*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2135818-One-Step-Back-Chapters-4-6
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Drama · #2135818
Tragedy strikes a small community, forcing them to re-evaluate what is important in life.

A Neighbourly Visit

A hush had settled over the gathering, only the children's cat calls and laughter were heard in the background. Jake's anger was swallowed up in embarrassment. 'I brought this on myself, but she didn't have to humiliate me like that,' he thought bitterly.

He looked back down to the grill trying to avoid everyone's eyes. He needed to say something though... Not knowing what else to do, he sighed, put down the spatula and went over to the picnic bench. Doris put her hand on his arm sympathetically.

"Do you want us to clear off? It might be easier for you," she said gently.

Jake patted her hand and smiled. "No. It's ok. She'll calm down. She was right though. It was my fault. I forgot to get her spare wheel fixed."

Bill softly punched him in the arm. "It'll blow over Jake. Just you see. Women can act that way..."

"What the hell do you mean by that, you big lug?" Darlene cut in.

Bill looked abashed and started to tug at the bill of his hat, "Uhhh... I didn't mean nothin' by that Darlene. I was just tryin' to say that this is kinda normal..." He trailed off as Darlene continued to glare at him.

Karen glanced at them and cut in quickly. "Is it alright if I go in and talk to her Jake? I hate to see her like this."

"Sure Karen. You know you don't have to ask. "

Karen gave Jake a warm smile and went inside. Jake looked around at everyone else and smiled, trying to cut through the tension.

"I guess we're not as perfect as you thought we were," he said.

"Well, you need to keep up with these things, Jake. It's not fair on her," Drew said as he got up to light the fire.

Jake clenched his fists and stared at Drew's back as he was walking away. Norman laughed and patted him on the back. "We've all been through it, Jake. Don't worry about it," he said. "Here, how about I help you at the grill." He stood up and handed Josh to Doris.

"Well I guess it's my turn spoil you," Doris said to Josh giving him a small piece of watermelon.

Jake saw Bill pull Darlene over to a quiet corner and was pleased to see them hug after a few quiet words. He and Norman returned to the grill. Just as they were settling into an easy conversation, they both looked up, hearing the familiar deep throated growl of a Harley; its' irregular rhythm increasingly distinctive as it slowed down.

"Good ol' Rango," Norman said, smiling. His smile quickly vanished as Rango pulled up outside the gate.

In dismay, Jake watched Meagan run across the yard to the gate yelling, "Rango! Rango!" He and Norman both looked towards the trailer in apprehension, fully expecting Karen and Emily to emerge yelling. Drew stood up, but Jake quickly approached the gate, motioning he would handle it. Drew shook his head, glancing at the trailer, before he resumed the task of lighting the fire.

Jake opened the gate and he and Meagan greeted Rango and his companion seated behind him. Meagan rushed into Rango's outstretched arms and he sat her in front of him; the familiar tattoo of a screaming eagle rippling on his bicep. In the five months since he had separated from the Air Force his image had been completely transformed. He still shaved but his hair was long pulled back and hidden under a red bandana. He wore a jean jacket with the sleeves cut off, frayed and faded to match his ragged jeans. His scuffed and worn combat boots were the last reminder of his military past.

"You want a ride on uncle Rango's hog, Meagan?" he said

"Yea," she said, pulling towards the handle bars.

"How you doin', Rango?" Jake asked.

"Kickin' ass. Ain't that right, Meagan," he replied, tickling her. She squealed in delight, but Jake looked on in exasperation.

"You can't talk like that around her," he said.

"Why the hell not?"

"'Cause we don't want her talkin' that way."

"I don't get it. What's wrong with that?"

"It just ain't right, Rango."

"Alright. If you say so," he said, and then glanced back at his passenger. "Jake, meet Kate. Kate, this is my buddy Jake."

"Kate." Jake said nodding at her. She looked familiar; good looking with brown curly hair similar to Emily's. She stared back at him jawing on a piece of gum, before she smiled.

"Hi Jake," she said, slapping Rango in the back. "You didn't tell me he was so good lookin'."

"Knock it off Kate," he said. "He's married."

They looked towards the back of the trailer court as rock music started to blare. Jake grunted, "There goes Rob and Tammy again."

"They're startin' early tonight, Jake," he said, "One day they're gonna push me too far. I've been real nice with them"

Jake started to laugh at Rango's definition of nice. He had kicked their door down twice and had roundly beaten Rob that many times. He looked back at the trailer, anxiously, remembering he needed to get him to move on.

"Rango, you promised you wouldn't come by tonight," Jake said, running his hand through his hair.

Rango smiled, putting up his hands. "Easy, Jake. Don't get stressed. I ain't gonna disturb your domestic bliss. I just stopped by to give the kids somethin' from uncle Rango," he said, pulling a bag of candy from his saddle pouch and putting it in Meagan's lap.

