*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2138065-A-short-walk
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2138065
When a dog finds a cow
Ambeling along, the banjo across his back. The road was dusty, that didn't bother him. He knew there would be people at the carnival where he was heading, they would enjoy his music. He always knew how to draw in a crowd. The money would fly into his hat, and he would have more than enough. He looked around, and didn't see Mr. Bo, so he whistled.
"Bo, here Bo." he hollered, still the hound . could not be seen. He stopped in his tracks. Looking everywhere. He enjoyed the dog's company, but if the dog wanted to go in one direction, there was no stopping him.
"Well I don't rightly know if I should go or if I should wait?" He spoke to himself. The cool autumn breeze brushed his face, filled with the smells of all around. He knew near by there were a small heard of cows, he could also smell someone fringing chicken. There was a muskie oder as well. Skunk? Possum? or badger? It would be like that hound to have gotten into some scrape with some critter. There was a russel in the the tall corn on his right, and as he looked in the fading light, he saw a cow, and leading the bovine, was the houndlooking all pleased with himself.
"So what re ya planning to do with the cow, Bo?" The dog tilted it's head to one side, and lolled out it's tong.
"I's got t' get t' the carnival, I still need t' practice my song's . Ye best be sending that there cowaway." The houndbounce up on it's feet, and commenced to chase it's tail. His antics got the man laughing, then the banjo came off his back, and he began to sing; "hey diddle, diddle. I'm no cat, this ain't a fiddle. But I bet this cow could jump the moon. My dog don't laugh, but he sure can dance. A lot better then I can croon" As he sang, he went back to ambeling, and came to a broken fence. Beyond it were several cows, all enjoying the corn. The singer realized that the cows were getting into the corn field, and went to knock on the door of a house near by. A man answered, "Can I help you?"
"Do you own the field with the cow/s?"
"why yes I do. why?"
"The fence went down, and they are eating the corn near by."
The farmer rushed out, the singer, and the hound went with him. They drove the cow's back, and got them all into their field. The singer chased the cow that followed him back to the field as well.
The farmer offered him a meal, and though the singer was hungry, he knew he would get fed at the carnival by the stage people, once he did his show, so he refused. The farmer wanted to repay him for his help, and asked if there was anything that he could give him. The singer saw some really nice fruit on the table, and asked;
"Could I have an apple? That should hold me till tonight after my show." The farmer gave it to him gratefully. He also told the singer that if he ever came back this way, his door would always be open.
© Copyright 2017 Jennifer Littington (jennlit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2138065-A-short-walk