*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2135451-Visions-of-King-Amanullah
by NEELAM
Rated: E · Article · Political · #2135451
King Amanullah was a social reformer from Afghanistan


Against the backdrop of tribal feuds and religious fundamentalism , King Amanullah Khan (1 June 1892 - 25 April 1960) envisioned the modern Afghanistan. His revolutionary ideas met with resistance from conservative Afghan tribal leaders. However , those ideas are contagious , never lost its appeal on the minds of Afghans until today.

King Amanullah was heavily influenced by the modernization of Turkey under Mostapha Kamel Attatork. He witnessed firsthand how education could uplift the society . He marvelled at the scientific progress which propelled a country forward and was convinced that only a secular , liberal society can withstand the demands of the challenges of civilization.

Back in Afghanistan , the King adopted the first constitution based on the rule of law , while Sharia law remained as residue. The economic system undergone drastic reform under King Amanullah's administration. He founded the first national budget and established the first national bank. He fought to eradicate corruption , forced labor and slavery and revived the tribal council. The new currency , Aghani was introduced together with new tax structure.

The new Afghan army was founded together with modern artillery. The King through new foreign policy , increased trade between Europe and Asia. King Amanullah successfully established political buffer against the British and the Soviet by military conquest , establishing Afghanistan as sovereign country free from intervention.
The Afghan students conducting experiments at chemistry laboratory

He implemented a Western educational system , emphasizing education of the girls and women. The Afghan women began to enjoy various civil rights under the lead of King Amanullah's wife , Queen Soraya. Young women came out of seclusion and participated in every economic opportunities offered. The nomadic villagers were educated through adult literacy classes , reaching even far end of rural areas.

The Afghan civilians relish those rare moments of glory , economic stability and liberal life throughout King Amanullah administration for short term. He was a visionary and reformer , true leader every country should aspire for.
© Copyright 2017 NEELAM (ambigai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2135451-Visions-of-King-Amanullah