*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2132891-What-once-was
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Poetry · Emotional · #2132891
C'est la vie
The candlelight burns Shadows play on the wall,
my life in pantomime from rise to fall. Tis a torrid reminder of the pain that's been done

With a strong gust from my lips and a finger pinch; to snuff the flame proved to not be a cinch.

This was a battle that could not be won. Fore' no end was in sight for this wicked wick of the wax

It's mockery of my ways; a constant tax, the deed must be done.

I sit and stare as the shades play their game my head drifting low;the relenting shame.

Before me on the wooden surface i'm growing old and gray, though but not yet half my time is gone, I can't help but look on and long.

Every white hair is an ivory reminder; a past love, and what went wrong.

Midway upon the journey of my life I've came about a smile; one that brings promises of no pain, but makes my heart race a mile.

As a boy in school, a crush blossomed into love for a princess with whom I cherished none above.

Lucky am I to have stumbled upon a soul; that's the most beautiful that my eyes have lain.

Her lips muddy the past, My mind she set firmly in the present. Her kiss as from a Queen; Though I, a lowly peasant.

The flames lick the surface and I grow hot with fear; I know what comes next, the shadows grow near.

Tormented by my thoughts, I pushed and I shoved; I let myself slip away from the one that I loved.

Depression took the best of me as it stripped the black from my hair In my head I was alone; I couldn't face her stare.

My heart ripped in two to form a beast of my own making, though willing was she to join my undertaking.

Yet, I ran, away from her embrace, the one soul on this earth who would battle my demons; face to face.

My tears try in vain to dowse the fire; I beg of you, my regret is dire. Stop this play, for I know now what I've lost; "Too little, too late", they mock what my demons had cost.

A wind sweeps in to smother the heat... "Alas, I am beat" - I crawl back alone in my head to sleep.
© Copyright 2017 PsychoServant (scientia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2132891-What-once-was