*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2141301-The-Princesss-Smile
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2141301
A short fairy tale.
Once upon a time there was a princess who sported a lovely mouth full of pearly-whites. Every maiden in the kingdom envied the princess because of her toothy smile.

One day, Age came knocking on the castle door and thusly, her bottom tooth. The incisor popped out, leaving a hole in the princess's perfect mouth and, forthwith, causing bitter tears to run down her fair cheeks. Age, having accomplished his quest, left from whence he came with a whirl of his simple cloak.

"Why is thy countenance downcast, my dear?" The King asked, "Dost thou not know that Age knocks out every child's tooth? It is the only way the fairies can obtain their precious tooth tea."

The princess, surprised, halted her tears and stepped from the lagoon she had created around her feet.

"Fairies?" Her green eyes widened in delight.

"Of course!" The King replied with a laugh, "If thou place thy tooth under thy silk pillow tonight, a wee fairy will come and take it from thee."

"Take my tooth!" The princess cried, outraged. "And what, pray tell, do I get in return? For I will not give up my perfect smile for naught!"

"'Tis a strange thing, indeed," the King consoled, "But in exchange for thy tooth, you will receive a gold coin."

"A gold coin?" she scoffed, "In exchange for a hideous smile? I shall be the laughingstock of the entire kingdom!"

The King shook his noble head, "A new tooth will grow in place of the old."

The princess gave an unladylike sniff and nodded, "I shall let the fairies have my tooth for their tea then."

"Very good!" The King grinned, "Your new tooth shall be even more perfect than the last. Unless, of course, you need braces..."

"What?"

"Never mind..."
© Copyright 2017 Genipher (geniphery at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2141301-The-Princesss-Smile