*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137763-Who-Let-Off
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Comedy · #2137763
A wealthy obese Businesswoman and Banker finds herself held for ransom.

Tuesday May 14th 2019th
One minute fifty four year old Prudence Sternwood was leading a board meeting, the next she was breathless, stuck in a tunnel. She shuddered at the sound of rapid sprinting behind her, the light at the end of the tunnel drew nearer and nearer yet she couldn't move. A voice continuously hissed out "Prudence!". She clutched the left side of her chest with her right hand. Metal chains wound around her pin stripped black business suit began to tighten. A sudden hand on her shoulder causes her to flinch and waken her up.

Her surroundings a blur. The red neon light from her alarm clock totally unreadable. Her right hand reaches out and she presses a button on top of it. "6:30"am the automated alarm voice advised. In five minutes her alarm will go off, for her normal daily slog, get up shower, put on a suit, quick breakfast, go to work, home between 9 & 10pm, eat, some more work and bed if she's lucky by one. The joys of owning your own financial services business.

This day will be different, this morning, she will be appearing on a national television business breakfast show. She sighed in exasperation upon the thought of it. She was too busy for it and knew it would be several hours before she saw her bed again.

The alarm rang out it's usual bird call as its bright yellow light radiated up the room. She hit the off switch and slowly she moved back the flowery duvet and gingerly sat up right at the edge of her bed. She removed her CPAP mask from her face, a necessary device for her sleep apnea.

Her left hand searches along the side of the alarm clock until it touches a spectacles box. She opens it and places a pair of gold rim glasses on her hawk nose. She can see again.

"Morning love "it's her husband Donald lying in bed beside her" How did you sleep? "

Turns her head around as far as she can to see him behind her "Morning Donny, weird dream again, how about you?"

He rubs her back "aaaa, am going get up shower and make my pancakes for your big tv appearance, gave Valeria the morning off, sorry I can't join you but my meeting with the Saudi investors can't be changed.

Prudence and Donald ran their own successful financial services business. Prudence was chief executive officer and major shareholder. She was, responsible for wealth management, investments and savings. Donald or Donny as she called him brokerage and property management.

Donny gets out of bed and kisses her on her left cheek "am going to shower". He exits the bedroom, closing the door behind him.


The bedroom door re-opens, there eighteen year old daughter Arabelle enters dressed in a dark tracksuit, in preparation for her morning run.

"Morning Mum", she states as she opens up her mothers walk in wardrobe which is ninety percent business attire.

"Morning darling, are you looking for something".

"I'm dressing you for your big tv show this morning"

Prudence points at a black suit on a valet stand "You should know me by now" she yawns "I have one ready"
Arabelle dismisses her choice "You seriously can not wear that!! How many dull suits do you have? Prudence adjusts her glasses on her nose"Arabelle, when your CEO of the business, you'll find your wardrobe no different to mine"

"Your wearing this". Arabelle pulls out a 2 two piece white trouser suit and carefully rests it on the bed "Now go shower and wash your hair, I'm giving you a proper make over".

Prudence groans as she raises her short five foot three frame and three hundred pound body from the bed "Don't worry the tv station will do my make up".

"Don't be ridiculous Mum, they cake it on. Now hurry up, I want to get my run in"

Once washed, Prudence exit the shower area, her fleshy body covered with a silver silk bath robe.
Donny is clasping a cufflink into the sleeve of his crisp white shirt. "I will get started at the pancakes, will ask Valera to join us, we're very lucky to have her as a housekeeper".

"Donny" snaps Prudence pointing at his over flowing tie rack "Put on a tie"
He extends his hands outwards "I will after pancakes"
Prudence grabs the pink tie with black polkadots from the valet stand, selected for the day ahead "here, take it" she orders. "put it on, you know well my mother always insisted we left the bedroom fully dressed and ready. If my father came down to the kitchen on a work morning with no tie, she would send him back up to put one"

Donny raises his collar and closes the top shirt button "You have me wearing a tie practically everyday, I am hardly going to forget"


Prudence shuffles to a grand oak make up desk and sits herself down "My mother always said never neglect the small things in business and to her being presentable first thing was one of those"

Donny puts on his suit jacket buttons it up and admires his, six foot frame on a, wardrobe mirror.

"Come here to me" requests Prudence smiling. Donny does as he's told, she adjusts and tightens up his tie further "Now your ready for business"
Arabelle returnes armed with her philips hair dryer "I'm going to start on that hair mum, give it plenty of volume".

"We don't have much time Arabelle". Arabelle began to blow dry and brush her mothers dyed shoulder length brown hair. Prudence glares across at the woman in the adjoining wall mirror; she barely recognises herself. Her sunken brown eyes are almost invisible behind her thick circular gold frame rimmed glasses. Her deep furrowed brow and plump flush cheeks a mark of the constant stress and strain she endures. The business controlled her life.
Prudence rubbed her double chin. From the age of twenty she battled with her thyroid. Her career progressed from her early twenties in banking, long hours and little time to exercise, lead her in a constant battle with her weight. At thirty four she set up her business and at thirty six gave birth to Arabelle. With the demands of both she gave in to the battle against her weight. Her attention turned to her daughter as she revitalised her hair.
Arabelle a law student at Harvard and a fitness fanatic. Arabelle during summer recess worked in her mothers firm. She towered over Prudence at five foot seven and was athletic build. Prudence prayed that Arabelle won't inherit her troublesome thyroid.

"There, what do you think" asks Arabelle proud of her hair styling.

Prudence taut lips give a brief half smile "beautiful darling".

Arabelle opens her make up bag and swipes the glasses off her mothers face "These weigh a tonne Mum" she snears "your as blind as a bat, these lenses are as thick as jam jars" she laughs now "close your eyes"

Prudence done as instructed "I'm dependent on them to see".

"You should get contacts, am tired telling you, but you won't listen".

"I can't see as well with contacts and I don't have time to be taking them in and out, the business takes enough time without having to deal with contacts".

"It's all business with you mum isn't it? business, business, business, business!"

"It has to be Arabelle, some day I will be handing the keys over to you, so it should be all about the business for you too".

"Listen to you, your such a businesswoman aren't you".

"I've been a businesswoman as long as I can remember, as a child helping out in your grandparents restaurants. Best business grounding I ever got."

Arabelle tuts and rolls her eyes to the heavens in dispair "I've heard all of this one hundred times before".

Prudence twitches the sensation of the make up brush dabbing her face irritated her like a fly that won't go away "You hear it because I won't be the businesswoman I am today without the business acumen I learned from my parents"

"I'm sure I will be hearing this from you again and again and again"

"Yes you will, some day I will be passing the keys of the business to you. These stories are a lesson in business".

Prudence grimaces as Arabelle dug her fingers into her tight shoulders. "Gosh Dad is right, your shoulders are like bricks, how much stress are you under, did you ever hear the term delegate?"

"Of course I delegate, even then the workload is enormous, I wish your father would partner up his property management company with the business, ouch your hurting me!!.

"Stop whining you big baby, it's just a massage. You know he won't, he's enjoying been semi-retired"

Prudence squirmed with the massage sensation in her shoulders "He's sixty one and has a lot to offer the business, his time would be better spent there than on the golf course. Can I now open my eyes and have my glasses back please"

"Sure Mum" Arabelle sits her mothers glasses on Prudences face. "If those lenses get any thicker, next time I'll need a forklift to carry them" she teases

Prudence opens her eyes and admires her daughters make up artistry "beautiful darling thank you"

Arabelle begins to place emerald green earrings into her mothers ears "Now time to accessorize!"

She finishes off by placing a matching necklace with an emerald stone around Prudence's chunky neck.

"All done now mum!".

9:30AM North Vermouth Avenue, Atlantic City

Fifty three year old Gretchen McClure wasn't one for hosting parties, she rather leave it to others to host, however this morning she was more than happy to.
Her forty eight year old boy friend Ron or toy boy as she called him picked up the a bakers dozen box of donuts and a selection of pastries. In their company was her fifty one year old cousin and friend Florence, as well as her and
cousin Henry an ex Marine whom introduced her to Ron.

At 10am Gretchen switched on the tv and turned on a national business news channel "there is going to be someone we all love on tv this morning".

"Since when do you watch business programs Gretchen" teased Florence "I thought you'd be more into trash tv."

"I sure am" Gretchen replied as she lit up a cigarette "but there is always exceptional circumstances!!"

"Must be quite exceptional" mutters Florence as she cuts a jam doughnut in half.

"You'll see soon" Ron declares like he was holding top secret CIA information.

At 10:10am the thirty year old Asian American male host introduced his first guest Prudence Sternwood of PD Sternwood Financial Services.

Gretchen pursed her lips, her hatred of her successful cousin undisguisable. "ladies and gentlemen RolyPoly Prudence" she announces in a venomous tone.

"She looks like a turkey fattened for thanksgiving in that suit' jokes Henry

"Henry!!" retorts Florence, "Thats mean"


Gretchen takes one last puff of her cigarette and quenches the butt into an empty disposable coffee cup, which acted as a make shift cigarette tray. She stares in abhorrence at Prudence who is describing the growth strategy of PD Sternwood Financial services. Her right remains at breast level while her left hand motions in an upward fashion "Look at her, she's like a fucking music conductor can't open her big mouth without waving them around".
Florence wipes a stray piece of donut custard from her denim sleeveless top "Are we here just to mock Prudence or is there another reason".

Gretchen takes a bit out of a Danish followed by a mouthful of strong coffee "Yes and also to discuss kidnapping her"

"Florence freezes a flabbergasted stare on Gretchen, she glances across at Henry who looks frozen in time "Gretchen, I know when sometimes when I'm broke I say we should kidnap her but I do be only joking!".
Gretchen takes another slug of coffee "If you say something, deep inside you mean it!!"

Ron clears his throat like he was making a huge presidential election speach and points the tv remote in his left hand at Prudence on the tv "It makes perfect sense, for all we know some more relatives are plotting the same. Lets get in before them."

At this point Gretchen interrupts "she has money, lots of money and I WANT IT AND I WILL GET IT AND I KNOW YE BOTH WANT IT TO!"

Florence takes a napkin from the coffee table and wipes custard from around her lips "Gretchen!! this is crazy, seriously, think about it, you can't kidnap her!'

Henry sat in silent shock at what was being propased "We can't kidnap her, look at her".

Ron turns down the volume of the tv, "guys!! when I see her I see a big fat ball of money, that's all she is to Gretchen and me and that's all she should be you too and Henry too".

'Guys c'mon' states Henry "You should never kidnap someone like her, something like this could kill her".

