*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2139082-NaNo-2017-plot-backstory
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Assignment · Mystery · #2139082
The scene of the accident that started it all in Tangled Roots - NaNo 2017
“Shit!” MJ yelled. Riley could feel something warm in his face. He reached up to his forehead. His hand came away red. He was bleeding. He heard a car horn steadily blaring. It seemed to get louder and louder. Rile couldn’t block it out. He fumbled for the car door.
“What the hell?” He heard MJ yell. “My leg!” his friend cried. Riley didn’t stop to check on MJ. He stumbled out of the car. He saw a gray sedan. He didn’t recognize it at first. The front of MJs Beemer was basically in the front seat of the sedan. He ran to the other side of the car, wiping the blood running into his eyes. He heard someone screaming. He pulled on the front door handle. It wouldn’t budge. Assuming it was locked, Riley tore off his shirt and wrapped his hand in it. He smelled gas. Whoever was in that car, they needed to get out. He smashed the window. The screaming got louder. Riley knew it was coming from the back seat.
“You’re okay,” Riles yelled into the car. “I’m going to get you out!”
“Mom! Mom! Mom!” the voice yelled. There was a woman slumped over the steering wheel. Even in the dark Riley knew it wasn’t good. He sat her up. Her face and chest were full of blood. He couldn’t look at her. The boy in the back seat kept screaming. Riley turned and lurched away from the car. His stomach turned and he threw up.
“We’ve gotta get the hell out of here!” MJ was behind him “Come on!”
“We’ve got to get them out,” Riley said, regaining his composure. “Shit! Don’t you smell that gas? This thing could blow up!”
“Let it!” MJ shot back. “Let’s go already!” MJ grabbed Riley by the arm. Riley turned and punched his friend in the face.
“Go to hell. I’m going to get them out.”
“Screw you!” MJ yelled. “We’ve got to get out of here. I can’t be part of this!”
“You should have thought of that before you dragged me out here shitfaced!” Riley didn’t have time for MJs shit. He went back to the car.
“I’m out of here,” he heard MJ say as he turned to leave.
“It’s your fucking car, dick weed!” Riley realized he lady in the front seat was gone. There was no way she would have made it.
“And if you say anything to anybody, you’ll pay!” MJ said as he limped off down the road. “The fucking thing was stolen, as far as I care. Maybe you stole it. Maybe you did this!”
Riley froze. MJ could make it look like that. MJ’s dad was the judge. He would do anything to keep his son out of trouble. The boy in the back seat started crying.
“Move away from the window,” Riley told him, breaking the glass with his shirt-covered hand. He opened the door from the inside. The boy was shook up, for sure, but he didn’t look to bad. Riley’s heart dropped. It was Cooper Thomas. Elaine was the dead lady in the front seat. His eyes welled with tears.
“Mom!” Cooper yelled.
“Come on, buddy,” Riley reached for him. He unbuckled the boys’ seat belt and pulled him out of the car. Cooper passed out. Riley threw him over his shoulder and headed for the field at the other side of the intersection. They needed to be far enough away in case the gas ignited.
“What am I going to do now?” Riley thought. Cooper was passed out. Elaine was dead. MJ was not going down for this. Riley didn’t want it pinned on him. He heard a car coming down the road. All he could think to do was run. Whoever it was would see the accident and would see Cooper. He moved Cooper closer to the intersection, hoping whoever was in the car got there before anything blew up. Riley stood up and bolted for the woods. Briars and brambles sticking to his clothes and scrapping his arms, he ran until he couldn’t run any more. He sat down with his back against a tree. Blood was starting to dry on his face. He hadn’t felt anything else until then. Adrenaline, he supposed. His left hand was swollen and he felt his lip was twice it’s normal size. His head hurt, and so did his right arm. Nothing life-threatening, he assured himself. He needed to get to MJ’s house. He could hear sirens in the distance. Whoever was coming down the road must have called the cops. He hoped Cooper would be safe, at least. Cooper. Cooper had seen him. He would know Riley was there. Riley didn’t know what to do. He felt like crying. For the first time since he was five, he felt like crying. He would have to stick with whatever MJ and his dad decided. It was his only chance. He could spend the rest of his life in prison if he didn’t. He just hoped they had a plan. He stood up and walked toward the road. His only chance was to go to MJ’s house, and to not get caught on the way.
© Copyright 2017 Beck Firing back up! (write2b at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2139082-NaNo-2017-plot-backstory