*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2133452-The-Star
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2133452
Flash Fiction
The Star

Susie touched the ribbon in her hair, she wasn’t sure she liked something tied in her hair, and she couldn’t see it. The woman who tied it there pushed her hand down.

“Leave that alone, it looks cute!” and then she turned to another woman and started talking about something else.

Susie touched it again, but she didn’t pull it out like she intended to the first time. She knew the woman would just tie it back in. She’d wait for Mom to show up and then Mom would pull it out. Just then Mom did show up and the first thing she did was pick Susie up and pull the bow out of her hair.

“I thought that looked cute!” the woman said.

“She’s not here to be cute, she’s here to be herself and she doesn’t like things tied in her hair. Unless there’s a specific reason for that bow it’s out, and if there is a specific reason for something like that I need to know well ahead of time so I can introduce it to her slowly, so she will accept it. Do you understand?”

The woman looked at Mom, and said “Yes Mam,” then walked away. Susie saw her roll her eyes at the other woman as she passed her, but Mom missed it. Susie knew enough to know that if Mom had seen it she would have gone off like a rocket. Mom always protected her and she had little patience for the people who worked on the shows. Susie happily snuggled further down into Mom’s arms.

The bow woman turned to the other woman as soon as “Mom” was out of ear shot and said, “You’d think that stupid monkey trainer was the star of the show instead of that sweet little monkey!”
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2133452-The-Star