*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2138200-Child-of-Nyuvreth--Chapter-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2138200
In the village of Favrion a girl resides, with everything she wants by her side.


NEYRAND


A firm hand shook her furiously awake and her sea-green eyes shot open.

It was a blur at first, so she rubbed the sleep off her eyes and her vision fell into place. The first sight she saw was the kindly, old face of her grandmother, her golden hair streaked in white; kneeling beside her bed with concern etched all over her still handsome features.

"What is it, Nana?" the girl asked.

"You were tossing and turning and screaming all night. Are you alright, dear?"

Every night it was the same. The marble hallway, the beautiful library with the domed roof, the sounds....... but worst of all was the man with the tainted features and scarred body, as she remembered how he killed that pitiful old man mercilessly and in cold blood. She shivered as chills went down her spine.

"Its nothing, Nana, just another bad dream."

"Oh my poor, sweet Neyrand," said her grandma, "you've been having them a lot lately."

She began to gently stroke Neyrand's soft, dark curls.

"Yes, I know," Neyrand replied. "But it's nothing to worry about, Nana, really."

"Are you sure you don't want to talk about it?" Nana asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, I'm very sure."

"Alright then," Nana said, standing up, "I'll be downstairs making breakfast, while you get yourself dressed, young lady."

Neyrand nodded and her grandmother smiled, closing the door behind her. She sighed and climbed out of bed, walking over to her dressing table, where a basin of clear water rested on top of it.

The dressing table had quite a large mirror, its glass was dotted with rusted, black spots here and there. She looked at it and gazed upon her reflection.

Her jet-black curls were a mess, and lack of sleep caused dark circles to form underneath her eyes- causing them to look droopy and lifeless. Neyrand groaned. She brought her hands together and scooped water from the basin and rinsed her face with it. She combed her wild curls and decided to let it go free today. She then proceeded to change out of her linen nightshift into an old, faded blue gown that reached her ankles.

It must've taken her a lengthy period of time to dress herself. For by the time she left her room and descended the creaky, wooden steps, her breakfast of fish broth had gone cold and her grandmother left her a note saying she had left to open the inn for the day. Neyrand gobbled up the last drops of fish broth and ran next door to begin work at the inn with her grandmother- greeting fellow villagers along the way.

In the village of Favrion, filled with quaint cottages and lovely-mannered people, no one ever held a grudge against one another. Everyone lived in perfect, idyllic harmony and the village had never been or even bothered to be involved with matters of the outside world......and they preferred to keep it that way for as long as possible.

The inn was located at the highest hill of Favrion and had been in the family business since the early days of the village. It was named Hargavon's Hearth after Albertus Hargavon -founder of the inn and Neyrand's ancestor- who travelled to Favrion to turn over a new leaf and begin anew. All strangers who passed through the village spent the night in Hargavon's Hearth, and soon word spread of the inn on top of the hill; of its warmth, hospitality and delectable delicacies.

Hargavon's Hearth now belonged to Neyrand's grandmother, Augusta Hargavon, who originally intended to pass it on to Neyrand's parents- had not an unfortunate accident taken their lives so suddenly. It now stands to the young, 17 year old Neyrand to inherit the place, fortunately it was also her utmost desire to one day manage the inn. There was nothing else in the world she would rather do.

After a lengthy 5 hour shift of serving weary visitors from far and wide -as well as listening to the occasional traveller's tale- it was nearing 12 in the afternoon. Neyrand particularly favoured this time of day, for it was lunch break and her dearest friend Maud Rolyn would come for a visit.

As Neyrand left the inn, a familiar sight greeted her eyes. The well-known glint of gold reflected off of Maud's hair as she scampered up the hill -in her simple brown dress that extended above her ankles- a look of pure excitement and giddiness on her face. Once she made it atop the hill, she was perspiring heavily and her round face was red with overexertion. Yet that did not erase the enthusiasm still apparent upon her features.

"Neyrand!" Maud said, heaving.

"What's the rush?"

"Have you ever heard of the Forbidden Forest?"

"I think so. Isn't that the forest everyone in the village warns to steer clear of?" Neyrand questioned.

"Yes!" Maud chirped.

"What about it?"

"I believe that we should go there right now!" Maud nearly screamed out.

Instantly, Neyrand slapped a hand over Maud's infamous large mouth, and gestured her to be quiet.

"Do you have any idea of what you're saying?!"

"Sure I do," Maud whispered excitedly, her hazel-brown eyes shining in glee.

"You do know the what would happen if we were to be found out?" Neyrand said, raising an eyebrow.

"That's what makes it all the more exciting!"

Neyrand started to hesitate. She was very well aware of the consequences if she were to agree to Maud Rolyn's often foolish and dangerous plans. Everyone in Favrion knew of the Forbidden Forest's reputation for being notoriously haunted and beset with horrendous-looking creatures that lurked in the dark. Parents -as well as their ancestors before them - often told their children nightmarish bedtime stories about the monsters that would prey on naughty, disobedient, little children and eat them for breakfast if they were ever to step foot into the Forbidden Forest. This would most likely be an effective method for parents to frighten their children and keep them away from the Forest, but not for Maud.

Rather than being scared like most children would, Maud instead became increasingly interested and curious in the Forbidden Forest as the years went by. She had -more often than normal- tried to sneak off and enter the Forest, only to be caught and sent back to her frustrated parents. Yet Maud was the relentless type, and with each failed attempt she became ever more determined to explore the Forest.

Sensing Neyrand's hesitation, Maud dropped to her knees and with teary eyes, began to beg.

"Please Neyrand," Maud pleaded, "this could be my one and only chance to ever enter the Forbidden Forest!"

"W-well-" Neyrand began.

"It's always been my dream since I was 5!"

"But M-Maud-"

"Neyrand, how could you be so heartless to crush your dearest friend's dreams like this!" Maud cried, standing up and turning away from her; shutting her eyes and raising her hand dramatically onto her forehead.

"Alright, fine."

"Oh, thank you!" Maud screamed, hugging Neyrand so tightly she thought she might break from the pressure.

Grabbing her hand, Maud quickly led Neyrand down the hill and turned left towards the market. Passing through countless shops, stalls and large wagons where fishermen presented the fresh batch of fish they had caught earlier this morning, while butchers displayed their juiciest cuts of meat. Silversmiths, sword-smiths, tailors, jewellers and merchants from foreign kingdoms recommended their products and wares to passersby.

The two girls then ran towards the simple, wooden entrance gate of Favrion, where travellers occasionally pass through. They backed themselves up against the entrance gate and Maud slowly poked her head out from behind the wall to check if the coast was clear. Fortunately for them, it was. They hurriedly walked through the entrance gate and were greeted with the view of the vast expanse of lush, green fields and not far beyond that, to their right, stood the Forbidden Forest.

Squealing, Maud dashed through the fields and towards the direction of the Forest, leaving Neyrand behind in her excitement. Cursing, Neyrand took a deep breath and immediately followed after her overly obsessed friend.

         

18

         

© Copyright 2017 C.M.Morrison (ar_morrison at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2138200-Child-of-Nyuvreth--Chapter-1