"Thanks Rango!" she said.

"Hey Jake, You got any smokes? I'm all out,"

Jake pulled out a pack, took two out and gave him the packet. He and Rango lit up a cigarette, and then he heard the click of a zippo, realising Kate had just lit up. He glanced at her, apolgetcally.

"Sorry Kate, I shoulda offered..." He stopped when he smelled the sweet aroma of marijuana; Kate lazily looking back at him, a joint in her hand.

"Ah man! Does she have to do that here?" he said, taking Meagan off the bike, and nervously looking back at the trailer.

"Kate, what'd I tell ya," he said. "Sorry, she does her own thing Jake."

Jake suddenly caught a whiff of alcohol off his breath. "You've been drinkin' and now you're driving. You gotta stop doin' that. You're gonna get busted."

"Oh, stop preachin' Jake. You're just as bad. You got twenty bucks? I'm a little short."

Jake pulled twenty from his wallet and handed it over. They shook hands and Jake looked him in the eye. "Rango, you gotta get off the sauce."

He smiled at him. Put the bike in gear and gunned it, "Bye Meagan," he called over his shoulder. Jake shook his head in frustration but relieved that both Emily and Karen hadn't gotten involved.

Back in the yard he put Meagan down wrestling the candy out of her grip. She started to cry, "But I want it, I want it now. Rango gave it to me."

Jake sighed trying to reason with her, "Meagan, now stop this. You'll get some candy after you eat. Besides, we need to share it out."

She pouted, folded her arms and stomped her foot. "Snot fair," she cried.

"Do you want to go in timeout?"

"I don't care."

"Ok, then," he said picking her up and sitting her on the top step of the deck. "Now you stay here until you stop pouting." She glared at him, reminding him of Emily. 'The women in my life sure know how to tell me I'm in for it,' he thought, sighing.

He looked up into Karen's face when he heard her open the front door. She smiled at him and then looked down at Meagan.

"And what have you been up to, Meagan?" she said.

"Daddy took my candy!" she said, her arms folded across her chest and her face set angrily.

"Well, I guess you better stay there until your Daddy says you can go."

She walked down the steps alongside Jake, chucking. "Looks like you've been having fun," she said.

He sighed and shook his head. "Rango stopped by, gave her a big bag of candy and then left me to tell her she can't have it all and not yet."

They stopped at the bottom of the steps and she turned towards him. "He should have given you the candy, Jake,"

"Yea, he should have. He just doesn't understand though. He means well."

"That might be so, Jake, but it puts a lot of stress on you and Emily and it's not fair to Meagan."

"You're right, Karen. I'll talk to him. How is Emily?"

"She's ok. I think you both need to slow down, though. You look exhausted Jake and so is she."

Jake smiled at her. "You always seem to know best, Karen. Thanks for talkin' to her."

She squeezed his arm and joined Darlene and Doris at the picnic table while Jake re-joined Norman at the grill.

"So how's Rango?" Norman asked.

"He's fine. I think he's gonna have his own party tonight."

"He was over today with us. I really like him Jake. He sure looks up to you."

"I don't know why. We always stuck together. He used to get us in all kinds of trouble and I was always tryin' to cover up for him. I think our first sergeant knew that and would always make sure we were together."

Norm chuckled. "I remember somethin' similar," he said.

Drew joined them, looking relieved. "I'm glad Rango moved on before Karen came out," he said. "She was madder than a hornet the last time he came."

"I bet she was," Norman said smiling. "She wasn't the..."

He stopped talking as they overheard yelling and a woman screeching coming from the end of the trailer court.

"What on earth?" Drew said in exasperation, as Bill quickly walked over to them. "I gotta check this out."

"You ain't goin' alone, Drew." Bill said. "You better come too, Jake, They had visitors." He paused and looked back at the Darlene, Karen and Doris getting up to join them. "Norm, can you stay here and keep them from comin' down? This might get messy."

"Sure, but don't do anythin' stupid. Leave it to the cops," he said.

Bill turned around to Darlene. "We'll be right back, it's probably nothin', ok? Can you guys stay here and call the cops?"

Before there were any arguments they quickly left. As they cut through the first row of trailers, they met Roy Weaver, the tenant in the last trailer of the back row, running towards them. He leaned his bulky frame against the trailer to catch his breath when he saw them.

"I was just lookin' for ya Drew. Rob and Tammy are fightin' with two guys. I called the cops and Janet's at home with the door locked cradling my rifle. She's scared out of her gourd. We've had enough. Either they go, or we go," he said.

"Well I'm gonna fix that tonight, Roy. I promise," Drew replied as they walked into the dim glow of light pooling around Rob and Tammy's trailer. Rob and a man Jake had never seen before were rolling on the ground beating on each other, while Tammy was holding a man back with a knife, slashing wildly and screeching.