Florence's hands are cusped on front of her mouth, trying to take in and comprehend what she's hearing. "Look at her and listen to her voice, she isn't a well woman"

Ron turns down the volume of the tv, "Florence!! stop caring about her, she's just a big fat ball of money. Stick a pin in that huge belly of hers and she'll burst open with fifty-dollar bills floating everywhere!"
"What!" screeches Florance "You don't seriously think that inside her is nothing but dollar bills, are you really that stupid?"

'Guys c'mon' states Henry "Think about it, she's on medication, if we don't have what she needs, then she could be dead in days, the risks are too high, dangerous and crazy".

Ron glances over towards Gretchen who was staring in disdain at Prudence whom was motioning her plump left hand in a circular movement as she spoke.

"Look Henry" he states "We can get her medication. You know my friend Dave, well he can get us it all. "Think of it this way, her family know her health, they will pay the ransom quickly as the longer it goes on the riskier it is for her. They won't want their money-making machine dying off".

Henry lets out a sarcastic laugh "How the hell can Dave get her medicine and can you really trust him? if Prudence was a car for sale, I'd declare it a lemon and leave it where it was and I think ye should forget it too"

Gretchen lights up another cigarette "HENRY!! we want her money!!" She stands up to stretch out her legs "Our concern is getting our hands on her money, if she's too week to survive it's her fault, I really don't care".

Ron grabs the half donut Florence left behind and bites into it "Dave got you those new parts for your Harley for one third of the price and you didn't ask questions then. He also got you the smart tv that's so hot, you need gloves to handle it. He has contacts, it will cost us but he can get all we'll need"

Henry tuts in disgust "So you've already discussed this with him, one thing I learned from Special Forces, be careful where and whom you give information. It has to be a need to know basis".

Ron takes a drink of his coffee and wipes his lips with a napkin "Henry!!, Dave doesn't ask questions, all he cares about is getting his money and keeping his nose clean"

Henry grabs a chocolate donut and bites into it "IF, IF and that's a big IF, we were to consider this, I think go after the daughter, both parents more likely not to risk calling the cops and that way we don't have to worry about her health".

Ron flicks his head upwards in despair "Henry, were you not listening to Gretchen. We grab her, we get more, she owns the business, they have kidnap insurance up to wait for it; three million dollars. We drain her company's wealth, and also Donnies and the brats for another three or four million and before you ask my contact confirmed this".

Florence watched Prudence on tv empathetically as she moved her palms in a rigid slicing movement. She wondered if many other relatives s also saw Prudence as an ATM to be looted. "Gretchen answer this?" she asks "Are you targeting Prudence solely because you don't like her. I think you are and because of that you're not viewing things clearly. Your personal vendetta puts her and the rest of us at risk"
"For fuck sake Florence, forget about her!!, it's her money that counts, and giving that its her, I won't lie it is an extra bonus, I'm looking forward to seeing the fear in her chubby red face".
Prudence was now extending out her hands in and out like she playing an accordion. Florence turns towards Gretchen and frowns at her "those fucking hands of hers again, I'll fucking break them" comment.
"Gretchen you talk with your hands too".

"Not as much as Jabba the hut there" she replies.

Henry stands up and takes a final gulp of his coffee "Okay, can you please tell me again, how much money are we talking about!"

An evil smile crosses Gretchens narrow face "that's more like it!! seven million dollars, more than a million each, we'll have a few to pay off for services along the way but the rewards will out way the costs". Gretchen turns towards the tv, Prudence was nodding her head as the host asked a question "Look at you dear cousin, I'm coming to get you!!"

Henry stands up and places a New York Jets back pack on his left shoulder "Right, before I go", the other contacts for whatever we need. Can they be trusted!"

Ron smiles "Oh they can, they just want their Uncle Sam dollar bills for the services they provide. Lets just say they operate off the grid, getting what we need for moneybags herself won't be a problem".

Henry stops to think momenterily "I'm in, but all options are on the table, that is the husband, daughter and her and if I think this can't be pulled off I'm out".

Ron stands up also "Look Henry, you've got the military expertise and of course, all options are on the table. Gretchen and I have been working on this a while, you guys will make a lot of money. Look on it this way, what was she doing while you were in Iraq, she was probably having champagne and caviar! "

Henry sighs "No word to this to anyone else, Florence are you in or out!"

Florence purses her lips in thought "Well with that money I could go to my daughter in Australia, stay there. I won't lie, when my bank balance is low I've often thought about what it must be like to be Prudence, no money worries".

Gretchen quenches her cigarette in the coffee cup "My thoughts exactly Florence".

Florence glances across at Prudence on the tv, whom was making a huge circular motion with her left arm "I don't really like her either, but I just don't want to hurt her, thats all"

Gretchen gives her a hug "Don't worry, there are more vultures in the family flying around them, just we are getting in first that's all, just think of her as a big fat juicy ball of money!".

Ron has enough watching her and turns off the tv "We'll get her everything she needs. It will be a rest for her! Sure it will be like she's staying at the Ritz. Soon you'll be chilling on the Australian gold coast while she'll be sweating about the price of beans in walmart".

Chapter 2

10:30PM Mercer Street Medical Centre Friday May 24th
Life was proving a challenge for night security guard Peter Beard. An ex-wife and two young children to support, as well as rent in a dingy one bed studio on St Marys Drive, Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Tonight he had the chance to earn extra cash and this offer of two thousand dollars was not to be turned down. The only cameras were at the main lobby area and medical store room. Using tissue he unlocked the reception area for Doctor Alvin Kelly. Scanned the records stored alphabetically until he identified Sternwood, Prudence. he removed the file and began photographing it with a cell phone he was provided. Once finished he placed the file back and locked the cabinet. To the only number in the phone he sent the photos.


10:50pm Sinners Bar, The Boardwalk Atlantic City.
Dicey Dave and Ron sat in a snug to the rear of the bar. They sat in silence drinking their bottled beer watching and waiting for the cell phone to light up on the table. They were tense, normally they enjoyed tribute night in the bar, but tonight's Bon Jovi tribute band was second fiddle to the cell phone.

The cell phone lit up, Dicey Dave picks it up and scrolls through the photos.
'Well' asks Ron
Dicey Dave smiles "Yep, we have what we need"

He types an SMS back to the sender "Thanks, now destroy the cell phone"

Ron takes a sip of his beer "Can you get the stuff?"

"I can, but it's going to cost you, this kinda gig, is high risk"

"How much Dave and how quickly"

Dave ponders the question in his head as he does up the maths in his head "couple of days, it's going to be about eight grand"

Ron nearly chokes as he swigs his bottle of beer "C'mon Dave, we've given you five K for this, 15k for the passports, another 6k for all the other stuff, help me out here!! how long have we been friends?"

Dave gives a half smile "I've to pay people out of that money as well as a bit for myself. If your not happy your welcome to find someone else or get the stuff yourself"

Ron bites his lower lip, they never thought of all these extra upfront costs, their savings were being quickly emptied "Okay; it's okay Dave".


10:55PM Mercer Street Medical Centre New Ark
Peter Beard entered the mens restroom. He removes the sim card from the cell phone and flushes it down a toilet. He places the cell phone on a wash hand basin and photographs it with his own cell phone. He'd sell the phone online and make some more cash from the deal.

His mind then got thinking about who was Prudence Sternwood and a feeling of guilt came over him. From his phone he done an online search and up came Prudence Sternwood CEO and founder of PD Sternwood Financial Services "Fuckin Miss Piggy, you rich bitch". The sense of guilt was quickly gone


Chapter 3

3 PM The Regan ballroom in the New York Plaza Hotel Sunday May 26th
Gretchen stood at the back of the ballroom with Florence, following the funeral of their aunt Bessie.

Florence scans around that no one is in earshot "This is crazy Gretchen, we can't do this".

Gretchen pulled her aside further from the family and friends of the late Bessie "Now is not the time for cold feet, your committed now, there is no way out!".

"Gretchen, this is stupid!! look at her she is morbidly obese"


Gretchen crunches up her face in annoyance "So fucking what, she's a big ball of cash, that's all she is!"

"Well Gretchen, if something happens this big ball of cash, it will be like going to a cash machine with no bank card. Pointless?

"Fuck sake keep your voice down, for all you know some other vultures here might be circling around her"


"oh, you mean like the kids, circling her till she gives them money. Poor woman, must know they don't give a fuck about her"

Gretchen takes a look across at a fifty four year old heavy set woman in an expensive black suit. A group of eight youths from the ages of nine to fifteen circle around her, waiting for their payday. Her thick gold rim glasses rest at the edge of her hawk nose as she searches thorough her large black handbag. She withdraws a brown leather purse. She moves her head and purse closer as she searches for an appropriate note. The young boys eyes firmly set on the purse. She raises her flush cheeked face, towards the boy, adjusts her glasses and hands him his note. Meanwhile parents look on unconcerned.

"Those fucking Kids better leave cash for us Florence !"

To the right of Prudence sat Arabelle dressed in a one piece black dress. To the left of her, her fifty seven year old sister Rosamund. Her husband Donnie stood at the bar in a black suit talking football with two other men.

Arabelle nods her head in frustration. She hated the way the kids swarmed around her mother for money and then scampered once they received their pay day.

"Mum, stop it, those fuckers are sending them over, maybe I should go over to them until I get money"

Prudence adjusts the glasses on her noses and lets out a loud exhalation through her nose "they are children Arabelle and watch your language please. It's your great aunts funeral"

"I hardly call Mark a child at fifteen, he's just three years younger than me, If I was you, I'd be giving them nothing. Twenty dollars is way too much. I can't remember Ever getting anything off them!! "

Prudence extends out her hands in annoyance. She knew Arabelle was right, but she couldn't disappoint children and if she did she would be the worst in the world "Arabelle!! my issue isn't with the children, it's with the parents, they'll quickly learn in the real world that there's no handouts"

Arabelle's attention is drawn to Gretchen and Florence whom are looking over at their table. Her scowl forces them to look away.

"Surprised those two clowns aren't queuing up too"

Prudence raises her head upward squinting hard scanning the room, as she tried to figure out who Arabelle was talking about. "Who Arabelle?".

"Gretchen and Florence!!".

