*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2134910-Whole-New-World
Rated: E · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2134910
The world has changed forever. But is it for the benefit of humanity or for its damnation?
Whole New World

"Today, we are not just men, but gods!"
Those are the words that still send shivers down my back. If I was told what we would be doing today two decades ago, I would dismiss it as childish and absolute nonsense. But this is the truth. This is what we get for acting careless, not because we played gods like some claim it to be. They would say the same thing about Oppenheimer if he failed catastrophically, but, alas, it was us and not him.

The brain is a complex system. Perhaps the most complicated in the entire kingdom. So many connections, so many bonds that decide who we are. One binding could mean the difference between Hitler and Mozart. The question is what if we could manipulate that? What if a good person could become great? What if an "Evil" person could become neutral? What if we could get rid of the parts that cause humanity to underperform? Just, what if we could make humanity spectacular? Not blindly following, not getting conned, not getting cheated, but with a perfect cognitive ability devout of imperfections such as unnecessary emotions?

No feelings to cloud judgement. All brilliant, all perfection. Construction workers becoming scientists, garbage men becoming doctors, farmers becoming judges. But of course, not everyone can be the best, or the society would crumble. After all, we are pack animals.
No need to change everything, just enhance them. Make people mentally submissive to one leader. To one human, the great leader. The one that has the best of what makes homo sapiens the best species of planet Earth. Intellect and discipline, bonded by the ultimate purpose; achieving the highest level of civilization. Entire species dedicated to the intellectual and technological evolution of the humanity. Never depressing, never tiring, never contradicting, never dying, never ending...

No politics, no religions, no redundant emotions, demotivations. The ultimate.

People didn't need to know. It is like medicine for kids. They don't like the taste, they refuse it. So, you hide it inside their breakfast and feed it to them. They get clever, you get dominant. They don't know any better. They are ignorant and stupid. We need to take care of them. You don't expect a child to make the right call, they are inexperienced. We will decide for them, we know what is best for them. When they still refuse to take the medicine, you force it to them. We know better. Humanity was the child and we, it's parents. So, we did exactly that, we got terminally ill people and we gave them immortality, we got mentally sick and we gave them sanity, we got misguided people and we gave them education, we got the opposing children and we forced them their so needed medicine. We cured humanity of humanity. We created artists, scientists, leaders that of no likeness has ever been witnessed in all history. We took territorial, animalistic, suicidal, homicidal, genocidal, discriminant, lazy, delusional animals and we made them into gods that made gods themselves that look upon them get ashamed of themselves. But we created something even more, something not good. Not evil, but uncaring. Something went wrong. Of course it did. The emotions we blocked got altered. The entire emotional circuit got eliminated from the web of the brain.

We didn't notice it at first. They seemed ordinary. They stayed dormant until they infiltrated the offices, the barracks, the palace and the hospitals. We never figured how they coordinated so effectively and so discretely, and how they converted the masses. One leader even we believed in did to us what we did to them. We were the children after all. The emotions weren't the only circuit that was effected. The territorial and pack instincts were boosted, making them the perfect organisation. Like the ants, they obeyed the one leader. The original alteration we thought. The best we ever created. The most intelligent, the most manipulative, the most effective.

After the situation was clear and they got the power, we organised a resistance, but the resistance stopped resisting. They also declared us obsolete. Perhaps there was some part of the mind that caused vengefulness remained. We were systematically hunted, and executed in manners that I am sure even they were disgusted. Some of us managed to go underground, living their days under constant stress of threat. I don't know what happened to the head of our project, Aeron. I am sure he found his way into safety. He was a clever man after all. Although, perhaps he shouldn't have been? Now I am in a distant and hot corner of the world, in a bunker with only my mind to keep me company. That and a sick lizard that made its way inside. The food is running low and the water is muddy. No air conditioner and no shower makes me stink. My medication ran out days ago. I am pretty sure my kidneys will fail any day. I think of my children in these final days. Something I had never done I think. Their blood washing my coat, that is what I think of. Perhaps I could have saved them. But no, it wouldn't have changed anything. This is for the best. They didn't suffer. Much.

We did change the world, perhaps not as we would have liked as, but nevertheless, we did. I am not sorry for what I did. It would have ended in a nuclear apocalypse if we hadn't, that I am certain of. As long as there were opposing forces with conflicting interests that had the capacity to annihilate the world, the extinction was inevitable. Perhaps triggered by accident, as fifty potential times we came so close to it before, perhaps it would be intentional stupidity. We have changed that. Now humanity is in total harmony dedicated to progress, progress to domination and survival. That is my legacy. I am embracing the bullet with no regrets, but one; no one will care about my final words. Perhaps my children too? It doesn't matter now.


David Fare

© Copyright 2017 The Lost One (lasttimelord at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2134910-Whole-New-World