*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2133984-Rocky-Creek-Sheriff
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Crime/Gangster · #2133984
Flash Fiction
It was just after 5:30 in the evening when Sheriff Mike Sanders got the call from old “Pop” Obermier saying “I seen him! You’d better get out here right now, Sheriff.”

There was never any serious crime in Rocky Creek, so when there was a triple homicide two weeks before, the town was paralyzed with fear. Even Mike had begun to lock his door at night, something not even thought of before.

Mike left the station, wishing he could go home to his wife and daughter. Instead he was on his way to Pop’s farm to find out what he saw – or thought he saw.

When Mike arrived, Pop was waiting on the front porch with his rifle cradled in his arms. “About time you got here”, Pop muttered as Mike walked up. “OK, what did you see this time, Pop”, Mike asked.

“I seen him, the guy that killed those poor folks, that’s what!”, Pop exclaimed, waving the rifle in the air. “He’s in that old chicken coop out back that I don’t use no more.”

“OK, just go back in the house, Pop. I’ll take a look. And stop swinging that gun around. I’m sure you’re in no danger around here.”

Pop grumbled, but went inside as Mike headed toward the back yard. He felt the bullet graze his shoulder before he heard the shot, then heard a second shot before he could react. There was Pop on the back porch, rifle raised. Thirty yards out was a man on the ground clutching his leg, his dropped gun twenty feet away. Mike quickly cuffed the man and called for an ambulance.

Turning to the old man, Mike said, “Pop, I’ll never doubt you again! Thanks.”

“About durn time somebody started listening to me”, Pop replied.

word count:297
© Copyright 2017 BlueJay (bluejay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2133984-Rocky-Creek-Sheriff