Prudence grunts in contempt "I won't insult clowns by comparing them with them two. Her muscles tense up. Gretchen hated Prudence all her life. From keying her first car to creating fake identity in her name. Subconsciously she rolls her hands into a fist formation as she thinks back to the vicious hurtful rumours she spread on Donnie, from that he was sleeping with Arabelles Au Pair when she was a child, to having a child with their former housekeeper. Then there was the horrible nickname they gave her Rolypoly Prudence. She found the nickname hurtful, but she forced herself to be the bigger person and ignore it. Gretchen made her skin crawl. Cautiously she rises from her seat and massages the right side of her lower back with her right hand. "I'm going to the washroom"

15 minutes later, Prudence alights the cubicle and makes her way to the wash hand basin section. "Hello Prudence" Her body gives a sudden jolt, as shock waves travel through her like a bolt of lightening. She places her right hand on the left side of her chest a feeble effort to massage her galloping heart, as she struggles to catch her breath from short shallow gasps.

Prudence gingerly turns towards Gretchen. Underneath her black trousers suit her body shock at the wild expression on Gretchen's face "You shouldn't sneak up on people Gretchen, it's bad manners". Her voice gaspy as she struggles to regain her breath.

"Awwww, is your ticker not up to it Prudence, though I can't say I'm surprised, You've really let yourself go, gluttony is a mortal sin Prudence. I should have brought a pin, I could have stuck it into that big belly of yours and maybe you would have burst like a balloon."

Prudence's heart pounded her like it was trying to escape and her windpipe felt like she could only breath through one percent of it. Her cheeks were on fire, a warning sign all was not okay with her blood pressure. She attempts a deep breath but instead she gets a short shallow wheeze "so too is envy!!"

Gretchen laughs sarcastically "envious of you!!, a wheezy ball of lard, though my boyfriend Ron says if we stick a pin in your tummy you would burst and fifty dollar bills would fly everywhere"
Prudence takes a step back as Gretchen takes a step closer. Prudence tightens up her taunt lips in anger "Your boyfriend sounds like a keeper Gretchen"
"Oh he is, he's younger than me too, my toyboy, not a pensioner like your ancient Donnie" as she jambs her right index finger into Prudences corpulent tummy.

"Get your hands off me" gasps Prudence angerly stepping back again "Do not touch me again!!".

Gretchen smiles "awww" momentarily squeezing Prudence's left red chubby cheek. Prudence rubs it with her left hand to ease the quick pain it caused "If you think you can bully me Gretchen you've another thing coming".

"Oh I'm scared Prudence" replies Gretchen sarcastically. Prudence adjusts her glasses, she felt herself struggle to draw breath from her lungs "Oh I won't personally do anything, but my legal team will and they'll have you banned from every state in the Eastern side of the country".

Gretchen knocks her head back in wild laughter "Your such a weakling, your scared shitless, take a look in the mirror your big round head is dripping in sweat. Your weak and I'm as strong as an ox"

Prudence bits her lower lip as twinges of pain begins to shoot out from her ankles and knee joints, Her latest health concern. "The pen is mightier than the sword Gretchen. Not only will you be sorry for holding me hostage in here; you'll be even more sorry if you dare physically harm me in anyway".


Gretchen sighs with a wild grin stretched across her slender face. The torment she causes Prudence turns her on. A voice in her head was telling her to do it now, kidnap her now, she could hardly contain herself and wait. She could keep her in here all day "Don't tempt me Prudence, if I wanted to right now I could swipe those jam jars off that be fat sweaty face of yours and smash them into pieces. She laughs hysterically "you'll be as blind as a bat, completely helpless".

Prudence trembled inside. without her glasses she couldn't see beyond her nose, even with her glasses, she'd struggle to defend herself. She thought about the four hundred dollars in her purse maybe she'd just give it to her, if she left her alone. The demented facial expression of Gretchen knotted her stomach several times over.

The washroom entrance door smacks off the wall as Arabelle storms in and aggressively sizes up to Gretchen "Mum is she harassing you?"

Prudence lets off a shallow wheeze through her nose in relief "On she's doing her best, once a bully always a bully!"

Arabelle stares straight into Gretchen's eyes. Unlike her mother Arabelle worked out, she didn't fear Gretchen, she could take her on.

"If you have anything to say to my mother, you can say it to me too"

Gretchen smiles, inside she was seething "wow, you surprise me Arabelle. For a whiny spoiled Brat, you think you're tough"

"I don't give a shit what you think of me Gretchen, you get the fuck out of here and leave my mother alone".

Gretchen crunches up her face, she looks across at Prudence who was fanning her burning red face with her right hand and her left hand on her tummy as she struggled with shallow breathing. Her anger changes to delight on this sight and the realisation that kidnapping Prudence will be as easy as stealing candy from a baby she won't put up any fight.

"Fine brat, I am finished here anyways, done what I wanted to achieve". She steps away and turns to Prudence "Am sure I'll see you again soon Roly Poly" and walks out.

Arabelle rests her right palm on her mothers hot brow "Mum are you okay, I looked over and saw she was gone and thought fuck, so glad now I did, fucking bitch. From now on at these things I'm going into the WC with you"

Prudence points to where Gretchen was standing waiting on her to come out of her cubicle. "She was waiting there where I won't see her, nearly gave me a heart attack. She needn't think she can pull stunts like this on me"

Arabelle hastly steps towards the wash hand basin, takes some disposable face cloth, wets it with cold water and runs it over Prudences face "Did she do anything to you?"

"Oh she harassed me, I was this close to emptying the contents of my purse and giving them to her. she won't be getting away with it."

Arabelle shakes her head appalled with the thought "c'mon lets get out and get you a seat and some water".

Prudence takes another shallow breath "let's get back to the table". Her joints ache with every step, which each feel heavier and heavier, her slow pace dictated by the physical exertion required to move her short corpulent frame.

Donnie glances from the table across to Prudence as she enters the room tiresomely. His gut tells him something is wrong. He fills up a glass of water and rushes towards her and Arabelle with it.

"Pru, are you okay" as he gently presses the rim of the glass upon her lips and slowly pours some water into her mouth.

Arabelle scans the room for Gretchen.

"I was accosted by that psychopath Gretchen" gasps Prudence "Only for Arabelle, I would still be in there".

Donnie directs her towards the table "C'mon sit down, did she physically harm you"

Prudence adjusts her glasses on her nose "She threatened me and she's not going to get away with it".

At a measured pace Prudence sits down on her seat. Donnie refills a glass of water for her. He catches Gretchen looking over at them and matches her smirk with a deathly stare. She sticks her tongue out at him and turns away.

Donnie clinches his fists in anger "I'm going to have security remove that bitch" and walks off.


11:30AM North Vermouth Avenue, Atlantic City
Gretchen and Ron lie in bed snuggled up. there naked bodies covered by a single white sheet. "We're going to be very rich soon Gretchen, I'm going to get you the biggest diamond ring"

Gretchen runs her right hand through his dark greying hair "Are you now" and kisses him on the lips. A smile crosses her face "You should have seen Rolypoly today, her fat tomato red face struggling to breath, I really wanted to snatch her there and then"

Ron wipes away two strands of hair from the front of Gretchens left eye "patience, patience, patience, we'll soon have her and all her money, even breathing will be too expensive for her"

"I can't wait Ron, I could have taken her lard ass today easily, the humiliation, imagine being so weak your teenage daughter has to stand up for you"

"Lets hope it makes getting her cash easier too".

3AM Allendale New Jersey Sternwood Residence

Prudence lay on her left side in bed, dressed in her white silk pyjamas.The previous days interaction with Gretchen triggered a restless night for her. Despite how much she tried, her mind forced her to consider the consequences had Arabelle not come to her rescue. Would she otherwise be in a hospital bed from a heart attack or beaten up. She tried to think of the business and the day ahead but something inside liked tormenting her, like the bad dreams she's been having, perhaps they were a warning to this or perhaps life was just tormenting her. If she knew Gretchen was going she would have just gone to the funeral. Why couldn't Gretchen just leave her alone, perhaps she was tormenting her in her dreams. Her breathing seemed to labour even with the CPAP mask. She didn't have the energy to change to her right side. Part of her wanted to cry but she couldn't. It was humiliating to have her daughter protect her, yet she was too exhausted to be ashamed. Why wouldn't she just leave her alone, she considered throwing some fuck off money at her but then she'd demand more and more. Three and a half hours she'll be up for another long day in the office. She shut her eyes and then she had her flashback.

8:30am Monday 16th March 2009 Sternwood Residence Allendale 8:30am
Dressed in a two piece light grey suit and long white sleeved blouse, Prudence is helping nine year old Arabelle put on her school jacket

"I can't wait to show everyone in the office the lovely picture you drew for me yesterday. Dad will get a nice surprise when he sees his one when he's back from business tonight".

"And I drew one for Anna too".

"You're very lucky to have Anna as your nanny aren't you?"

"Yeah and she tells me lots and lots about Germany"

The doorbell rings "That must be Anna now, the silly billy forgot her key"

"I'll tell her she's a silly billy"

Prudence laughs "Do, though I can be a silly billy too, c'mon lets let Anna in".

Prudence opens the heavy oak door, her face drops in shock she grabs Arabelle " Go up to your bedroom and play with your toys until Anna comes, good girl go". An Irate Gretchen barges past Prudence.

"Arabelle, good girl go up and close your door, Anna will will be up soon, I'll put a surprise treat in your lunchbox, now let me see how fast you can run".

Prudence is tense with fear as she watches Arabelle run up the stairs and close her white bedroom door with a homemade Unicorn painting on the door.

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING WITH OUR FARM YOU FOUR EYED BITCH". Prudence shaking with fear backs back into the living room slowly her hands extended outward a feeble attempt to protect herself. "Please Gretchen, it's not what you think" she continues to back back, Gretchen matching her step by step her eyes burning with rage "please Gretchen, let me talk, you lay a finger on Arabelle or me and I promise you, you will be sorry"

Gretchen pounces on her , grabs her into a headlock forcing her to double over. Prudence grimaces as pain travels through her spin, she coughs as she struggles to breath from the strong arm trapping her neck. Her one hundred and eighty pound body, not used to such ferocious treatment. Feebly she attempts to loosen the grip with her right hand, her weakness a reminder of her poor physical condition. Defeated she adjusts her her black circular plastic rimmed glasses hang loosely off her nose "Please Gretchen, let go of me, let me explain please, you may have the physical power but I have the power of the law "

Prudence yelps from a sharp pain cutting through her head, a result of her hair been yanked with Gretchens free left hand "The fucking law isn't hear now Roly Poly, now is it"

Prudence could feel herself getting light headed, silently she cursed her lack of physical fitness and inability to defend herself "Gretchen, I'm not the bad girl here. When your dead dad, you and Jon bought out uncle Eddie on the farm, cutting out his families farm share. You both ran it to the ground, didn't pay your loans, your late father be ashamed of you both"

Prudence gasps loudly and quickly in a panic as Gretchen's arm tightens more around her neck "We could have paid the loans back but then you fucking came along"

Tears streamed from Prudence's eyes "Stop lying Gretchen". She gasps "You know as well as I do, they were about to foreclose. That farm was in the family for three generations and you and your brother through your own greed ruined it". She stops momentarily struggling to breath and fight the searing pain shooting from the crown on her head down through her back "I've great plans for the farm, I'll hire Jon as farm manager, he'll be well paid and your mother can stay in the house, I'll draft up an agreement for it. Your brother and mother will be looked after, but not a bully like you, now let me go, you're hurting me".