Bill and Roy immediately pulled the two men fighting on the ground apart while Jake pulled the other man back. The suddenness of their intervention brought a lull. Tammy stopped yelling and warily put her arm down; the knife at her side.

Jake firmly held onto the man's arm and pushed him further back from Tammy, deliberately putting himself between them. Drew stepped in front of him and looked around at everyone.

"Rob, Tammy. That's enough. I want you guys to pack up your stuff and get out of here. You can..."

He never finished. Drew had his back to Tammy, but Jake saw her lunge at him with the knife. He grabbed Drew by the arm and violently pulled him forwards making him stumble and fall out of Tammy's reach. Jake squared up to her, hearing a couple of cries and grunts as a fight broke out behind him. He concentrated on blocking everything out, focussed completely on Tammy's movements with the knife; firmly held in her right hand.

She lunged at him once, then again, each time he side stepped away from the thrust drawing her closer to the side of the trailer on his left. She slashed wildly. Putting his arms up, he stepped back, the knife just missing his stomach. As she followed through the movement, Jake grabbed her knife wrist and slammed it heavily into the side of the home. The knife fell away, but she immediately whirled around and raked his cheek with the finger nails of her other hand.

He stepped back in pain, still holding her other hand, when suddenly she was spun around and with a scream her head snapped back. He let go of her as she dropped to the ground moaning and clutching her nose, blood seeping between her fingers. The sounds of the scuffle behind him had ceased. In shock Jake looked from her into Rango's smiling face.

"What the hell you do that for, Rango? I can't believe you just head butted her."

"Well there's no need to thank me, Jake," he said, still holding his smile, and gently swinging a baseball bat. "That was fun. Just like old times, huh Jake? I'm always havin' to bail you out of fights." He wiped a dribble of blood from his lip. "Damn, I'm getting slow. Someone must have smacked me."

Jake could not help but grin. "Thanks, Rango," he said. He started to shake then and leaned against the trailer to steady himself.

"You ok, Jake. She didn't nick ya, did she?" he said, eyeing Tammy up with the baseball bat.

Jake raised his hand, showing off the shake in it. Rango nodded in understanding.

"You alright, Jake," Bill said walking over to them.

"Yeah," he said, bending down to retrieve the knife. "I guess I better keep this out of the wrong hands."

"Thanks, Rango," Bill said, as they looked at their assailants lying on the ground. "They won't be in much shape for causin' trouble now."

Drew was dusting himself off as he walked over with Roy. "Well Roy, I guess we showed them," he said. "They can consider themselves evicted."

Roy laughed. "The cops should be here soon," he said. "We did all the hard work for them."

"I think Rango did most of that," Drew said. "I was down expecting the beating of my life and next thing that guy was lyin' next to me, out cold, and Rango stepping across him. I owe ya, Rango."

"Well, I was just wantin' to have a romantic evenin', is all," Rango said. "It was hard to concentrate with all the racket." He walked over to their stereo and turned off the music. "Come along Kate. Let's go back inside."

Jake had failed to notice Kate contentedly sitting back on the hood of the Camaro, smoking a cigarette. She smiled as she slid off it. "You sure know how to show a girl a good time," she said as he put his arm around her and walked her into the trailer next door, still gently swinging the baseball bat.

"Roy?" came Janet Weavers voice from out of the dark towards the end of the row of trailers.

"Janet, we're ok." He called. Jake could just make her out, coming into the light; a slight woman apprehensively pointing a rifle at them. Jake froze and heard Roy call out to her.

"For God's sake Janet, point that rifle to the ground." Jake was relieved she could follow instructions.

"That's good Janet," Roy said, as he started to walk over to her. "I hope you have the safety on."

"I'm not sure, Roy. Where is it?" she said, lifting the rifle to look.

"No Janet..."

The gun went off and the windshield of the Camaro exploded in a shower of glass. They all hit the ground along with Janet Weaver who fell backways, the rifle falling to her side. Roy ran to her, helped her up and retrieved the rifle.

"C'mon home honey. We're goin' to the range tomorrow for some shootin' lessons," Roy said. "I'll call an ambulance when we get home," he shouted over his shoulder.

Rango put his head around the corner of the trailer. "Now what's wrong?"

"Just friendly fire. No big deal." Jake shouted back as he stood up looking at the Camaro. He whistled. "How are we gonna explain this to the cops?"

Bill took his cap off, ran his fingers through his hair and said "Sheeit, I guess we're gonna have to think quick, cause they're comin."

"I better run back to the girls and let them know we're ok. They'll be worried sick after hearing the gun shot," Drew said as he left.

