*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2142019-Missing-Part-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Mystery · #2142019
Part 2 of Missing
Missing, Part 2

After speaking with Florence my next task was to go speak with the daughter, Zoe. I wanted to know from her what she saw that night her dad disappeared. I walked across to the other end of the hallway and found a door that was closed. I tried to open it was locked. I knocked on the door, “Go AWAY!” the voice said. I could tell that this was the daughter’s room and she locked herself in. I tried again but she still wouldn’t open the door. I walked back to the master bedroom and asked Florence if there was any way I could get Zoe to open the door. “You can knock on that door until your knuckles start to bleed, she won’t open the door.” Florence said, “the poor girl has really been spooked.” I think Mrs. Robinson mentioned that there was a spare key somewhere around the hall out there but I forgot where it was. I took a look around the hall I looked in the boxes that I saw on the floor but there was nothing in it. Then I saw the door that led out to the balcony but it was boarded up. I then walked over to the stand where a vase was standing on it. I was about to open the drawers when I heard a jingling sound coming from the vase. I turned the vase over and I a key came out of the vase. I picked up the key and walked over to the door and unlocked it.

I walked into the room and found a little girl sitting on the floor drawing a picture. “Hi” she said, “You must be the detective that is here to help find daddy.” “Yes” I said. I pick my questions very carefully” “Do you like this house?” “No, I wish we never moved here!” she said. “I hate everything about this house, its big and scary and there is a ghost haunting this house! When Uncle Frank died we inherited this house. My daddy decided to move us out here, biggest mistake he ever made, now that he is gone my mommy is so worried now she doesn’t know what to do. Florence scares me, she always talks about ghosts and that weird things are happening around here, so I really don’t talk to her much. “What happened the night your dad disappeared?” “Daddy was reading me a bed time story, about half way through the story we heard a knock at the door. Daddy walked downstairs to see what was going on, when he opened the door mist started coming into the house and something pulled him in. I heard him scream and when I ran downstairs he was gone.” Detective please find daddy! I told that I was going to find him and get to the bottom of this case. I ended my questioning with that and headed back downstairs.

I went back and talked with Mrs. Robinson and asked her if I could take a walk down town to speak with the locals to see if they had any idea what happened to her husband. She told me that she would rather have me stay here but If I must then go. Now that the rain had stopped I had walked outside and saw a man out front who appeared to be tending the garden. I walked up to him and introduced myself. “I’m Harold” he told me, I’m Florence’s husband and you probably already met her I presuming. Yes, I told him. “Do you have any idea what could have happened to Mr. Robinson?” “I have no idea where that fella gone off to” he said. I will tell you this, there is no ghost and there are no such things as ghosts. There must be logical explanation here and I don’t believe that it involves any ghosts. My wife has gone all crazy believing that some ghost took him and that weird things are happening around this house, it is nothing but hog wash! Now if you please excuse me I have a lot of work ahead of me I would like to get back to it. With that I continued my way back towards town.

I crossed a bridge and looked through passage that led into the swamp. I walked the trail that led into the swamp seeing if I could find anything there. I walked the trails along the edge of the swamp trying to make sure I don’t run into an alligator or snake. I then saw something else through the trees, a bearded man was staring me. He was wearing a hood so I couldn’t see his face very well. I walked up to him and introduced myself. I am investigating the disappearance of Greg Robinson do you have any idea where he might be? “NO AND I DON’T CARE TO!” he yelled. “I DON’T KNOW WHO THE HECK YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT I NEVER HEARD OF ANY GREG ROBINSON!” I asked him if he knew anything about a ghost that is haunting the house., “YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME YOU CAME ALL THIS WAS JUST TO ASK ME ABOUT SOME STUPID GHOST! IF YOU DON’T LEAVE ME ALONE THE ONLY GHOST AROUND HERE IS GOING TO BE YOU IF YOU DON’T LEAVE ME ALONE! With that he pulled a gun out of his jacket pocket and pointed it directly at me. I backed away slowly with my hands up, “put the gun down sir I don’t mean any harm”. I continually back up and then I ran away not looking back and exited the swamp. I then made my way into town.

I walked down the road and found on the left side was a voodoo shop but it was closed. I then continued down the road and found myself at a tavern. I walked inside and found a man sitting down at the table and woman behind the bar. I walked up to the bar and introduced myself to the bartender. I ordered a drink and began asking her if she knew that family that had moved into the manor down the road. “No, I didn’t know that someone had moved in there” I then told here that they were the Robinsons and that Mr. Robinson had disappeared. “I have no idea who he is and I have never seen him around here, in fact I have never seen anyone from that house around here. I thanked her and then decided to have a talk with the man at the table. “Afternoon stranger” he said to me. I introduce myself and ask him if he had ever heard of someone named Greg Robinson. “I have no idea who you are talking about” I wasn’t aware that someone had gone missing. I say that because I’m a police officer and I would have known if something like happened. My name is Vinton, he told me. I told him what happened that night Mr. Robinson disappeared and he was shocked. “We never received any calls about that and you would think if someone in your family disappears you would the police and file a missing persons report. I thanked him and he told me he would in any way he could. I then my headed out of the tavern and went back to the manor I noticed the voodoo store was opened and I walked inside. “Good evening detective” the woman behind the counter said” the spirits told me you would be coming here tonight, my name is Mama Lu, I am a psychic, please have a look around”. I told her about what happened to Mr. Robinson and if she knew anything about his disappearance. “I don’t know of any lost souls, she told me. I have never heard of the person you are talking about” she said. She then closed her eyes I am getting a vision, there is something in……the swamp, yes the swamp you must go out to the swamp. Something tells you might find what you are looking for there. I thank her and headed out.

I made my way back into the swamp wondering what I was going to find and hoping I wasn’t going to run into that man again. I walked all the to the end of the trail and noticed that there was a second trail going left. I followed that trail and found a small shack at the end of the trail. I walked up to the door and opened it. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!!” a man yelled and he ran out and without saying another word. I looked around the small room and saw a table, on it were various wigs, beards and glasses. It seems someone was pretending to be someone they were not. I couldn’t help noticed the jacket the man was wearing looked very familiar. I then saw something on the floor, the man had dropped his wallet. I picked up the wallet and looked inside. What I found inside that wallet was a total shock. This case has just been turned up-side down.
© Copyright 2017 Football Fan (mcultrara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2142019-Missing-Part-2