"You think your some hot shot Roly Poly don't you? The Orchard is mine and you're going to give it to me"

Prudence gasps hard "The orchard is six acres of land included in the mortgage deeds that you didn't pay. That is also the property of PD Sternwood Financial Services. Let me warn you, a judge won't look favourably on you extorting me under duress. My legal team will swallow you up. Now let me go"

"You think you're better than me Roly Poly, you think you can steal from me. That orchard is mine, the farm is still ours now hand it back!!'

Prudence heaved heavily "I'm not better than you Gretchen. There are two differences between us. You're a bully I'm not. Your not a businesswoman, I am and I'm a very good one at that. Your mother can stay in the farm house, Your mother and brother will be looked after. I know for a fact if it was the other way round you would throw me out on the street but I won't. I'm not some heartless businesswoman, you though, you're a heartless bully"

Prudence feels a sense of relief as the grip is loosened around her neck. Gingerly she returns upward taking deep breaths. She places her right palm on her burning forehead. She didn't notice Gretchen extend out her left palm. She only came aware as it blasted off her left cheek and then the bombardment of smacks and punches on her body commenced.

Prudence snapped out of her trance "Are you awake Pru" Her husband Donnie lights up his bedside light "Your tossing between left and right and breathing erratically. He alights the bed and walks around to the other side, pours Prudence a glass of water from a stirling silver jug on her her bedside locker. With a struggle he assists her in sitting up in the bed and removes the mask from her face and gently places the filled water glass to her lips where she takes three sips. He places the glass down and collects her glasses from beside her alarm clock and ever so gently places them on her face. he slowly runs his left hand through her tossed hair "I can't stop thinking about what she done to you today, I'm so annoyed, I should have been watching out for them!"

Prudence whines, she places his right hand into hers and brings it to her lips where she kisses the back of it "It's not your fault, the bitch will pay."

Donnie kisses her forehead "Well Chief O'Kelly has guaranteed she'll be getting a visit from her local precinct first thing in the morning. see how brave the bitch is then"

Prudence grinds her teeth in anger "Oh she will see the full force of my might when by the end of the month she'll be on front of the much-feared judge Stanley Parker"

Donny begins to massage her tense shoulders, she groans as he digs into tense points. "Pru love, am so impressed with Beverly Gunther, coming over straight away and getting the process going. Gunther, Baum and Finch are well worth the money we pay, though I don't know if they can do anything about these tense shoulders".

Prudence briefly quarter smiles, it was as much as the tension within her would allow "Beverly always delivers, if she says she can get a tri-state protection order as well as everywhere I do business; she will deliver it. She will make her free legal aid look pathetic."

Donny kisses her on her right cheek and rubs down her shoulders and breast area with his palms "I'd love to witness the crazy bitches reaction but fuck it, if Beverly advises for your safely we stay away then I'll just have to imagine it.

Prudence yawns, adjusts her glasses and squints at the time on her alarm clock, another minimum fourteen-hour day approaches in three hours "I'm done with most of that lot there today. One half call me a lazy fat pig, yet I am the one working at the very least 80 hours a week. When the other half see how well the business is performing, they call me a greedy fat pig. Then they send their kids in to swarm around me until I give them money and not a thank you from anyone.

Monday May 27th 10am, The Cranky Coffee Couple Cafe, Coles Street, New Jersey
Florance sat at a table outside the cafe. She struggled to stop herself from dosing off. She had a very bad nights sleep, she couldn't get Prudence out of her mind. Her mind flashed throughout the night at her poor physical condition, she was sure they would kill her, she didn't want to kill her, she wanted her money but she didn't want to kill her. Her Mind tossed between phoning the police, to phoning Prudence, to just searching her online and glaring at photos and videos of Prudence online.
"You're either hungover or in love". Florence jumped it was her expected company, forty year old Norah a nurse from New York. Norah was married to her cousin Bruce. Norah takes a seat opposite Florence.

"oh sorry Norah, I was miles away, what did you think of yesterday, sorry I didn't get to chat properly then". Norah waves at Florence sarcastically "Hello!!, anyone home, it was a funeral. I can hardly say it was great fun and can't wait for the next one".

Florence laughs, "sorry i am half asleep, I need a coffee"

Norah smiles "It's okay Florence,". A waiter comes over and takes their order.

"Did you see Prudence yesterday, she doesn't look well, poor woman".

Norah gives her a puzzled look "since when did you give a crap about Prudence".

Florence sits upright trying to be offended "Of course I care!"

Norah sighs "No you don't, sure you're the one that came up with her nickname RolyPoly".

Florence glances to her left in shame "I was drunk at the time"

Norah nods disapprovingly at her "C'mon, stop bullshitting me. Bruce has told me all the things ye've done to her, perhaps it's time to leave her alone".

The waiter delivers their coffee and cake. "Well she brings it on herself!".

Norah takes a sip of her latte "mmmm tastes good. No she doesn't. She tries to stay out of the way of you and your little clique but ye can't help yourselves. Did you ever apologise to her for the nickname?"

Florence bows her head in shame the conversation wasn't going as she imagined it would "No, I never felt a need".

Norah nods her head in disapproval again. Florence clears her throat, I suppose i feel a little guilty now, I mean do you think she is sick?"

Norah looks away towards a passing mail truck in thought "Well she's definitely morbidly obese and who knows what she could have with that, I reckon in a race between her and her eighty year old mother, her mother would win hands down".

Allendale New Jersey Sternwood Residence 10pm

Prudence, sits at the grey marble top kitchen table beside Donny stand behinds her giving her a shoulder massagem opposite her sits Arabelle. To the side of her an empty dinner plate with rib bone waste. The meal prepared earlier in the day by their Argentinian housekeeper Valeria. She pounds her left fist off the table top. Her voice breathless with anger "I FIND IT GROTESQUE THAT THE BITCH IS NOW CLAIMING SHE'S A MENTAL ILLNESS. WELL SHE'S IN FOR A SURPRISE IF SHE THINKS SHE'LL PULL THE WOOL OVER THE EYES OF JUDGE PARKER".

Donny concentrates on tense points on both shoulders "Love, she's not going to get away with it. You're going to be going upstairs to your office upstairs for another hour and a half to work, so try and forget it and enjoy the bit of down time you've left."

"ENJOY" She bellows wheezily, pounding the back of her right hand into the palm of her left hand "HOW CAN I ENJOY WHEN I'VE TO DEAL WITH A LYING BITCH LIKE THAT. THIS IS A CHARADE TO HER AND ITS GOING TO EAT INTO MY VALUBLE TIME. I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THE ENDLESS BULLSHITE I'VE TO DEAL WITH HER"

She places her left hand on her burning brow. "SHE WON'T BE HAPPY UNTIL SHE PUTS ME IN A GRAVE AND EVEN THEN SHE'LL DANCE ON IT". Her heart beats rapidly, Arabelle bits her lower lip in worry at the sound of her mothers loud shallow breaths. She reaches across and surrounds her mothers right hand in both of hers "Mum, you're going nowhere for a long long time, she's not worth this stress". Arabelle releases the grip on her mothers hand.

Prudence adjusts her glasses on her nose and fans her burning face with her right hand "FUCKING BITCH PUTS UP MY BLOOD PRESSURE EVERYTIME". She takes a short shallow breath and extends out her left hand high "SHE'S FUCKED WITH ME FOR THE LAST TIME" A sharp pain surge rips through her chest, she grimaces, lowering her left hand and resting it on her chest. With every wheezy shallow breath, pain cut into her chest. Silently she cursed Grechen one more time.

Arabelle watched as her mother groaned from the chest massage her father gave her. Her heart sank with worry as she monitored Prudence in her two piece power suit, breathe heavily. her tired eyes shut behind her glasses. She observed her mothers her tired eyes shut behind her glasses and her flush red face, a worrying sign of her blood pressure.
Arabelle's attention is then drawn to her mothers double chin, subconsciously she rubs her neck to reassure herself she doesn't have one. "Will this be me when I am fifty four?", she asks herself. Immediately she is struck by guilt with this thought. She loved her mother. She admired how she raised her and grew the business at the same time. For any young girl she is an inspiration. The thought of running the business someday, left her overwhelmed. "Is this how I'll end up? an overworked obese businesswoman, twice the weight that I am now?". That voice in her head kept coming back and asking this and as much as she tried to bury it, it kept springing back like a boomerang. She thought of her boyfriend Zach, would he love her in thirty six times if she looks like this, would she love herself!!.

She hated how the business owned her mother, it's demands etched all over her face and inability to unwind. It annexed her body, it reminded her daily of this. It reminded her she should be working while she struggled to walk a flight of stairs. It made her huff and puff after the slightest exertion, warning her that all her exertion should be the business. It tired her after short walks, encouraging her to stay seated and work. It threatened her with joint and back pain when she reached her allowed limit of walking. It denied her a decent nights sleep. To Arabelle the business kidnapped her mother and now she was a stockholm syndrome victim. The pleas from her father for her to sell up or take a back seat ignored because Prudence wasn't in charge of the business, the business was in charge of her. Her business suits were really expensive prison uniforms. Arabelle couldn't imagine herself in a suit seven days a week like her mother, but Arabelle had more clothing options then her mother and feared someday she won't have this option. How she'd hate to be stuck in conservative suits seven days a week.

Finally she stared at the Fitbit on her mothers left wrist, a birthday gift from herself and her father. Arabelle weaponised this by harping on to her mother on how little exercise she does. Tonight she would leave it.
"Will I run you a nice bath Pru" offers Donny as he pats down her chest and back. Prudence adjusts her glasses on her nose. She would love a soak in a bath but she had too much work today. She cranes her head upwards towards him "I'd love a bath but I'd too much to do, can you be a sweatheart and bring my laptop upstairs to the office and some water please".
Donny kisses her on the forehead "Of course my dear".

