked into working for this guy, two year contract and all, without ever being told his true plans and motives. I'll take that as a lesson learned. I enjoy the work of design and the fact that downtown Detroit is slowly on the up and up, but to me, I still often see the pile of trash and rubble that it has been for so long. Broken buildings and windows. Vacant lots, empty offices, weekly fires, and a small army worth of homeless. I understand companies can stimulate economic growth and give a city re-birth, but what am I being part of?

When people hear, think, talk about this country's "mitten"; Detroit is pretty much the only thing considered. Unfortunately, across our advance civilization, U.S. of A, no one ever wants to notice the "boring outside". The most "nature" one ever gets is a 30 minute walk in some barely kept park along the increasingly filthy Detroit river. "Pseudo-nature". That's all they're getting. But I'm aware of the obvious secret; Michigan, is absolutely beautiful. What's even more obvious, but hardly known it seems, is that, in the time it takes for one's bland illusion of a "nature walk", they can get to some actual woods, rivers, and life just outside the Detroit Metro area. However, for me, I want to get lost.

So, I called in sick. Luckily my friend is a doctor in the city. According to his note I have "the flu". I mean, I am feeling sick, it's just a sickness of concrete cement, metal gray tones, endless road construction and people that never smile. Now I know this little lie may not be "ethical", but neither is wasting loads of money on life size Matchbox cars. I feel no shame for a needed four day weekend, they'll be fine back at the office. As for me, come early tomorrow morning before sunrise, I'll be sitting comfy and relaxed in the soft plush leather seat of the 457 Northbound train to Mackinac. I'll get off at a crossover station just south of the city, and into "pure nature" I go. Sure, I enjoy Detroit, but, the most beautiful thing about Detroit is taking the train to "Michigan".


Words=461
© Copyright 2017 Craig Henders (craighenders at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2129441-The-train-to-for-The-Writers-Cramp