*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2132146-Components-of-a-well-written-chapter
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Assignment · Writing · #2132146
Components
Components of a well written chapter:


Basic Components of a Well Written Chapter

1. Backstory – The experiences of a character or the circumstances of an event that occur before the action or narrative of literary = (vocabulary used in books), cinematic, or dramatic work. Background. Background conditions and events leading to a real-life condition. A prequel. = (something that occurred earlier.

2. Character Development – refers to the process of creating a believable character in fiction, depth, personality, looks, quirks, vocabulary etc.

3. Scene Setting – the environment or surrounding in which an event or story takes place. Setting could be simply descriptive like a lonely cottage on a mountain. Social conditions, historical time, geographical locations, weather, immediate surroundings, and timing are all different aspects of setting.

4. Exposition that moves the story – a literary device used to introduce background information about events, settings, characters etc. to the readers. The word comes from the Latin language and its literal meaning is “a showing forth.” Exposition is crucial to any story, for without it, nothing makes sense.

5. Dialogue that moves the story – A dialogue is a literary technique in which writers employ two or more characters in interaction vocal or otherwise. It can create conflict in the plot, highlight the vernacular = (suitable for speech only)… and moves the storyline forward.

6. Foreshadowing – a literary device in which the writer gives an advance hint of what is to come later in the story. Foreshadowing often appears at the beginning of a story or a chapter and helps the reader develop expectations about the coming events in a story.

7. Symbolism – In literature, symbolism can take many forms including: A figure of speech where an object, person, or situation has another meaning other than its literal meaning. The actions of a character, word, action, or event that have a deeper meaning in the context of the whole story.

8. Flashbacks – an interruption of the chronological sequence. Interruptions that writers use to insert past events in order to provide background or context to the current events of a narrative.

9. Internal Dialogue – Internal dialogue is used by authors to indicate what a character is thinking. Refers to a character thinking the exact thoughts as written, often in 1st person. Notice that quotation marks and other punctuation are used as if the character had spoken aloud. Written in italics.

10. Subtext – An implicit meaning or theme of literary text. The underlying personality of a character as implied or indicated by script or text and interpreted by an actor. Implicit = implied though not plainly
© Copyright 2017 Chrys O'Shea (kb6vas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2132146-Components-of-a-well-written-chapter