Slowly Prudence rises from her chair, straightens up her suit jacket and adjusts her glasses. She looks over towards Arabelle and recognises the anxiety in her facial expression. Prudence extends out her hands, I'm sorry for being so unbearable tonight", she then gives a brief smile "but tomorrow you can chastise me as normal on my poor step count".

Arabelle smiles "Oh yeah, we'll have the mother of all arguments tomorrow, bring it on".

Prudence exists the stairway and shuffles her way towards the stairwell, she looks up it and sighs. Stairs caused her a great deal of difficulty. She planned her day at home to ensure she avoided using them as much as possible. When working from home, she will have Valeria bring her meals or any requirements up to her office rather than face the endurance that the stairs provided. This caused many arguments with Arabelle and Donnie. She grabs the bannister for support and begins her ascent. Her joints strain with the burden of lifting her weight onto each step. Her windpipe feels completely closed as she gasps hard to draw breath with each step. Three quarters the way up, she grimaces with sharp pain radiating from her knees, an appointment she doesn't have time for will need to be made with her Doctor Kelly. She found herself gasping harder for breath. By the time she finished ascending the stairs, her energy levels are sapped. She stands still for a few moments gasping hard, her airway feels completely shut. She puffs and pants into her office at a slow shuffle. Gingerly she sits in a plush leather swivel chair. She opens desk drawer to her left and withdraws an inhaler and fills her lungs with three quick blasts from the inhaler. Silently she curses her lack of fitness and promises to work on it when things quieten down but that day never comes.

At twelve am, she shuts down her laptop. She could have gone for longer, but her tired eyes could no longer read the print on her monitor. Gingerly she rises from the chair and plods into her bedroom. She scans the room by the bay window is a grey sofa chair. To the left side of the chair is a long-handled shoehorn and on front of it a one metre free standing floor mirror. Donnie is sitting up in bed reading a Golf Digest magazine. She was too exhausted to be fiddling with a shoehorn to remove her shoes. "Donnie! Can you help me" pleads Prudence.

Donnie looks up. He would rather her take her trousers and socks and shoes off herself but bending and kneeling was difficult for her. One voice told him no, let her do it herself but he recognised the energy drained from her and took pity on her. "I will love". He pulls back the duvet on her side of the bed "Sit here"

Prudence sits down on the bed removes her glasses and rubs her eyes. Donnie kneels down on front of her and ever so gently wriggles her shoes off and removes her socks. "Pru, I know your tired but just remember I won't be with you on business trips".

Prudence sighs, rolls her eyes up to the Heavens and extends out her hands and responds in an impatient tone "I'll have Tanya, or Arabelle and if neither of them hotel staff. I am well aware of my limitations".

Donnie shakes his head in dismay. He stands up and takes her white silk pyjamas resting on a wooden chest at the end of the bed. Prudence stands up and unbuttons her suit pants. Donnie helps it drop down to her ankles. She sits back down as he removes the trousers and weaves her feet into the pyjamas bottom "Well just remember Arabelle is coming to Boston with me in a few weeks on business and you'll be on your own, so you'll need to consider asking Valeria to stay over. we're lucky to have her". She extends her hands outwards "She's already aware. She's well remunerated for these extra requests".

Once Prudence is fully dressed in her nightware, herself and Donnie share a kiss before he assists her with her CPAP mask.
Prudence mind wonders to when she was a child. Gretchen never liked her. Prudence's great grandmother and Gretchens great grandmother were sister and brother. They emigrated from Italy. Gretchens great grandfather, was an immigrant from Scotland, family rumours were he had a dangerous streak. Some believed the legend is true, well if Gretchens late father, his grandsone was anything to go by than the rumour had to be true. He was a bully, jealous of all those doing well in life. "Archie McClure" she thought to herself. She shivers on remembering opening day of per parents restaurant in the five start Godfrey hotel in New York.

1:30pm The Hudson Restaurant, third floor Godfrey Hotel 1978. Thirteen year old Prudence Bannister, is dressed in a pair of black paints, a white shirt, Gold tie, black fronted waste coat and gold fronted back, a pair of black plastic rimmed glasses sits on her nose.
Standing beside her in the restaurant office is her 16 year old sister Rosamund. Rosamund is dressed the same way. Opposite them is their father Paul. As always Paul is immaculately dressed, black suit paints, light blue dress shirt and a wine paisley tie and like Prudence a pair of frameless glasses. To the left of Paul is his wife and their mother Gloria. Gloria is dressed in a black two piece trousers business suit. She has accessorised with a silk flowery neck scarf that rests on the lapels of her suit and clasped with a gold broach. She smiles at her two girls "It's great that you both are at an age to get involved, look at you both" She beams with pride "Our little businesswomen".

Paul smiles "So proud of you both. so lets go through what you've to do".
"Simple" confidently states Prudence "when the guests come in, I give the ladies a single red rose, Rosamund will direct them to the canopes and champagne".

Paul gives her a thumbs up. "Remind us of after the meal Rosamund" asks Gloria.

"We give them their gift pack".

Paul gives her a thumbs up too. He checks his watch, another hour before the kitchen and restaurant staff start to arrive.In the distance they hear the slam of the heavy restaurant doors closing "We, weren't expecting anyone were we Paul?"

"No" in a surprised tone, we weren't." "I'll go and look, volunteers Rosamund"

Paul takes his black suit jacket off a coat stand, puts in and buttons it up. Rosamund runs in a look of terror on her face "It's the McClures, she whispers Archie, Anne and Gretchen".

Gloria places her right hand over her mouth and stares at Paul stunned "How did they get in".

Paul bits his lower lip, in a low tone he turns to Rosamund. "Good girl go through the kitchen, and discreetly go to security and send them up. Prudence you can hide here in the office and hide from Gretchen".

"I want to come with ye" she whines.

Gloria's hand is still over her mouth. She places her left arm around Prudence "Okay, good girl, stay close to Dad and I, and if you get afraid run into the office".

"Let's go and see what they want Gloria". They walk out of the office. Archie McClure a stocky well built man of five foot nine is moving in a circular motion studying his surrounds. He's dressed in blue jeans and short sleeved check shirt. Beside him his wife Anne, who is muttering something about a painting on the wall. Wearing a baseball cap backways, blue denim jeans and a denim jacket is their twelve year old daughter Grechen. Prudence glues herself against her mother. Though Gretchen was younger she was bigger and stronger than Prudence. She laughs at Prudence and how she's dressed, hoping to get an opportunity to pounce on her. Prudence nervously looks away.

Paul welcomes them with a "Hi Guys, this is a surprise"

Archie turns towards him in contempt "This is disgustingly opulent". "Pompous if you ask me" grunts Anne.
"There will always be an element of Opulance and pomp in a five star restaurant" Paul states.

Archie stands right in front of him in his personal space "Well we didn't get an invite so we had to see it for ourselves!!"

"No invites, were given out to any relative" confirms Gloria "The guestlist made up from ours and the hotels cllientelle".

Archie steps closer to Paul "Not good enough are we. He tugs upwards at the slack on Pauls tie below its double Windsor knot. Paul feels his stomach knot with tension.
"Get your greasy hands off my husbands tie!" Demands Gloria. Her demand goes unnoticed. Archie tugs three more times until it slides out of it's tie bar, outside his buttoned suit jacket and is resting in the palm of his left hand and he examines it momentarily. "He is trying to antagonise you darling, don't fall for it!" Gloria whispers into his right ear, placing her left arm around his back a mix of support and fear. He turns briefly to Prudence, the fear clearly visible on her young face.
Archie flicks the tie with it stretching across Pauls left shoulder and down the back of it "A pointless self-righteous piece of cloth".

"Well Archie!" snaps Gloria "Maybe we'll go into your workplace and through all your tools out how would you like that"

"Don't make me laugh" replies Anne in complete distain "You won't do that you'd have to get your hands dirty!" motioning with her fingers.

"Excuse me" shrills Gloria "You don't run our businesses without getting your hands dirty".

"Bullshit Gloria, between the three of ye I don't know which of you has the most girly hands".

Gloria took a look at Prudence, she wished she hid in the office "Personal presentation is a must in all our businesses . I get my hands manicured and I don't apologise for it"

Paul adjusts his glasses and takes two steps back with Gloria and Prudence. He was the same height as Archie but couldn't match him physically. He could not get into a fight.
Paul unbuttons his suit jacket, staring at Archie he hooks his left index and middle fingers using them to swing the tie around again. He places his tie over the shirt button line and gently brushes his tie downwards, deciding to leave using the tie bar for now. He rebuttons his jacket and re-adjusts the tie, it at the collar "A businessman without a tie is like a referee without a whistle". His tone measured, all of his actions now will have to be measured.

Archie steps closer "A businessman without a tie, he slides his right hand in behind Pauls tie and pulls it out again and wraps the tip end of it around his closed left fist once, moving in closer to Paul. Paul shuffles with his feet nervously contemplating his next move".

"Let go of that tie now Archie McClure" demands Gloria

He ignores her, his eyes zoning in on Paul "A businessman without his tie, maybe I'll take your tie Paul, you won't like that would you?"

Paul took a moment to reply, each tug vibrating through the back of his neck "No I won't".

"What you going to do about it then" taunts Archie

Paul adjusts his glasses "The pen is mightier than the sword Archie"

"Well your pen isn't going to do much for you now is it" he states sarcastically "Pity I didn't bring my scissors, cut your precious tie" Paul watches as Archie makes a cutting motion along it with his left hands index and middle finger.

"I'd love to cut her's as well" announces Gretchen pointing straight at Prudence, who looks away nervously.

Gloria crunches her face in abhorrence at Gretchen. who had placed herself four metres from Prudence "Don't you dare come any closer, should be ashamed of yourself speaking like that young lady".

Gretchen takes a few steps back, taken back by the rage in Gloria's voice "Don't speak to my daughter like that" growls Anne "You're asking for her to be bullied dressing her like that".

The tie tugging is irratating Paul, but he had to remain calm "Prudence, good girl go into the office. Don't mind her. Everyone here tonight will be admiring you in your uniform" Prudence stays where she is, too scared to move, scared Gretchen will chase her.

Archie gives the tie a hard tug to get Pauls attention forcing his his neck to chuck forward "What does a businessman do Paul when another man is holding him by the tie, any parables for that Paul?"

"Don't let him taunt you Paul love" cries Gloria wiping tears from her eyes which gets a wicked smile from Anne "What are you laughing at Anne" she snaps "Hardly a good impression for your daughter who already lacks discipline".