Blue and red flashing lights announced the arrival of the police. Roy joined them as they each gave statements and Jake handed the knife over. Large amounts of drugs were found in the trailer and their car. Rob and Tammy were going away for a long time.



An Evening among Friends

Emily sat on the edge of the bed, her heart pounding, desperately trying not to succumb to a rising tide of panic as she frantically tried to catch her breath. Her Father's torrent of rage echoed from the past, as she helplessly watched her Mother cower; the words no longer holding any meaning, only the harsh yells and her Mother's tears. Slowly, with longer, controlled breaths, the panic receded. She breathed in deeply, realizing it had been years since the last panic attack. She picked up a towel and, with shaking hands, wiped the sweat and tears from her face. As a teenager she grew to resent her Mother's weakness, vowing that no man would ever treat her that way. Now, as she regained control of herself, her resolve gradually hardened. Jake was not going down that path with her.

She dropped her face into her hands then and groaned, remembering her friends' stunned silence.

'How can I face everyone, now?' she silently cried.

She heard a knock at the door. "Go away Jake, I don't want to talk to you," she said.

"It's Karen, honey. Can we talk?"

She rubbed the tears from her face, stood unsteadily and opened the door for her. They sat down together, Karen putting her arm around her.

"Are you ok, Emily? You're shaking all over."

"Yeah... I'm fine."

"Here. Let me get you drink," Karen said as she left the bedroom.

Emily sat staring at the floor trying to compose herself and gratefully accepted a cold glass of tea from Karen. She took a long thirst quenching drink as Karen sat down beside her again. She could feel her strength slowly being restored.

"Thanks, Karen. I needed that," she said. "I'm sorry... I was so frustrated I just lost my cool. Now I've gone and ruined it for everyone. I feel like such an idiot."

"Oh don't worry about that, Emily. We all do it. Just ask Drew," she said, chuckling.

Emily smiled at her friend. "I'm sure everyone does. Just not in front of everybody, like I did."

Karren smiled at her. "Well, what set ya off?"

"Duno...I guess things have been building up lately. I've been tryin' to be understandin', but he's fallin' behind on so many things around the house. I got a flat tyre last week and he promised to get it fixed. I got another one tonight, but when I went to change it, I found out Jake never got the spare fixed. A guy from work sorted it out for me. That's why I was so late."

"Well, I would've chewed him out too, Emily."

"Well, I planned to; only later...When I walked passed him, he growled at me, askin' me where I'd been, like I was off playin' around or somethin'. He had no right to be mad at me Karen. I just lost it. He's not gonna treat me like that!"

"I guess Jake walked right into that but I also know he feels pretty bad about it."

Emily sighed. "It's just so frustrating. There's so many things he just not doin' anymore. The place is falling down around our ears and he's in another world. You passed all the unopened cans of paint in the hall. Remember me and you got it a month ago to fix up the kids bedroom. It's just sat there!"

Karen soothed her gently. "I know it's frustrating for you. Try to be patient with him. He has a lot of irons in the fire. He's not lazy, just busy and worn out."

"It's easy for you to say. Drew keeps your place in tip top shape." Emily fired back.

Karen sighed and gently smiled at her. "You're right Emily. Drew does keep on top of the house. I couldn't ask for more. But, I think Jake is better at some things than Drew. Jake is a real family man. He loves those kids and they love him back. There is no perfect man, Emily. If you look around, you will always see something in someone else that's better than your husband. Look at the things Jake is good at and help him with what he's not. That's my advice."

Both Emily and Karen looked towards the window when they heard the distinctive and irregular rumble of a Harley pulling up outside. Emily shook her head in frustration, hearing Meagan yelling, "Rango! Rango!"

They shared a look of exasperation. "Jake said he wouldn't be here tonight," Karen said.

"Jake said Rango promised him. Maybe he's only stopping by to get somethin'. I hope it's to say goodbye."

"That's gotta be frustratin' for ya. I know you guys go way back but he's a bad influence on the kids."

"Yea. We fight a lot about it. Jake knows he's trouble but he's findin' it hard to turn his back on him...Some of the things Meagan is pickin up off him just ain't right."

Karen threw her eyes up. "I know and it's just not fair on her. She innocently says it and then gets in trouble."

"I guess you can say that Jake is loyal to a fault," Emily said kicking the towel at her feet.

"Loyalty is a good trait Emily. He just needs to figure out the limits. He's a good man."

"Maybe so, but what would you do if Drew stopped goin' to church?"

Karen frowned and shook her head. "I'll be honest, Emily. That would be hard for me to take. But when you think about it... you just can't make him go. I guess you just have pray for him and hope that one day he'll change his mind."

"You've never met my family, Karen, but we were a mess, especially when I was younger. My Dad was pretty abusive to all of us, even my Mom. I could never understand why she took it. I don't want to be treated that way, Karen."

