*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137288-Call-Your-Mother
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2137288
Yup, call her. Or else! (First sentence prompt.) (Winner, Cramp.)
"Call your mother, she left another message," his secretary said.

He sighed. "Again?"

The secretary smiled. "Again. Well, you didn't answer her first twenty-one messages, did you?"

"Sorry," Ashish murmured. "It bothers you. You could block her number, or something."

"I'm going to do no such thing, Ashish. She's just doing what any other mother would do, in this situation."

"Do you really believe that?"

"No, I don't. I just said it to make you feel better."

"It hasn't made me feel better."

"I'm sorry about that. Now call your mother. Oh, you don't need to, this is probably her. Hello, Ashish Enterprises. Yes, Ma'am, he's right here."

Ashish sighed and took the receiver. "Ma?"

"They're coming this evening at 7 PM. Come home early, you need to shower and wear something decent before they get here."

"Ma! I don't want ..."

"I want. Make sure you're here."

Ashish turned and walked away. His secretary's smile was a bit too knowing for his liking.

*********


Next morning.
Ashish walking in to office, avoiding his secretary's eyes.


"Good morning."

"Oh, uh, yeah, good morning."

"Say it like you mean it, Ashish!"

"Good morning." Ashish was smiling now, in spite of himself.

"Someone else is having a good morning, too. She had a good evening, yesterday, as well." His secretary was twinkling.

"Did she say anything more?" Ashish whispered.

"Nothing I don't already know."

"Don't tease."

"Okay, okay. I'll spell it out. My sister, Mini, says you're the cutest, funniest guy she has ever met. She is glad that your mother answered the matrimonial advertisement our parents had put for her in the Times of India. She hopes this goes on to be an engagement and a wedding."

"And you knew all along, that it was your sister? I mean, Mom didn't tell me ..."

"Well, both sides were anonymous for a while, then when we gave each other references, it became clear. I've known for a couple of weeks now."

"And Mini? She knew she was meeting your - for want of a better word - boss?"

"Hey, listen, we're classmates, buddies ... I allow you to call me your secretary for official purposes, but no calling yourself my boss."

"Okay. So, Mini likes me?"

"What did I just tell you?"

"I need you to perform an important duty as my secretary."

"What's that?"

"I need you to pick out an engagement ring that your sister will like. And this time, keep it a surprise from her!"





© Copyright 2017 THANKful Sonali LOVES DAD (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137288-Call-Your-Mother