Before Anne can respond Paul cuts her off "Every Sunday evening Archie, Gloria and I sit down we plan our week. we prepare everything. I select my suits and together we select my ties. Every morning, after I wash and shave my tie goes on, every night after I wash and prepare to bed my tie goes off. Sunday to Monday, excluding vacations, Thanksgiving and Christmas three hundred and thirty days a year. I wear my ties with pride. You and no one else will never change that".

Gloria kisses him on the cheek.

Archie tugs it some more "You'll soon be a businessman without a tie, what are you going to do?"

Paul glances at Prudence again and asks her to go into the office but she's still too scared to move. Gretchen is making cutting symbols at her "You see Archie your daughter is behaving like you"

Archie gives a quick look at Prudence with a smirk and turns to Gretchen and smiles "So come on Paul, what ya going to do Mr Businessman without a tie?" he taunts

Paul feels Gloria's palm rotate around the back of him. He adjusts his glasses "I'm not going to do anything".

"Awwwwww" snears Archie "But you'll be a businessman with no tie, you'll be like what was it now", tugging the tie hard as he pretends not to remember "Oh yeah a referee with no whistle"

Paul bites his lower lip "I'd rather get bullied and lose a tie, than bullied, beaten up and lose a tie. The lesser of two evils. Anyways I won't be without a tie for long. A businessman always keeps a spare tie at hand. I have plenty here and even if you take the all, I just have to ring my tailor and a new one be here in ten minutes ".

Gloria squirms uncomfortably, there was nothing she could do to help. She wished now she was more like Anne, tough from farm labor and not a well manicured businesswoman that done no heavy lifting. "Your right darling" as she proudly kisses him on the cheek "Let him have the tie and a pathetic little victory".

"Your a sissy Paul. Always knew you were" laughs Archie

Paul spreads out his palms "Do you think I haven't been called a sissy before.If being a sissy at times by folding napkins, flower arranging but to name two gets new and repeat business, as well as exceeding customer expectations I will happily be a sissy. If sacrificing a tie to a maniac, protects my family and I, I will happily be a sissy. If putting on a suit and tie for our businesses growth and to feed my family is being a sissy, than I am happy to be a sissy"

Gloria smiles with pride "You can call Paul a sissy for all we care, but I count my blessings I married him a caring, loving husband, father and successful businessman over an alpha male chovanistic bully like you".

Archie wraps the tie around his fist one more time and moves closer, his face directly in Paul's who turns his head sideways towards the right "Sounds like your more of a Pauline than a Paul, that's what I am going to call you from now on Pauline. Pauline, the businesswoman. You won't need your tie then".

Paul rubs his tummy anxious that security soon arrive "I don't care, it doesn't change a thing for me"

Archie smiles "you need a real man's job like mine, knock the sissyness out of you"

"hah" shrills Gloria, he is twice
"I'm not physically strong enough to do your job Archie". An attempt by Paul to massage Archies ego
Archie takes a step closer "Says a lot about businessmen doesn't it?"

Paul places his left palm over his tie near the knot, an attempt to prevent Archie from choking him. He places his right hand close to his face with the palm facing outward, an attempt to protect himself should Archie swing for him. "For Your work you have your hard Helmut and safety goggles, I've got a tie. In my world a tie symbolises professionalism and prestige, so to you it may appear to be a pointless self-righteous piece of cloth to me it gets business done. You'll never see me without a suit and tie!!' Paul defiantly states




11pm Bloomfield New Jersey Henry's residence
Henry is livid with Gretchen "I CAN'T BELEIVE YOU WERE SO STUPID. YOU SHOULD HAVE LEFT HER ALONE. YOU COULD HAVE FUCKED THE WHOLE THING UP FOR US.

Gretchen laughs in his face "Oh calm down Henry, We'll have fatso and her money before anything is before a judge, we'll be well gone".

Henry rubs his right hand through his hair in frustration. "FATSO AS YOU CALL HER IS NO FOOL. YOU HEARD WHAT THE CONTACT SAID ON HER LEGAL TEAM. THEY WILL GO TO WHATEVER LENGTHS NECESSARY TO PROVE YOU DON'T HAVE MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES. I HOPE FOR YOUR SAKE WE DO HAVE HER MONEY BEFORE THIS GOES TO COURT".

Gretchen lights up a cigarette "if and if I get a call for a court appearance before our plan takes shape, I'll go to ground disappear".

Henry takes the final swig from his bottle of beer. "IF YOU GO TO GROUND YOU BETTER LEAVE HER ALONE, IN FACT LEAVE HER ALONE FROM RIGHT THIS MINUTE".

Gretchen sighs "Of course, she'll be sweating like a pig worrying about where I am. That mental torture will be enough for me".

Florence yawns "guys, I'm in at 8am tomorrow morning and it's a long shift. What's next how close are we to doing this".

Henry takes a moment to calculate "soon very soon, let's just hope Judge Parker doesn't free up his diary too quickly, if she goes to ground, we need to have our stories ready"

Ron clasps his hands together "Well Dave thinks he will help us deal with Judge Parker".

"Yeah, and cost us more money we don't yet have to give. My savings are near gone" intersects Florence.

Ron tuts and sighs "This is an investment Florence to make a gain we need to spend a little, in a few weeks time you'll be burning fifty dollar bills on the Gold coast".

Henry opens another bottle of beer from a cooler bag and takes a swig "ok, we'll find the money for Dave to deal with Judge Parker, lets hope you hear from the contact this week on the office security, we'll only have a finite amount of time to hack into systems".

"Which is costing us more money" intersects Florance again

Gretchen quenches her cigarette "stop moaning about the fucking cost of everything Florence. We'll soon be floating in Roly Poly's money, so just relax".

Wednesday 29th May 6:30am. A silver BMW pulls up two hundred metres from the gas station on Hartford road new Jersey. The sole occupant walks up to the service station with a par of shades and Red Sox baseball cap disguising the face. The individual goes to an outdoor pay phone and dials a number provided. After three rings the phone is picked up the other end.

Wednesday 29th May 6:30Am Ron waits by the pay phone outside Omar's convenience store at Zuckerburg industrial estate New Jersey. As agreed after three rings he picks up the phone. There are no pleasantries. He starts with their coded greeting "Is the delivery coming today".

The voice the other end speaks "write this down". Ron removes a pen and paper from his jacket "Please give me the delivery details".

"The conductors office panic alarm is made by raven technologies, model number E2113. This is connected to Bush Security Services Central Command. Bush operate one morning security guard, two evening and one night. Night shift changes at 11pm. The morning security guard is Chad West. He is lazy and suitable target. The Head of Bush operations services is Larry Sykes. The conductor has indicated that Mr Parker acknowledged her predicament and will on Friday provide a schedule for redress.

Friday 31st May 10:57am. Office of Prudence Sternwood Wilson Avenue Newark


Prudence is dressed in a two piece tan skirt business suit and a white coloured blouse. She is redlining a report drafted for the Federal Reserve on her pc. She is interupted by a knock on her office door which opens and Donny enters. Prudence looks up, locks her pc and slowly rises from her seat. "Beverly Gunter will be here soon" she gasps
Donny checked his watch, yes that morning has flown. Prudence inspects his attire. She closes both buttons on his black suit jacket, re-straightens his wine coloured tie and tightens it a little more until she's satisfied that it sits properly.
Tanya enters. Tanya her Executive assistance, is five foot six, dressed in a white pants and navy blazer "Beverly Gunther is here".

"Oh Wonderful", Slowly Prudence arises from her executive swivel chair. Once standing Tanya exists. Beverly knocks and power walks into Prudence's office. On her five foot eight slender fit body she wore a black power suit. She is a Brit, work black framed glasses and her hair in a bun. She extends out her hand to Prudence. Both shake hands "So great to see you again Prudence".

Prudence adjusts her glasses on her noses and gestures her to an adjoining meeting table with a waiting jug of water and beakers. Great to see you too Beverly, please take a seat.

Both take a seat, Prudence meshes her hands together "let's get down to business, has Judge Parker scheduled?"

Beverly places both her hands on front of her with her right hand higher than her left hand. She flaps her lower left hand "Let me start with the bad news. Judge Parker had a freak accident yesterday. Leaving his office yesterday a kid on an electric scooter ran into him, two fractured ribs and a fractured foot". She next flaps her higher right hand "The good news, once he can walk on crutches again which will be about 3 weeks, your case will be number one in his court diary. Let me reiterate, he has passed some of his workload onto colleagues but not yours, he wants to personally deal with this. Next she waves her right finger "This Gretchen one will not get away with playing any mental health tricks on us or Judge Parker. She will not get away with this".

"We have to be sure the accident was not a set up" warns Prudence as she sweeps her hands from left to right. Beverly checks her watch and stands up "This is being investigated, and I promise you, we will be giving him the option of coming clean or facing a young offenders judge and doing time in a youth detention centre. It will break him, it always does".

"Good" states Prudence
"I'll leave you both now but one more thing. Anyone asks you about this you tell them your terrified of this lady and fear for your safety, this is the message going out to Judge Parker and we must be consistent".

Prudence adjusts her glasses, glances at Donny "Of Course Beverly!"

Beverly shuts the door behind her on her exit. Prudence turns to Donnie and rests her left hand on her extensive chest "Do you think she's behind this?"

Donnie rubs his beard twice in thought "I don't think so, she has no idea she's appearing before Parker. Just coincidental" Prudence waves her right index finger "Well, she's harassed me for the last time, that's all that matters"



Saturday June 1st 7am. Omars Convenience Store Zuckerberg Industrial Estate New Jersey.
On the third ring Ron picks up the pay phone and asks, "Is the delivery coming today".

There is two seconds silence then the voice speaks "Mr Parker is to reschedule for a later date possibly three weeks. The conductor is terrified of bully. The conductor has confirmed partner and brat are out of state on June 18th. They are scheduled to get 11.30pm flight back" The individual hangs up.

Monday June 9th 8.30am. Office of Prudence Sternwood Wilson Avenue Newark
Tanya knocks on the office door of Prudence and peeps her head in. Prudence eyes are practically glued to her monitor reading an organisation chart. Prudence looks up and flexes out her hands in frustration "This capital adequacy chart from Actuarial is appalling, I can't read it, please request they resend it and resize it".

Tanya gently closes the door behind her "I will indeed, Prudence I was speaking there with our head of security, John. He got a call from Larry Sykes of Bush Security Services. They had a system power surge and a number of devices were affected. One item affected is your desk panic button"

Prudence adjusts her glasses and takes a drink of coffee and extends out her hands again and sighs "well John is head of security he can deal with this issue. You and I are too busy. I much rather you get the proposal pack finalised for the federal reserve on the European branch proposal".

