*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2136431-Oct-02-Beginning
Rated: 13+ · Assignment · Activity · #2136431
My October 2nd Prep assignment.
Oct. 02: - Beginning



(1) Describe your protagonist's life in the beginning ("Ordinary World" or "Stasis") of the story. Brainstorm ways you could establish normality through action and dialog to avoid boring your reader.



Tarik-Ari Sadiki-Talibah was born to a family of pure-blood Magi in the heart of Egypt. At a very young age, his father Abdo-Ari started training him to follow in the ways of the Magi. He learned to hide in the shadows of the desert and to protect his way of life. Protecting the vast history of Egypt is what gives meaning to the life of a Magi. This is what he was taught all his young life. Magic was everywhere in Egypt’s history. He learned the sacred writings of his people. It gave him a love for all forms of writing. As he got closer to his naming, his people watched him. He was always seeking more and more knowledge. He was also protecting that knowledge. When the time for his name to be given came, there was no doubt in any of the old Magi’s’ minds of what the gods had chosen for him. They told him that he was The Warrior Guardian Seeking Knowledge or Tarik-Ari Sadiki-Talibah. With that he was removed from his parents care and spent the next 7 years in an Egyptian School in the City of the Dead. All of his studies came from his Saygar. This was an old custom dating back to the time of the Pharaohs. There he learned history as taught at the twelve sacred sites of learning, the ancient writings of the Celtics, Norsemen, Native American, Babylonian, Mayan, Aztec, Inca, and Israeli. These he was taught along with Egyptian Hierographics. Tarik-Ari was told that writing was power and ancient writings were from an ancient power. He also learned all the fighting styles of his people as well as all forms of casting. This was to prepare him for protecting the tombs and ways of his people. When he graduated, he was told that he would leave Egypt for no less than 7 years. He would not be allowed to come back until the gods had tested his heart. This to was part of his schooling. He was to learn firsthand what the other magical communities were like. For the Magi were also traders, so to know about the other countries was to have knowledge; to have knowledge was to have power.



While in Iran, just prior to the revolution he met a British Auror named Dempsey. The two, hit it off immediately, sharing all their secrets from their profession. During the Iran revolution of 1979, Dempsey helped Tarik-Ari to escape capture. They both were in danger and Dempsey knew he needed Tarik-ari's help. They both had endured further problems as they entered Iraq but the power of both worked to their advantage. During their escape to Saudi Arabia Tarik-Ari began to teach Dempsey secrets that have never been shared outside of his order of Magi. This knowledge was forbidden from ever leaving his order, but Dempsey needed some extra knowledge to help aid them along their way. Dempsey began to teach him secrets that he had learned worldwide, both on his own and from his parents. This began a very secretive sharing of knowledge that the two have never, and will never share with another.



The two, keep in touch no matter where they are in the world. Tarik-Ari has many other friends but none like Dempsey. Tarik-Ari could care less about politics. Unless he has a purpose, why get involved with matters that do not concern him. If and when they do, he will then make a choice. No matter what, he will back Dempsey, even if it meant a fight to the death. They have already faced the impossible and survived. He knows Dempsey would do the same for him in a heartbeat.



During his pursuit of knowledge, he found himself in Quebec, Canada. Tarik-Ari contacted his old friend Dempsey to have dinner. Over dinner Dempsey informed him of a situation that had aroused do to the foolish actions of his friend. Tarik-Ari found it odd that Dempsey would be helping such a man but shrugged it off.



After dinner, Dempsey suggested that Tarik-Ari pursue knowledge at the library of the Ministry. Dempsey even procured a pass for Tarik-Ari and introduced him to several high-ranking ministry employees. From there Dempsey left him to take care of himself.



There he met an interesting woman, an employee of the ministry, who informed him that the School of Quebec, was hiring. From the topic of their conversation, she believed that the open position could fit him perfectly. Shrugging to himself he considered it a good place to further his knowledge of the education system. He soon applied and waited for a response.




(2) Describe the inciting incident or trigger ("Call to Adventure") that prompts your protagonist(s) to embark on this story's journey (whether literal or metaphorical) and face the conflict. This incident could be large and obvious like a death or disaster, or it could be seemingly insignificant, such as an offhand comment by another character.



"special note: Several Chapters in Haunted Past"
© Copyright 2017 Showering Dutchessbarbie. (dutchessbarbie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2136431-Oct-02-Beginning