*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2130220-The-After-Party
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Psychology · #2130220
When things are not as they seem.
         Everything is silent now as I open my eyes. It's an eerie sensation when all you last remember is loud loud loud, and now it's just quiet and empty. I sit up sorely from the hard floor and look around. Plastic red cups litter the room, and crumbs range from chips to vulgar chunks of things I can't identify. I have a headache from the pain and confusion from the party earlier, and it throbs so that I have to stand up from my place on the rug and venture into the kitchen to find the aspirin.
         I walk unsteadily through the trash plaguing the house and finally reach the opening to the kitchen. I walk directly to the cabinet, which resides on the wall opposite the opening, and I reach inside to find the aspirin gone. Of course. I curse under my breath and bang my fists on the kitchen counter sending the plastic cups scattering across the grey granite. I turn around to walk back out of the room when I see a small girl with smeared makeup standing in the opening.
         "Oh!" I say, "I didn't realize anyone was still here." She stares at me and I realize that her eyes look sunken and tired.
         "Do you want some water?" I say and she nods gratefully. I turn around to find the glasses when, of course, they are also mysteriously gone from the cabinet.
         I sigh, "Crap, sorry, I--"
         "It's fine, really," she says and stands next to me.
         I run my hands through my brunette curls and ask, "What's your name?"
         "Poppy," she answers, smiling.
         "I'm Hannah," I say.
         "Fun party, huh?" Poppy says grinning. I laugh. I can't really remember how fun it was, but looking at the state of the house, it must have been crazy.
         "Yeah, I guess," I say and walk towards the door, "I'm going to the store to get some aspirin, need anything?"
She runs after me, "Do you mind if I come? I need some fresh air anyways."
         "Okay, sure," I smile leading her out the door.
         The sun is high in the sky, so it must be at least 1 p.m. I continue to talk to her as she walks briskly trying to keep up with my long strides.
         "So, do you go to Roundview High?" I ask.
         "Yeah, I'm a senior. You?"
         "Same here! Wow, I've never seen you around. That's weird, huh?" I say studying her face. A woman pushing a stroller passes us, giving us dirty looks.
         "What's her problem?" Poppy says, sticking her tongue out at the woman's back. I follow Poppy's gesture and laugh, and the woman turns around to look at us again.
         "Get some help, okay?" she says and rushes away.
         I turn to Poppy, and she just shrugs. We continue down the road, and I see familiar red hair bobbing in the distance. Her feet pound the pavement, jogging towards me.
         The red hair waves and I wave back shouting, "Karen, hey!" Karen slows down as she reaches us sweaty and red-faced.
         "Hi, Hannah! What are you doing?" Karen smiles.
         "I'm walking to the store to get some aspirin. This is Poppy," I say pointing to the small girl beside me.
         Karen looks at Poppy blankly and turns to me, "Hannah, what are you playing at?" she says crossing her arms.
         "What do you mean?" I say, "I'm just--what's the problem?"
         Karen shakes her head, "Who is Poppy?"
         "She is," I say pointing at Poppy again.
         Poppy laughs, "Wow, she's not that bright, is she?"
         "Poppy," I warn her. Then to Karen I say, "Sorry, it's just been a long night for both of us."
         "Yeah, no doubt about that," Karen mumbles, looking concerned, "Hannah, are you sure you're alright? When was the last time you saw your doctor? You're starting to talk to yourself again."
         "Are you kidding me? Poppy's right here! She's as real as you or me! Look, I can touch her," I say pushing Poppy towards Karen.
         "Hey! Watch it," Poppy grumbles as she loses her balance and falls in the road, "Ow, God, Hannah."
         "You see her, don't you? She's right there! You've got to see her!" I scream with conviction. Poppy stands up and turns to me and suddenly, faster than I can scream, a car shoots across the road. A sickening thud resounds through the ground and I watch as the car drives away and Poppy is left crumpled, lying on the road.
         "Poppy!" I shout, running blindly into the street.
         "No! Hannah, there are cars!" Karen runs after me. I am sitting beside a heap of Poppy and I start to cry. Karen is telling the cars to go around while I cry next to Poppy.
         "It's going to be okay, Hannah," Karen says sweetly as if she is talking to a child.
A man in one of the cars calls to Karen, "Hey, is she alright?"
         "Yeah, I'm going to get her to the doctor soon," Karen reassures him and waves for him to move around me. I grin at Karen; I guess she really does see Poppy.
         "Don't worry, Poppy. Karen will get you to the hospital," I say. Then, Poppy's mouth twitches and her face comes alive as she stares up at me.
         "Whoa, why the tears?" Poppy says, laughing. She smiles as she moves to stand up. She towers above me and my tears, and I stare at her in amazement. She has no scrapes, no bruises. Her hair is still perfectly in place, and I come to the realization that something's not right. I study her and her expressions, and through her, I see the trees and grass.
         "You ready to go?" Karen says.
         I nod, "Yeah, I think we should go now." And we head to the doctor's office.

© Copyright 2017 b.louisa (b.louisa at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2130220-The-After-Party