*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2136023-Child-of-Nyuvreth--Chapter-7
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2136023
With Favrion ravaged by fire, the situation looked dire.


NEYRAND


"Come now, child, there is no time to lose," Phyrion said, offering a hand. "They will be here at any moment."

"W-who?" Neyrand stuttered, taking his hand.

Phyrion pulled her up and steadied her before she could fall back down.

"Now is not the time for questions," Phyrion answered, "we must hurry, for time is of the essence!"

Without hesitation, Phyrion grabbed Neyrand's hand and they dashed down the hill. Neyrand looked behind her as the fire began to spread towards the inn. She watched in undisguised terror as the thatched roof of Hargavon's Hearth went up in flames. Neyrand knew that it wouldn't be long until the rest of the building caught fire as well. She quickly turned away before the flames engulfed the entire building; swallowing all that was left of the idyllic life that she led, as well as the memories that perished along with it.

Neyrand could feel the tears stinging her eyes as they threatened to spill over and trail down her cheeks. She understood that it was of the utmost importance that she attempt to hold a tight rein over her jumbling emotions. There was a great danger reigning over Favrion this night and she needed all of her senses to be in tune. With effort, Neyrand bit the inside of her cheek and rubbed desperately at her eyes; there would be a time for tears, but now is not the time.

Phyrion's hand kept a tight grip on Neyrand's as they continued their way down the hill; as his other hand was preoccupied with holding his staff above them. The staff still shone with a bright light, but it did not appear to glow with the same intensity as it did when it defeated the creature that killed her Nan. There wasn't a necessity for Phyrion to continue to allow the staff to glow- for there were enough stars in the night sky to light their way- but Neyrand figured it was to ward off those demonic-looking abominations.

The scent of smoke began to fill both their nostrils as the two neared the centre of Favrion. The whole town was nearly consumed by fire; thick vines of smoke swirled towards the heavens. There was great confusion and panic as some of the villagers trampled over each other trying to reach the village gate.

"By the Blessed, they're going to be here any moment now." Phyrion said, clutching his staff tighter.

"Y-you keep on saying 'they'. Who are 'they'?"

"Child, if we do not leave now, there'll be more of those monsters we encountered earlier," Phyrion said, turning to look at Neyrand. "I am not powerful enough to withstand a whole army of them myself. There's still a chance we might survive if we leave now."

"B-but what about all of these people?" Neyrand cried.

"It is not always possible to save everyone, Neyrand." Phyrion replied sadly.

Neyrand directed her gaze back to the growing throng of villagers as they all rushed out of the village gate, screaming and crying. She was about to give her assent in escaping the ensuing destruction, but froze in sudden realisation. In her throes of grief and shock, she had nearly all but forgotten about her best friend Maud. Her heart filled with worry over her best friend, Neyrand turned to Phyrion.

"I'm sorry, but I can't leave with you."

"What? What do you mean?!"

"I can't live with myself if I allowed my best friend to die alone," Neyrand answered.

"That is indeed a touching sentiment, my dear, but your best friend cannot come along with us."

"Us?! Why do you insist on saving me when you can do so for someone else?!" Neyrand hissed, eyes bathed in suspicion.

"I-I.." Phyrion started.

"No offence, sir, but I'm no fool to trust someone I've only met a few hours ago. You may have saved my life before and I thank you for that, but I can't fully trust you." Neyrand stated tersely. "But, you chose to save me, which means you have need of me. So I'm giving you an ultimatum here. Either you help me save my friend, or you don't. If you choose the latter, then I will surely perish with my friend and you will fail in your little mission. But if you choose to help, then I will follow you willingly and you'll be able to complete whatever it is you're on. So, what say you?"

Phyrion stood there in silence, his eyes blown wide in surprise. But gradually he began to smile, and he gave her a look akin to that of pride.

"I will help you."

         

10

         

© Copyright 2017 C.M.Morrison (ar_morrison at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2136023-Child-of-Nyuvreth--Chapter-7