*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2139217-Haunted-House-Mystery
by Eldos
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Mystery · #2139217
Sometimes it's what it seems for Stephanie
Contest Entry: Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
Prompt: Build, Work, Nice
Words : 299


My name is Stephanie and it’s almost Halloween! The best time of the year. You see I like to dress up and build a Haunted House in my garage. The neighborhood kids almost expect me to do it. This year though, things will be different.

About a month ago I had an accident, it wasn’t too bad. A lady missed the red light and hit us on my side. I was in the hospital for about a month before I was able to go home. Mom and Dad were still sad about it. I didn’t understand a lot of the jargon they spoke about at the hospital, but the important thing is that I was home and ready to plan my Haunted House.

Our garage was big, it fit 3 cars, so I was able to have enough room to make a decent Haunted House. I would always make a locked room. I would hide the key in one of the 4 holes that I would leave on the walls. The holes lead to bowls where I made squishy things. Some felt like eyes, others like guts, it was a lot of work, but fun to make.

The next day I learned something, I was busy working on the bowls when I realized my mom and dad were not home anymore. It was odd, the house felt empty, the lights weren’t as bright, and air was heavy. I was confused, I checked the haunted house and it was still intact, it looked nice so far. I went outside and even the sun was dimmed, almost as if it was a cloudy day. A small boy came from the neighbor’s house and asked “How did it happen?”

Startle I asked “what do you mean?”

He responded “How did you die?”
© Copyright 2017 Eldos (stryfe86 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2139217-Haunted-House-Mystery