*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2134743-Predator-prey
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2134743
A hunter stalks. A victim awaits.
Entry for 300 word or less story.

Predator, prey. (272 words)

I arrived back at my camp late afternoon, sun dropping rapidly in the sky. I’d spent a long, tense couple of hours carefully searching for my prey and was ready for some hot food and drink. My pack thudded to the ground as I casually cast it off, hat and rifle quickly followed. Singing out loud, I messily sorted through my cooking pans for the right one, tin clanging against tin. Quickly filling one with water, I then stood back, hands on hips, raising my voice for the rousing conclusion of the song. Then, on the highest note, it happened.

The bushes shook as a storm of claws and teeth erupted from them. An orange and black blur flashed at me like lightning, seemingly there, and not, at the same time. Rooted to the spot, my heart boomed and my body was frozen like a tree. Large golden eyes became larger still, as the majestic beast thundered towards me. But I didn’t scream or run. This was all part of my plan.

The Tiger, eyes only on it’s prey, raced right into the trap. Just as it was about to pounce at me, the net, hidden on the ground, swept up. The Tiger once again became a blur as it was dragged into the air in a maelstrom of leaves, fur, twigs and growls. As the Tiger thrashed in its rope prison, I exhaled a long, relieved breath. No shooting, No blood. Just a perfect, if irate, specimen of nature. And as I approached in triumph and glared into it’s deep and yellow eyes, I heard a low, menacing growl behind me.
© Copyright 2017 SammyJankis (oldstonyface at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2134743-Predator-prey