*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2135875-Owl-Creek-Bridge
by Gianna
Rated: E · Assignment · Military · #2135875
Can someone edit this, please??
“Peyton Farquhar was dead; his body, with a broken neck, swung gently from side to side beneath the timbers of the Owl Creek bridge.” This quote is from the story Owl Creek Bridge, which is a great story for your imagination to run wild. This story is about plantation owners in the Civil War, and about the fight between the Confederacy and the Union. A very interesting topic, the story tells the bad man's point of view and how he feels. This film is proof that you never know the fine line between reality and dreams.
The Occurrence at Owl Creek is a complex film that may be hard to understand the meaning of. The film symbolizes a deeper meaning than what you may think. This film shows that you never know the fine line between reality and fiction. The film shows a man who burned down a bridge and is found doing it by soldiers. The soldiers decide his punishment is to be hung.
The subject of this film is a man named Peyton Farquhar who is a huge plantation owner and slave owner. This story takes place during the civil war, the plantation owners didn’t fight in the war. Farquhar tried to burn down the Owl Creek bridge which is punishable by execution. Since this man burnt down the bridge he is going to be hanged by the union. Whilst being hanged the rope breaks off, and he falls into the water and swims away while being shot at. In the end, he finds his wife and is at peace but before getting
to her, he feels a sharp pain and the scene cuts to him being hanged after all.
In this story, there are many forms of symbolism. One of the biggest forms of symbolism seen in the film is the Owl Creek bridge. This shows the connection between the North and the South during the Civil War and how this is the only connection between the two. The symbolism in the driftwood is interesting because the wood could be used to show how free he felt in his last moments, how free his mind was and how at peace he was.
The allegory of this story is that there is no running away from consequences. This is shown in the film as he is imagining running away from the place and seeing his wife and being happy again. At the end, it goes back to the more realistic side of him getting hanged. This shows you can try to run away from doing bad things but it will always catch up to you. Which is why the allegory is there is no running away from consequences.
This story is a great example of a man whose last wishes were to find his wife and be at home. His imagination runs wild to the point where he doesn’t know the point of reality versus fiction. When the civil war was going on more than 300,000 slave owners did not fight in the Civil War, Farquhar was one of them.
© Copyright 2017 Gianna (gksmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2135875-Owl-Creek-Bridge