"Well Jake ain't that kind of man, Emily."

"No...He's not. Just the way he spoke to me tonight reminded me of how Dad talked to Mom. I guess I'm afraid we can fall into that pattern. Maybe my folks started off like me and Jake and then changed when life got hard."

"Emily, I wouldn't worry about that. I'm sure you're both very different people to your parents. From what you say about your Dad, Jake ain't nothin' like him," Karen said, and then smiled, "and I don't think you're the kinda person that will lay down and take it."

"Well things only started to change in my home when my folks became Christians and we started to go to church. That's the answer to a good home, Karen, and now Jake wants nothin' to do with it."

"Emily, Jake isn't your Dad. He hasn't gone to church in a couple of years and you've both been happy."

"I know, Karen. I just don't know what's happened to us lately. He doesn't seem to care about me anymore. We haven't been out on a date since before Josh was born. I only see him when he's tired or too busy studying. I try to talk to him but he always puts me off." She put her head down, trying to hide her desperation. "He just doesn't love me and I don't know if I love him anymore."

Karen rubbed her back and took a moment to reply. "You guys have really been busy lately. Sometimes you can go through a dry spell but that doesn't mean the love is gone out of the marriage. You're both too weighed down by everything that's going on around you. You need to come up for a breath of fresh air. Why don't you and Jake go away for a couple of days? I'll take the kids."

"Jake would never agree to that. He's so focussed on his work and studies. He's as stubborn as a mule, won't even take a couple of hours to go out for a cup of coffee with me!"

Karen paused for a moment and then took her hand as she continued to speak. "I was always secretly envious of how close you two always seemed to be. At our get-togethers you would always wind up the evening, sitting together arm in arm. You guys seemed so happy together. You two have something special; you just have to fight for it."

Emily's eyes misted up as she recalled those evenings contently relaxed in his embrace; the evenings of quiet engaging conversations, completely assured in each other's company.

"You think so?" Emily said.

"Of course I do, honey. I know right now he's outside hurting and trying to put a brave face on things. I could see how hurt and sorry he was. He told us it was all his fault."

Karen patted her gently on the back. "Take your time. Come out when you're ready. We would all love to see you. We're family. Put that poor man out of his misery and make up with him." Karen hugged her and got up to go.

"Thanks Karen. It felt good to talk to you." said Emily.

Karen smiled back at her. "See you in a bit."

As Karen stood up they heard the Harley rev up and pull away. "Thank God for small blessings, Emily," Karen said, brightly. "I won't have to yell at Rango now."

After she showered and changed her clothes, Emily nervously stood at the door summoning the courage to go out and face everyone. She sighed, opened the door and stepped out on to the deck. Jake, Drew and Bill were missing. Karen and Norm were at the end of the yard while Doris and Darlene were talking, sitting across from each other at the picnic bench. They broke off their conversation when they noticed her and smiled, Doris scooting over and patting the bench next to her. Emily, gratefully sat down next to her and was immediately wrapped in a hug.

"You feelin' better now, Hun?" Doris asked.

"Oh, don't worry about me. I just lost my cool. I'm sorry."

"You ain't gotta be sorry, Emily," Darlene said. "You oughta give him hell when he needs it."

Emily and Doris laughed, but Doris quickly interjected. "Well, I'm sure Emily probably wishes she had done it differently."

Emily nodded and then Darlene chimed in. "Like slappin' him upside the head." She started to hoot with laughter. Emily couldn't help but laugh, although she noticed Doris didn't see the humour in it.

"I'm only teasin', Doris." Darlene said between laughs. "That might be how ya feel but we gotta be nice."

Darlene passed her a plate of food they'd put aside for her, while Doris poured her a drink. Karen along with Norm, holding Josh, joined them as she ate.

"Where's everyone else at?" Emily asked.

"They're off dealin' with our favourite neighbours," Karen said.

"Really? What happened?"

"We heard all kinds of screamin' and hollerin'. Sounded like someone was getting' killed." Darlene said.

"Well, that's the last straw. We're kickin' them out," Karen said.

"You see what we're dealin with all the time, Karen?" Darlene said. "I kept tellin' ya they was trouble."

"I know, Darlene, and I'm sorry. We should have done somethin' about it sooner."

Emily heard a siren and turned to see the red and blue flashing lights of a police car. The children broke off from their game and clustered at the fence to watch. Turning into the trailer court, it cut its siren, slowly driving past Karen and Drew's home heading for the back row.

A gunshot echoed from the back of the trailer court and Emily suddenly lost her appetite. "Oh my Lord. What is goin' on?" she said standing up to follow both Darlene and Karen as they walked to the gate.

She felt an unfaltering grip on her arm and heard Norm firmly say, "You guys stay here, we don't know what's goin' on. I'll go check it out."

