*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137723-NaNo-2017-Antagonist-Backstory
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Assignment · Mystery · #2137723
An unrelated view of Michael Jorgensen's life - Tangled Roots - NaNo 2017
“Of course he’s guilty,” Michael shot back into his cell phone. “That whole family is into God only knows what. I don’t care what we found and didn’t find in his house. He’s guilty, and I’m going to get a conviction. It’s up to you guys to find the dirt to make it happen.”
“What is it’s true, honey?” Cassidy asked, putting dinner on the table. “What if he really didn’t steal that jewelry and that’s why no one can find it in his house.”
“You don’t know what you’re saying,” Michael yelled. “This is not a discussion we’re going to get into, especially in front of the kids. You don’t understand law or the world I work in. You just stick to cooking dinner and taking care of the kids and let me deal with real issues.” He stomped out of the kitchen to call the kids to dinner. He came back with Adriana in his arms, Kenneth following close behind. He realized he’d hurt Cassidy, but she truly did not understand. Convictions were important. If she wanted to keep the lifestyle she was accustomed to, he needed to do his job and he needed to do to ruthlessly.
“What would you like to do Sunday?” He asked as nicely as he could muster. Michael set Adriana in her high chair and moved to the sink, where his wife stood. He put his hands on he shoulders and she pulled away. He realized she was crying.
“Why do you have to talk to me like that?” she huffed.
“Come on, Baby,” he moved to her and put his arms around her. She struggled to get away for a second, then buried her face in his chest, crying. “Come on, now,” he said pulling her away far enough to kiss her on the forehead.
“You act like I have no idea what you’re talking about or what you do,” she sobbed. “Don’t you remember when we used to lay in bed at night and you’d bounce ideas off of me? We used to be a team.”
“We are a team, baby. We are.” Michael dried her eyes and brought her back to the dinner table. “But you need to concentrate on what’s important in the house, and that’s these two.” She ruffled Kenneth’s unkempt dishwater blonde hair. “They need you. Leave the legal battles to me, okay?” She did not look at him. He put his hand under her chin and lifted her gaze to his. “Okay?”
“Okay,” she smiled, weakly at first, but he knew she couldn’t resist his best smile. He loved her more every day. But he didn’t want her in the middle of this one. He needed a conviction, and he was going to get it - one way or the other. He kissed her and sat down between the kids to eat dinner.
© Copyright 2017 Beck Firing back up! (write2b at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137723-NaNo-2017-Antagonist-Backstory