Tanya cusps her hands together "You'll have it by noon. The issue is Bush Security Services are sending an engineer in this morning to repair it, it won't take long"

Prudence flexes her right hand out "No way, I am way too busy, this is their issue they can resolve it out of hours. Please liaise with John on my calendar and availability".

"Problem is Prudence, they say it has to be fixed instantly, it won't take long. He'll be here in about 30 minutes"

Prudence sighs in dismay "Fine"

9.05AM Wilson Avenue Newark. A five year old white chevy van parks up outside the office of PD Sternwood. The driver alights. Chad West is behind the security desk reading the sports section in the morning paper. He half looks up at the individual whom shows his ID badge. Chad shoves a visitor book on front of him "Sign then go to third floor".

9:10AM, Prudence is interrupted by another knock from Tanya who enters "Mike from Bush is here".
Prudence tuts and slowly stands up from her swivel chair "Can you place my laptop on the table over there please and these documents I'm signing off on"

"Certainly" as she begins to disconnect Prudence's laptop from the monitors on her desk. Prudence stands and supervises as she transfers the laptop to the meeting table in her office and then the documents. Prudence remains standing by her desk "Thanks Tanya, please send in Mike now".

A bearded five-foot five man in a navy cargo trousers and light blue short sleeved short with Bush stitched onto the left breast pocket of his short. In his left hand is a tool box. He extends "Mrs Sternwood apologies for this inconvenience"

"You're late" She snarls pointing at her watch "I have a business to run here and don't have time for this" She takes a deep gasp, the panic alarm is here. She points to a button strategically hidden underneath her desk. Mike gets down on his knees and opens his tool box. "Thanks Mrs Sternwood, I won't be long, If you want I'll show you what happened here".

"Ha" she laughs sarcastically, "look at me, do I look like I can bend down easily, and this is a business suit not a pair of overalls". She waddles towards to where Tanya set up her temporary work station and begins to work.

Mike lies under the table for a few moments doing nothing, he then redraws his cell phone from his pocket and types a message to a number, going to ring now.

He gets up from under the desk "Mrs Sternwood, I am almost done just to tighten up the alarm. Just want to test it if you would like to hit the button.

Prudence shuts her eyes and takes a deep shallow breath "I'm too busy for constantly getting up and down", extending out her right hand to her side "Please test and finish what your doing, I really don't have time for this"

He smiles sure and hits the panic button. Ten seconds later her desk phone rings. "Thats probably security control calling you Mrs Sternwood".

She groans as she rises from her desk, takes another deep shallow breath and plods to her desk and picks up her phone. "Hello this is security control,whom are we speaking with"
"Your speaking with Prudence Sternwood, Mike is here fixing my panic button, this is a test".
"Thank you Mrs Sternwood. Is there anything else I can help you with".
"No there isn't, thank you". She hangs up.

She waddles back to her meeting table and gets back to work. Mike returns to under the table and from his tool box picks out a tub of plastic cement. He applies to around the panic button. In a matter of seconds, the plastic cement will have hardened and the button no longer operatable.

He stands up from under the table and picks up his tookbox "All done now Mrs Sternwood, apologies again"
She adjusts her glasses on her nose, okay thank you, if you can please ensure going forward a more flexible scheduling process is made available to us."

He smiles "of course" and leaves.

Wednesday June 11th 13:30PM The Happy Dry Cleaner, Lock Street, Newark, New Jersey Wednesday
On the second ring proprietor Jenny Lee answers the phone by the cash register "Hello The Happy Dry Cleaner".

The voice the other side was a husky female voice "Hi, I'm Tanya Westerby from PD Sternwood Financial Services".

"Hi Tanya, we made the collection this morning".

"Well Jenny that's just it, Prudence Sternwood has to attend a business meeting in L.A. tomorrow for a few days and needs her dry cleaning tomorrow."

Jenny begins to check her cleaning rota "We are very busy, we are not due to deliver back until Tuesday"

"I know Jenny, but she is the owner and she won't accept that. If I go tell her that, she'll make us take our business"

Jenny sighs "Okay, Okay, but I won't be able to deliver until noon".

"Oh Jenny thank you!!, don't worry Prudence will collect it herself in the morning.

"Okay, it's fine Tanya bye".

"Thank you Jenny bye". Gretchen hangs up, her face barely able to stretch for her wide smile.

9:05AM The Happy Dry Cleaner Lock Street, Newark, New Jersey Thursday June 6th 2019
Part-time employee Josh Miller was swiping right on a dating site on his cell phone in the back office when door bell clattered indicating a customer. He mutters 'fuck sake" and makes his way to the front desk.
He is greeted by a corpulent lady the far side of the counter.
"What can I do you for" he asks faking interest.

"I'm here to collect my clothes, the name is Sternwood, Prudence. He sighs, "I'll check in the back".

Five minutes later he returns with a collection of suits and blouses
"Okay, here!" he places them on the customer counter top and returns to the back and his dating site.

11:30am The Chitchat cafe, Jersey Avenue, New Jersey. The corpulent lady sits by a window looking out onto the busy avenue sipping on a cup of black coffee.

Gretchen and Ron enter the coffee shop and sit opposite the lady. A wiaitress stops and takes their order of two take out coffees.

Gretchens eyes light up on sight of the dry cleaning "You got the clothes".

"You got the money?", the lady replies.
From inside his fawn summer jacket Ron removes a battered white A4 envolope containing seven hundred dollars.

"Better all be here!" as she places the envelope inside her brown faded handbag

"It is" whispers Gretchen.
The waitress returns with the two coffees. Ron gives her a ten dollar bill and she disappears.




10:30pm North Vermouth Avenue, Atlantic City
It was party time in Gretchens apartment, a pack of 24 cans of coors light and a take away of Wings and fries bought to celebrate their big steal. The four of them laughing wildly as each tried on Prudence's clothing.

"Three black suits, one pin strip, one red, four blouses, you see Florence we're spoiling her already, told you Dicey Dave gets things".

"I won't be too cocky yet Ron. If the police catch her, we could be in trouble".

"Florence relax!!, Moneybags will be well captured before they realise and our lady well hidden away where ever the hell in Pennsylvania she's from"


"Any one for another beer" offers Henry as he cracks one open "Well lets hope Gretchen. Don't think for one minute it's job done. We need to keep our focus on the task. All we done today is steal clothes. We could have done without them but not my decision".

Gretchen lights up a cigarette "you think you're a know it all at times" deepening her voice she mimics him "not my decision". Personally I can't wait to throw her own clothes at her, show her we can do whatever the fuck we want with her."

"Aside from seven million" jokes Ron, spilling beer down his red t-shirt.

"Oh my God that photo, we're so young, look Henry!!" taking a framed photo off a book shelf. "Is that from when I think it is"

Gretchen nods her head in agreement smiling "Do you remember it Florence, the family get together 1986?"

"Oh I do, we were wild"

The Lost Swan Restaurant, Thanksgiving November 1986.
The whole family decided to celebrate Thanksgiving together and chose The Lost Swan Restaurant which is one of the restaurants owned by Prudence's parents.
twenty year old Henry Stone is standing close to the restaurant entrance door under a big swan paining with nineteen year old Gretchen McClure. The are discussing the military as Henry was thinking of signing up and hopefully join special forces.

After a few moments, they are joined by a seventeen year old Florence "Hey guys, this is sooooooooo boring".

Henry laughs "what's wrong Florence, are we not cool enough!"

All through the meal my mum's been at me, she clears her throat and impersonates her mothers strong New York accent "Go talk with Prudence Florry, she's just finished her scholarship with New York Uni and Tri-state Bank and guess what gets a promotion to manager"

Gretchen shivers "Don't know which I'd hate more talking to Prudence or working in a bank"
They laugh "I know, I had to leave the table, saw Prudence and her sister coming out of the kitchen with trays of bites".

Henry nods towards the far end of the restaurant "There she is all business".
They look over. Twenty One year old Prudence Regent is standing with a mixed group of six in a red dress and wearing a pair of anclers on her crown for the holiday season. Her right hand is holding up a silver tray of bites while her left hand motions as she speaks, stopping occasionally to adjust her glasses or not at what the others are saying".

Gretchen sighs "She is so pompous"

Henry takes a sip of his soda "well she got herself a nice set of wheels a brand new Buick Regal Grand National".
"Don't tell my mother that" warns Florence, preparing another impersonation "Florry, Florry, Prudence got herself a brand new car, you need to talk to her. If you don't I'll call her myself".

Gretchen scans around her to ensure no one else is in earshot. "I'm going to show you guys something, ye'll love this!"
She withdraws a brown wallet from her jeans pocket and withdraws an ID card "No problem me getting booze", winks and hands it to Florence.

She stares in it in amazement. It states: Name: Prudence Regent, Date of Birth 17 April 1965.
"About five others using her details too, fuck her" boasts Florence.
Florence hands it to Henry "Can you pleeeeeeeease get me one too in her name. My mate Brad had one but the cops caught him with it and liquor. His parents gave him major shit"

Gretchen smiles as she gets it back from Henry and puts it back into her wallet "It would be my pleasure, just get a photo to me and I'll organise it".

Florence rubs her hands in excitement, "yes booze again"

"Oh fuck no, she's talking to my mother, c'mon lets go outside before she drags me over or worse still, she will send her over here"

Outside it was a crisp but cold November evening "That's her car over there, nice set of wheels, isn't it".

"I know what will make it nicer Henry, keep watch".

Henry and Florence kept watch while Gretchen keyed the passenger door.

10am Tuesday June 11th Avonbridge Automotive Services and Repair, Avonbridge Trading Estate Atlantic City.
Ron is working on a replacement timing belt on a 2015 Volkswagen Rabbit. When his cell phone beeps. He opens it up and reads the SMS "Will call you at the usual number at 18:30.

He deletes the SMS message and gets back to work.




2:30AM The Sternwood residence
After much tossing and turning Prudence eventually got to go to sleep. She is in a dark room, from no where Arabelle and Donnie appear screaming at her, "they've taken everything what have you done, what have you done". She begins to panic, her breathing becomes fast and laboured chains appear around her black trouser suit and tighten into her body. She found it harder and harder to breathe. Then Donnie and Arabelle disappeared and the room seemed to spin, voices around her were laughing but no one was visible, she tried to plead for them to stop taunting but couldn't speak. She jolts when a voice whispers "Prudence" and wakes up. "She gasps hard underneath her CPAP mask, her heart thumping from the imaginary adrenaline rush. Everything is a blur.