Norman had just closed the gate when Drew arrived, breathing heavily. Emily felt a sense of panic rise believing either Jake or Bill had been injured.

"Are Bill and Jake ok?" Darlene shouted, before she could get the words out of her mouth.

"Yea, they're fine." he said. Those words washing over her with reassurance.

"What's goin'on, Drew?" Karen asked.

"We got it under control now, but Rob and Tammy got into a fight with a couple of their friends and Tammy went wild with a knife. At first we got them to calm down but then Tammy came at me with a knife and all hell broke loose." Emily saw Karen's face go white as she put a trembling hand on his arm.

"Are you ok, Drew?" she asked.

He nodded, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze and continued.

"All I know is Jake pushed me aside and somehow or other he got the knife out of her hand, while me, Bill and Roy were fightin' with Rob and his buddies. That's when Rango came out of nowhere with a baseball bat. He had them all on the ground in minutes, even Tammy. Then he just stood there grinning like it was all a game." He shook his head. "That guy's nuts! We had to call the ambulance."

"What about the gun shot?" Darlene asked.

He grinned then. "That was Janet using the Camaro as target practice. You know Janet, she don't know one end of a rifle from another. She came down with it after it was all over and accidently pulled the trigger."

Norman shook his head. "Some people should never touch a gun. She could have killed someone."

Emily pulled Meagan to her and sat down heavily and breathed a sigh of relief. She saw the same emotion reflected in her friends' faces. Doris gave her a reassuring hug and sat quietly by her side. The children enjoyed a little more drama when another police car and an ambulance arrived. Once the excitement was over the children gradually went back to their game and Meagan slipped off Emily's lap to join them.

She looked up when she heard Jake and Bill's voices. They came through the gate and joined them at the table, both sporting their injuries. Bill's left eye was red and starting to swell while Jake had three long scratch marks on his cheek. Emily and Darlene went into the kitchen and returned with ice, towels and disinfectant.

Emily pulled Jake aside and gently washed the scratches on his face. "I'm glad you're alright. Drew said that woman had a knife. You could have been stabbed."

"It was ok, Emily. I figured I could handle her better than Drew. At least we won't have to deal with them again. The cops busted them. They found all kind of drugs in the trailer."

"Is Rango ok?" she asked.

"Yea. He got a busted lip. That's all," he smiled. "You do care, don't ya?"

"Of course I do, but he's still trouble. I wish he'd get himself sorted out."

"So do I Emily," he sighed. "So do I."

She looked into his eyes; his words from earlier still stung, but she could see tenderness there. He flinched as she bathed the scratches in disinfectant.

"Hold still you big baby," she said smiling. "I'm sorry for yelling at you earlier," she whispered.

"No. I deserved it and I'm sorry." He hesitated, nervously looking around. "I just wish you hadn't made a fool of me though."

"I know Jake, I'm sorry. I just got so angry."

"Ok... I don't know what's wrong with me lately. I just can't keep up with everything." He sighed, "Look. I'll try to do better."

"I know you will Jake."

"Why didn't you phone home? I called the diner and they said you were still there, I didn't know you were havin' car trouble."

"I was goin' to, but a guy I work with offered to sort it out. I figured you were too busy with the barbeque."

"Well that was real nice of him, but you still shoulda phoned me."

"Yeah. I should have, Jake. Friends?"

He smiled at her and wrapped his arms around her and she returned his embrace. She walked away still feeling hurt but relieved they had at least reconciled. She still felt a wedge between them; in spite of his apology, it still felt as though he resented her.

"It's a start, though," she sighed. She saw Karen at the end of the yard sternly rebuking Caleb and Pete. She walked up to her and Karen's face lit into a smile.

"You guys make up?" she asked.

"Yea. Thanks for bein' there for me, Karen," she said as she gave her a hug.

"You know the proverb; "Don't let sun go down on your anger."



To Fish or not to Fish

Nightfall had set in, bringing with it the sound of crickets, frogs and the occasional hoot of a barn owl; music played softly from the stereo. The combined smells of the barbecue, wood smoke and charred marshmallow hung in the muggy air as they relaxed around the fire, the children roasting hot dogs and marshmallows.

Emily was sitting between Darlene and Karen. Grace was in Darlene's lap while Emily held Meagan on hers; both girls were holding sticks over the fire roasting marshmallows. Bill was sitting across the fire from her, holding an ice pack to his eye. She looked across at him when he spoke up.

"Hey Norm. I was looking at that big old sycamore tree next to your house. It's dying and you oughta to cut it down before it falls down."

"It seems a shame to cut it down. We really enjoy the shade it gives," he replied.

"There're no leaves on half the branches. It's better to cut it down now, before it falls on your house. I'm sure we could all tackle it together."

