*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2141707-Meet-Cute
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2141707
Three Minute Read
Meet Cute

‘She raised the flute of champagne to her lips, trembling as she listened to the whisper in her ear.’ Susan read, as she raised the mug of coffee to her lips, immediately burning them, because she’d microwaved it too long. “I have got to stop reading these stupid romance novels,” she thought. These things never happen. Looking around her apartment, Sunday, still in pajamas, lost in a fictional story, she started feeling depressed.

She kept telling everyone she was getting over Alex. Truth, she was never that serious about Alex, nor he about her. It was just convenient and they both knew it. Frankly, she assumed she would never marry. Take someone on just because it’s expected? Her mother went on and on about ‘kids,’ but she refused to ‘marry’ someone just to make it cozy. Not required anymore either. She was a responsible adult, making a good living, she didn’t require a man to complete her. Now, if she could find a man who enriched her, that would be different. Were there any good single men out there anymore?

Hauling herself up, she was struck with determination to start anew! Embrace singleness! She felt invigorated! She’d start small, clean her apartment. That would keep her busy too, so she wouldn’t need to think about dinner at Mother’s tonight, dread, dread. Her singleness would certainly be hauled out again there, and passed around to the relatives and who knows who else, for comment...
...
Later, as Tom knocked on Angela’s door, he thought, “Never again will I agree to dinner at a co-worker’s!” That Angela refused to take no for an answer! Well, she was the only co-worker left with a single daughter, at least it’d be the last sneaky set up he’d have to live through.

Susan opens the door.
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2141707-Meet-Cute