Monday July 8th 9:45am. The offices of PD Sternwood Financial Services Wilson Avenue Newark

A gentle knock on her oak office door draws Prudence's attention away from a liquidity spreadsheet on her pc. Her five foot six, personal assistant Tanya Weavers enters. Tanya a Yoga fanatic and weekend soccer player enters, dressed in a red dress and navy blazer

"I'm going to head down now to the coffee nest and have the table ready for the employee award winners. I'll keep the usual seat for you and is it a Mocha Latte?"

Prudence adjusts her glasses "Yes please Tanya, though no cakes for me, Arabelle will kill me if I do".

Tanya smiles and winks "no worries, I'll cover you if you change your mind"

Prudence laughs "she'll walk in herself for a coffee, just to check on me".
Tanya smiles and exists closing the door behind her.
A reminder at 9:55am popped up on Prudence's screen "Make your way to the employee awards" She tutted and sighed in annoyance. The cafe was a mere four hundred metre walk from the office entry door. Prudence dreaded the thought of the walk. Each quarter she promised to lose weight. Each quarter seemed to get more demanding. Each quarter demanded more and more working hours. As these demands increased the energy to diet and get active was sucked out of her. The business success came at a price. It imprisoned her, demanding more and more time and energy. Her prison uniform was no orange jump suit but tailor made dull corporate business suit. The light grey suit she wore was one of the brighter ones.


Thursday July 11th 9:15am. The offices of PD Sternwood Financial Services Doremus Avenue Newark
Prudence sat at her expensive oak desk in her office. A reminder popped up on her computer screen "ten am half yearly employee award winners morning coffee"

Prudence tuts in annoyance. The short six minute walk to the Coffee Nest Cafe for some was no bother but not to Prudence. Her exercise was mainly short irregular walks in the office, something that got her into constant arguments with Arabelle. She opened up her skype chat to her personal assistant Tanya and typed "Tanya, can you please go into the Coffee Nest Early and ensure that the table is suitable and also that a seat is left positioned easy for me to get in and out of"

Tanya immediately replies "I've booked the same table as last time, it worked well. I'll go in at 9:45 and ensure that the same seat is kept for you, the usual for you Mocha Latte?"

Prudence replies "Yes Please"



12pm Metro Plaza New Jersey. The corpulent lady waits in a cafe on Metro Plaza. She sits by a window with the dry cleaning and sips on a cup of black coffee.

Gretchen and Ron enter the coffee shop and sit opposite the lady. A wiaitress stops and takes their order of two take out coffees.

Gretchens eyes light up on sight of the dry cleaning "You got the clothes".

"You got the money?", the lady replies.
From inside his fawn summer jacket Ron removes a battered white A4 envolope containing seven hundred dollars.

"Better all be here!" as she places the envelope inside her brown faded handbag

"It is" whispers Gretchen.
The waitress returns with the two coffees. Ron gives her a ten dollar bill and she disappears.

The corpulent lady stands up from the table "If its not all here, I'll be given the cops a tip off" and walks away.

For later
Donnie in chat with Arabelle. "I remember when I first laid eyes on your mother in the office. I wasn't long hired as a property management consultant. She was head of Wealth Management. There was a Town Hall meeting. She got up and presented, I was mesmerised from the way she wore her dark suit to the way she spoke and expressed herself with her hands"

Arabelle wipes her eyes. "She loves her suits" Donnie Remineses back to April 1997 New York International Bank 9.30am.
Donnie was out of his apartment, when he realised, he forgot his tie. He was slightly hung over after attending a gig the night before in Madison Square Garden. His boss was out of office, so he decided to forget about a tie. He'd be fine for the day, he'd no meetings. He enters his office on the second drops off his rain jacket and heads up to the floor canteen for a coffee.

32 year old Prudence dressed in a black business suit is walking in the opposite way, she is extremely unimpressed by his ties absence. She doesn't even notice Donnie's smile, she barely notices him say 'Morning Prudence'.

She motions her hands at her neck like she was tightening an invisible tie "Where's your tie" She snaps.
Donnie is taken back by her directness "I forgot it".

"WHAT?" she squeals" putting forward her open left palm "how can you forget your tie, you wear one everyday" comments Prudence with irritation

He really didn't want to say he was partially hung over "I thought it was in my jacket"

She adjusts the glasses on her nose "Your a corporate businessman!!" flexing her extended left arm out "A corporate businessman must always have a spare tie at hand".

"I know I'm sorry Prudence,as I said earlier I'll bring a spare tie in tomorrow, in fact I'll bring in two".

Prudence frowns in disgust and extends out her open palms to each side "Not good enough Don!!, You're a senior manager, you have to lead by example, you're expected to lead by example".

Donnie sighs "I can only apologise so often Prudence" his tone growing impatient "but You're right, I'll make sure tomorrow to bring a spare tie".

Extending her left hand out again "What if a high net worth client unexpectedly came into the building to meet you, what then?"

Donny had no response, he was beginning to feel a headache coming on. He shrugs his shoulders "it's unlikely but your right, I suppose I'd have to apologise for my tardiness".

Prudence begins circular motions with her left hand "My mother says in business, plan for the unlikely, and the unexpected won't happen" She stretches out her left arm with with open palm in the direction of her office "In my office I have a spare suit and blouse".

Donnie stares dumbfounded he didn't want to argue or have the interest in arguing especially when she is being so defiant "awesome, you're definitely showing me up".
She adjusts her glasses on her nose and makes an itty bitty hand gesture with her left hand "It's not about showing you up. It's about doing the small things right. Business starts with this!"

After his reprimand from Prudence he makes an extra large coffee and promises himself he'll hibernate in his office all day and avoid her. He returns to his office and just has the door shut when there is a knock and in pops Prudence armed with three ties in her right hand "I do hold spare ties for the guys in my department".

She re-examines the ties and selects a two-tone blue silk tie which she places in her left palm and places the other two on his desk. He stares silently and resigns himself to his thought "I obviously have no say in this."
She positions the tie around the back of her neck and lets it hang lose over each breast. She adjusts each length until she's happy with the positioning. "My father says a businessman without a tie is like a referee without a whistle".

With a sullen tone Donnie reply "Your parents seem very smart".

"They are, don't forget to button up your top shirt button, a businessman should never wear a tie with an open top collar button. it's all about impression and presentation".

With a grunt he does as he's told but he can't help but smile as she smiles at him in delight.


"My father thought me how to tie a tie" she exclaimed "I am going to do a full windsor knot,it will compliment your collar. Your tie knot should be built around your shirt collar.
You should always take your time preparing your tie. My father says you can tell a lot by a man on how he wears a tie. Nothing worse than meeting clients or colleagues and ties are either angled badly, knotted badly or hanging loosely or hanging loosely with an open collar."

"Is that so" laughs Donnie "You could be a professor in ties"

Prudence giggles like a child "Both my parents are in the restaurant and catering business. Personal presentation was drilled into my sister and I at a young age. My grandmother on my mothers side is Italian. She married a farmer here, so I blame her for my love of suits and the way I talk with my hands"

She removes the tie and admires her work "Now thats well constructed", "Put it on." She orders Donnie "A businessperson should never undervalue the importance of the neck tie!"
He does as he's told "how's that he asks", She smiles "Not quite". She steps towards him, straightens and tightens it up more at the collar "thats better, now your ready for business"

"I think you prefer ties than men like wearing them" he states boldly with a cheeky grin.

Prudence beams, adjusts her glasses on her nose and puts forward her left arm with open palm "I am from a family where the tie is a everyday garment like socks and underwear. When my sister and I started private school, we weren't given the elasticated tie, we were given a proper tie and thought how to knot it and wear it properly and with pride. We were thought, your jacket or sweater can come off but the tie stays where it is. When we were old enough to work in the parents business we had the gold coloured staff tie on. If we were helping with invoicing or accounting from home, the uniform had to go on and that tie never loosened all day. The business put bread on the table so we all had to professional in our involvement. My father rarely is without a tie. Christmas day and vacation time. That's it. My mother tells him, a businessmans collar must have a tie. Sometimes the male construction worker relatives taunt him that he hasn't a real man's job and does the tie hide the lack of hairs on his chest. He ignores them. Mum does kiss him on the check tell them he's her businessman and that the pen is mightier than the seorfMy father always says a businessman doesn't have much to work with; a conservative suit, conservative shirt, so the one thing that can set him aside is his tie. A businessman should consider which tie to wear like a plumber on what tools are needed to fix a tap. I do like ties. I have some shirts with which I wear a tie. When I wear one it remains properly positioned at the collar right up until bedtime."

Donny takes a sip of his coffee "This coffee is good. You're ever the professional, I'll drop the tie back to your desk when I finish work"

"No" she states ardently making a stop signal with her left hand "Your tie doesn't come off until you're outside the building, as senior manager I'd go as far as saying not until your home or even doesn't come off at all. I would tell the junior members of the department who're on low salaries they can keep it as a spare but I want to never see them without a tie again.Your a senior manager, you can afford to buy another one and I know that you won't be tieless again"

"Well" he jokes "Certainly won't not after todays lecture"

Prudence grins "If I didn't lecture you, chances are you'll be tieless again. This way you won't"


Donnie places his arm around her. I remember I was at a Yankees game, they won, had a few too many beers that night. Next day got up, got dressed for work. Had locked the appartment when I realised I'd no tie but thought, screw it boss is away. Anyways in the office, decided go get a coffee, who do i meet in the corridor, Prudence, she made a tie tighening motion at her neck with her left hand and goes to me "Where's your tie Don". I said I forgot it. "She then goes, a corporate businessman should always have a spare tie nearby and she'd a spare blouse and suit in the office". I return to my desk with my coffee, next thing Prudence arrives with three ties in her hand "I always keep a few spare ties for the lads on my team" she hands me a two tone blue one "My father says, a businessman without a tie is like a referee without a whistle . Your also a senior manager and you have to lead by example. If the men in my department see you tieless then they will be asking why do they have to". She proceeds to tie it for him. My father thought me how to tie a tie. I like a good Windsor knot. We don't have a mirror unfortunately but you should take your time with your tie. My father says you can tell a lot about a man on how he wears a tie. Nothing worse than meeting clients or colleagues with ties hanging badly or knotted badly or with an open collar. Business is unforgiving, impressions last, that's why your tie position and preparation is so important. "thanks states Don"
My mother says a businesswoman must carry make up, business cards paper and spare pens. A businessman instead of make up a, spare tie.
© Copyright 2017 amateur40 (amateur40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137763-Who-Let-Off