*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2132854-Old-City-Jail
Rated: E · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2132854
My story about a haunted jail In Charleston South Carolina.
My friends and I went on a little vacation a little get away sort to speak. We wanted to escape our lives for just a few days it was a Thursday afternoon we had planned this trip awhile ago and today was the day we were finally going to "Charleston South Carolina."

The drive there took us what seemed like an eternity we left on Wednesday Morning and we got to Charleston on Thursday at like 1:00pm. We stayed at a hotel over night. We checked into one of the fanciest Hotels there "The French quarter" it was a 5 story hotel the staff were all very nice the door man took all of our bags as we checked in with the lady at the desk she gave us some wine from the "Happy hour" bar. And we asked her since it was our first time in Charleston what there was to do? She told us the city is a magnificent place to be there is so much history to learn. And said we should consider taking a horse and buggy ride of the city.

And too take some ghost tours once Night time came. Mark my other friend who was very interested in the paranormal had asked "what kind of ghost tours were there?" The lady laughed well. There is "The rated R ghost tour, where they take you too where strip clubs once were and where sex slaves were a big thing. There is a providence Dungeon tour where we take you through a Haunted Dungeon! If you like walking tours we have a graveyard and cemetery walking tours and our most famous ghost tour is our very own "Old City Jail tour where we take you inside of the haunted jail that was operational in 1802 and closed in 1939. It housed thousands of criminals including "Lavinia Fisher americas first known women Serial killer".

I'm sold! Mark said how can we do it? Well I will call the company right know. She picks up the phone and calls the Company. (I don't have permission to say the company's name for this story so I'm not saying it on purpose) "hi yes I have three customers interested in "The old city Jail for tonight" ok thanks. Alright I got you set up for a tour at 8:00 pm tonight. Thanks we said. As she handed us our key we left to walk to our hotel room. Our suit was on the 3rd floor.

We entered the room was pretty big we had a tv we had two king sized beds witch was nice because me and amber could sleep in the same bed and Mark would have his own bed. I walked over to the window pulled the shades down the city was beautiful cobblestone roads horse and buggies a few cars. The buildings were all very old witch made them very cool and trees grew off the sides of some buildings. It took us about a half hour to unpack our bags and got the city.

We left our hotel and walked down the streets we greeted a few people and they greeted us back we had a fantastic lunch at a restaurant known as "Poogans porch" it was also haunted by a young lady and her dog.

We left and continued down the road and caught a horse and buggy ride we learned more about the city. And after we went back up to our hotel to get ready for dinner it was 6:30 and we had our Ghost tour of "the old city jail" to look forward too that Night. We got to dinner about fifteen minutes later and we ate at another really good restaurant. And then we had left to meet our ghost tour.

We got to our set destination that the lady had told us to go. There was a crowd of thirty people with us. "Hello my name is Rodger." And I'll be your guide tonight. He said. As we started following him he asked us where we were originally from. And we told him it was our first time here. He said I hope you have a great first stay. We said "Yes" he was glade. As we started to walk down the Cobblestone roads towards the jail Rodger had told us that the jail was operational in 1802 and housed many criminals including slaves and pirates Not to mention Lavinia Fisher and John Fisher. We approached the jail. It was huge it was a four story building with a two story octagonal tower. And said the octagonal wing replaced a fire proof wing with individual cells in 1822.

Witch was badly damaged "Five years later by an earthquake. The towers had bars on all the windows and the pavement was cracked. It had a very eerie feeling to it. Rodger than grabbed the keys and asked us if we wanted to go inside we all walked up to a door that was constructed in the 1800s.

He opened it and we all entered. He turned in a light. Originally the power was out but we well need electricity to see he said to the group laughing. Forgive the heat it is not even kidding about 400 degrees. The jail was kept that hot as punishment to the inmates and each cell would house anywhere from twenty to thirty inmates in one cell. Until they either died from diseases or the plague. Guards would stand watch upon the towers armed with snipers in case you tried to escape. As you can see it wasn't a pleasant place to be. Rodger said.

We walked over to a flight of stairs and walked up there was a big cage and a machine. Rodger stopped this cage housed Lavinia Fisher for awhile and this Machine is a known torture device "The rack" you were placed in it and the machine stretched you to death. People took pictures. As Rodger continued talking Mark slipped out and walked up the stairs he opened a door and found a bunch of cells he walked bye them and stopped near one he got a weird feeling and said I can't move. He managed to turn his head and saw the light bulb burst into many little pieces and then a figure appeared it was a young women. She started to laugh. Mark kept staring at her and she floated closer and the room started to shake as she flew as fast as she could right at him. Mark screamed as he felt her pass by him. Rodger came in the room and said "Your not allowed in here" mark said he saw a young women and what she did.

Hmm that must have been "Lavinia" he sounded interested. And mark and him left the room. Mark told Tom and Amber what happened. He was scared.

We started to walk down the stairs to leave the jail after everyone left it was just the three of us we walked down the stairs the ground started to shake violently again and two red eyes came out in the center of the room. And The young women appeared laughing again. We ran to the exit but it was locked. We banged on the door. We turned around horrified to see the women was slowly making her way down the stairs towards us. She than said "Come and get them John" and we saw another person all in black come down the steps screaming "You shouldn't have come" we banged on the door as hard as we could as the man started making his way down the steps with Lavinia.

The man walked up to Mark and raised his hint hands we were frozen with fear we couldn't believe we were seeing spirits of two know. Serial killers. Next thing we knew Rodger was at the door and let us out and apologized and said that the door ha never done that before. We were terrified. Needless to say we left that night. We were supposed to stay all night but we left and came home early the next day. We drove straight through the night and got back home around about two p.m. Saturday Afternoon. Our parents asked why we were home so soon.

We of course didn't tell them what had happened we made up some bogus lie about having to be at work for an emergency. We never went back to Charleston South Carolina again. And Mark checked into a medical facility for his trauma. Me and amber also took a rehab for a couple months. We had never experienced anything so frightening in our lives. A part of me wanted to Learn more so I google the jail and Lavinia. And found out we had visited the jail on the anniversary of her and her husbands death February 18,1820 she was hung to death with her husband. His last words were "You shouldn't have come". I showed this to Amber she was scared and I would have showed Mark but he was now locked up in the rehabilitation center. And was not getting released anytime soon that night changed his life forever he became crazy.
© Copyright 2017 Nickmeraglio1 (nickmeraglio1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2132854-Old-City-Jail