"What do you think, Doris?" Norman asked.

"Do you really think it could fall, Bill?" she asked.

"Eventually," he said, "but it wouldn't take much to knock it. I just don't think it's safe for you guys."

"I guess we should then Norm," she said. "We'll sure miss it, though."

"Ok, Bill," Norman said. "When will we do this?"

"I'm free next Saturday. Jake, Drew?"

They both nodded.

"Next Saturday it is, then," Bill said.

"Well, let's organise some food and make a day of it then." Doris said.

"That sounds great," Emily said, echoing everyone's sentiment.

"How's your eye, Bill," Emily asked.

"It's alright. I just don't want it to swell up," he said, spitting tobacco juice into the fire. "Rob gave me a cheap shot!"

"It sounds like Rango showed up at the right time, didn't he?" Norm said.

Bill sighed, "I guess he did. I'm glad he was on our side."

"He ain't big but he's fast and mean. I wouldn't want to fight him." Drew said

"Well, you won't have to worry about that. He'll always have your back," Jake said.

Bill grunted. "If you say so, Jake. I think when he's drunk he could turn on anyone."

"Nope. He wouldn't. We've been in some tight spots together and we've had our disagreements but he's always had my back. He won't turn on his own."

"He's hard to figure, Jake," Drew said. "When he's sober, you can't meet a nicer or more helpful guy. He'd nearly give you the shirt off his back. He's helped me around the place during the day and then at night loaded up with whisky he's kickin' someone's door down."

"Volatile," Karen said. "That sums him up."

"Well, that young man is hurtin'," Norman said, "and we oughta give him a chance. I've had some long talks with him. He reminds me of a buddy I had a long time ago. I wish now I'd been more patient with him. He wound up killin' himself years later."

"Well, he's promised to come to church with us in the mornin'," Doris said. "Ain't that right Norm."

Norman nodded and smiled at Doris. Emily was shocked, "Well, I'd love to see that," she said chucking. "That's one place I never figured Rango would go."

"I've been pretty negative about him, but he saved my bacon tonight. I aint't got nothin' against him. I owe him," Drew said.

Emily smiled. Rango can definitely worm his way into anyone's heart. She looked over at Karen, who did not look convinced. 'Yup, even Karen,' she thought.

The conversation drifted on to hunting and fishing. All except for Jake, who did neither, were bragging about their exploits. Emily smiled to herself and looked over at Darlene.

"I bet Jake's enjoying that conversation. He hates huntin' and fishin'."

Darlene must have also been listening. She smiled as she replied, "You know Bill. He loves bein' outdoors. He thinks fishin' can solve any problem."

Then Bill spoke up. "Jake, why don't you come fishing with me in the mornin'. You won't regret it."

"Maybe I'll take you up on that. What time?" Jake replied.

"How about I pick you up at eight?"

Emily stiffened in anger. "What the hell?" she said quietly.

She was shocked. 'Why would he decide to go fishing on a Sunday? The only place he oughta be going, is to church with us...' Meagan interrupted her thoughts.

"Mommy, don't say 'hell'."

"I'm sorry honey," she said as she tried to control her temper. The last thing she needed was to make a fool of herself again.

Darlene looked at her, concern written on her face. "Are you ok, Emily?" she asked.

She forced a smile and said, "I'm fine Darlene. I think it's time we cleaned up though. It's getting late."

They let their girls eat their sticky mess of charred marshmallow and then started to clean up. Everyone else joined in. Emily avoided Jake, glaring at him any time he caught her eye. She knew she was creating a bad atmosphere but she couldn't help it, nor did she care. She really needed to have it out with Jake. Everyone worked quietly and no one lingered over their goodbyes.

Emily finished putting away the last of the dishes. She could hear Jake tucking Meagan and Josh in bed, whispering quietly. After a moment of silence he crept up the hallway to the living room, took out a cigarette, lit it and faced her.

"Well, let's hear it. What you angry about now?" he said.

Jake's condescending attitude made her boil over. "It should be obvious to you. You're such a block head. When were you going to let me know about your fishing trip?"

He looked startled, then slowly understanding appeared to dawn on his face. "But that's nothin'. I'll be going to the lake while you're at church..."

"Nothin'!" Emily cut in, putting her hands on her hips. "You're gonna go off to the lake instead of comin' to church like I'm always beggin' you to."

"C'mon Emily. I just thought I would try it out and see if it's as relaxin' as Bill says it is."

"Really? You're so selfish!" she shouted, waving a finger at him. "You want to relax and dump everything on me. I'll have to get the kids ready all by myself."

Jake stiffened up, staring at her stonily. "Well I ain't makin' you go to church."

"Well I'm bein' responsible, something you don't seem to know much about."

