*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2131825-Roadkill
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2131825
Something isn't right. Daily Flash Fiction entry
David had 10 kilometres to go until the hotel. It was 11:30, and he'd caught himself dozing off a couple of times.

He turned on the radio full blast, much to the chagrin of his wife. A few minutes later, Emily couldn't be bothered with the song and fell asleep.

Tapping his finger on the wheel, he smiled. Driving while playing eurobeat was so cool.

THUMP!

"Huh? Did we hit something?" Emily said, waking up with a start.

David stepped onto the side of the road, eurobeat still playing into the night. A bloody trail behind the car led to the roadkill.

"Oh my god... How is there so much blood..." Emily mumbled behind him.

David felt all the hairs on his neck stand up.

"It might still be alive..." He said, walking up to the carcass.

There really was too much blood. On closer inspection, multiple bite wounds had been made on the neck and flank. Bloody pawprints led to the forest beyond.

"It looks dead to me." Emily said, examining the body.

Running back to the car. David turned off the radio and the engine.

Total silence.

"Not even a cricket..." He whispered.

"Help me bury–"

"Leave it. I have a bad feeling." He replied, shaking his head.

David grabbed Emily and sprinted to the car, turning the keys in the ignition, he sped off as fast as he could.

Only a few seconds passed before they discovered a tree blocking the road.

David heard something laugh.

"Emily, did you–" He froze. Emily was gone.

Further down the road, Ben was driving to the hotel with his wife, Sarah. He still had 10 kilometres to go.

THUMP!
© Copyright 2017 Quarter Over (quarterover at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2131825-Roadkill