*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2133846-Accident
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2133846
Three Minute Read
Accident

Driving around a corner Jerry suddenly came upon a car mangled into a tree. It must have just happened as the front of the car was still smoking! This was the middle of nowhere! A long country road.

Heart pounding, he slammed on his brakes. Jumping out of his car he grabbed his cell dialing 911 as he raced to the other car to see if anyone was hurt. He could see a lady slumped behind the wheel, but the driver’s door was blocked by the tree. He didn’t see any other occupants as he quickly ran around the car. The passenger door was hanging open, so he tried speaking to the lady, who seemed very young, but she was unconscious. Just then, however, a fire flared up from the engine compartment.

Jerry didn’t know much about cars, but he’d seen too many TV shows and movies not to fear the car blowing up at any second. So, he climbed in, undid the girl’s seat belt quickly and carefully slid her across the seat and out of the car. She seemed very small, and he easily carried her away from the mangled car. He had just put her down in a small shielded spot behind another tree when the car did blow up! He quickly leaned over the girl shielding her body, and his own, from the metal and glass flying all around them.

Finally, he could hear sirens in the distance. Starting to get up to make his way around the flaming car, to guide the medics to the unconscious girl, a small hand suddenly grabbed his wrist. He looked down, relieved that her eyes were open. She tried to speak but Jerry had to lean in close to hear.

In tears, she whispered, “Did I lose my phone?”
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2133846-Accident