"You can say what you want, but I'll decide what to do on Sunday Mornin's. Not you!" he shouted back.

Emily shook her head and blazed back. "Can't you see how insultin' it is to me when you decide on all kinds of things with your friends, without even saying it to me? You're not married to Bill, you're married to me. I'm sharin' this messed up life with you." She took a breath and said evenly. "I swear. You can be such a stupid man!"

His jaw was set and his eyes were blazing with anger. He stubbed out his cigarette in the ash tray and faced her.

"I can't believe you called me 'stupid'," he hissed. "I guess I ought to be thankful you didn't decide to say all this in front of everyone."

"If that is all you got from what I said then I guess you really are stupid," she shouted back. "And maybe I should have said this when everyone was here. It seems that's the only time you listen!"

Jake took a step back and ran his hands through his hair, sighing heavily. "Look, I don't want to fight, there's been enough of that tonight. I don't need to go fishing. Why don't we go to the lake tomorrow? Skip church and we can have a picnic; play with the kids on the beach, paddle around in the water. It's been so long since we did anything like that. I'm sorry honey. I really didn't want to hurt you."

Emily's anger abated at his change in tone. "No Jake," she sighed stepping forward to take his hand. "We should do that, but not tomorrow. Sunday's the Lords day and with or without you, me and the kids will go to church. Besides, I can't just not show up. You know they're relyin' on me to teach Sunday school."

Jake looked tired as he nodded. "Alright, Emily. I guess it's not as easy as that."

"Look, I don't want to go to bed on bad terms, but just know that I wish you'd come to church with us." She reached up and kissed him on the cheek. "I'm goin' to bed. Good night.

Emily lay in bed, sleep eluding her. It was muggy but the ceiling fan, pushing the air around, gave her some relief. 'What an evening!' she thought. 'It seems every time it's our turn for the barbeque there's fireworks.' She thought back to the last time they hosted it and Rango got drunk. She grimaced in embarrassment, remembering the lude tales he told; Karen angrily gathering up her kids and leaving early.

She sat up, re-arranged her pillow and lay back down. A knot of fear grew in her belly; realising how easy it would have been for Jake to have been stabbed by that crazy woman. 'Thank God and thank God for Rango,' she thought and then laughed realising what she had just thought. Rango had turned their life upside down since he showed up on their door. 'Jake needs to do somethin' about him,' she thought running her fingers through her hair.

She rolled over and her thoughts drifting to Dave's endearing smile and kind words; "It's not that often I get to be in such good company." His words had made her feel so good...

She rolled over in frustration. 'It's just not right to feel this way!' she chided herself.

Jake's anger flashed back, the noxious feeling of panic she had experienced, an afterthought. She rolled back over trying to chase the memory away. 'Karen is right. Jake is nothin' like Dad," she thought. She knew he would see reason and at least stay home to help her get the kids ready. A glimmer of hope flared, 'Maybe he would come with us,' she thought happily. The hope died, though, remembering years of disappointment.

She sighed and rolled over for the last time, Dave's infectious laugh, his hand lingering on her knee, filling her mind.

*

After Emily went to bed, Jake poured himself a small glass of bourbon and went outside to sit in front of the dying embers of the fire. He smoked a cigarette trying to clear his head of all the evening's drama.

He rubbed at his cheek and winced at the scrapes. He started to shake, remembering how close the knife had come to slicing his stomach. He had been trained in mock combat, but until now, had never used it. He had just stepped in without thinking.

"I hope I don't have to do that again!" he muttered trying to control his trembling.

The trailer court had always been peaceful. Drew and Karen were pretty careful who they rented to. Rob and Tammy had slipped through, though and they all payed for it. Then he thought of Rango, realising that everyone else thought he was also a bad apple. Jake sighed. 'Rango's just not like that. He's a little rough but he's got a good heart. If he could just stay off the booze.' He thought as he finished his drink. Then he laughed at his stupidity; wishing Rango wouldn't drink when he, himself, was trying to numb his own feelings with it.

He gripped the glass tightly, remembering that Emily also thought he was stupid. "Why of all the nerve!" he angrily muttered under his breath kicking out at the bricks of the fire pit. "She respects nothing. All the things I'm doing for us and she thinks I'm stupid. I break my back for her and all she can do is point out the things I don't do and then she humiliates me in front of everyone. Well I'm sick of it!"

He had been dithering on going to church with her; something to please her. His rising anger, though, put that idea to bed. "To hell with that. I'll go to church when she starts showin' some respect." He stood up and threw the empty glass into the fire.

"In fact, I'll just go fishin' tomorrow," he said, to the sound of shattering glass. "I deserve to have a relaxin' day."



© Copyright 2017 Myles Abroad (mylesabroad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2135818-One-Step-Back-Chapters-4-6