*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2142187-Dirty-Cash
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #2142187
A past deed changes the future.
"We need to talk, Mr. Smith." The woman had her blond hair pulled into a severe ponytail. Her fire red dress stopped at the know and showed off her gams. "I have something to say that you will want to hear."

"I doubt that but have a seat." It took all my willpower not to roll my eyes at this woman. They all had something to say that I needed to hear. Most of the time, it was why I should marry them and not sign a prenuptial agreement. Like I was an idiot. "I am not in the market for a wife. Sorry, you have wasted your time."

"I wouldn't marry you. Not after what you did to your first wife. Does Collina know about that?" My blood ran cold. When I started my new life, I made sure that there was no way to trace my previous identity. The fact that she had mentioned my secret girlfriend, Collina Clark, meant she had been following me. "Collina Clark is simply a recording artist for my label."

"Little 'miss sickly sweet' has been seen coming out of your house every morning for five weeks. Don't act like you guys are talking music all that time. And I noticed you said nothing about Andrea Archer. Your first wife. The one that you killed."

I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and let the memory flood back.

"I didn't want to do this. You have to know that. If there were any other way to get the money, I would've found it." I emptied the powder that was guaranteed to kill my wife into her wine glass.

"Did you say something, Honey?" Andrea asked as I handed her the wine. She took a large gulp and smiled at me. The smile contorted into a mask of pain as the powder worked it's way through her system.

As she fell to the ground clutching her chest, lit a match and throw it on the floor. I watched as the flames licked up the wall. I left the house, walked to the main street, and hailed a cab. As we drove around the bends of the twisting road, I shot the driver. As the car careened across the rail gate and I jumped out of the car. Miles Archer was officially dead, just like his wife. Everything was left to a mysterious Mr. Smith.

"I don't know what you're talking about. You can read about my history online. My rags-to-riches story is well documented."

"I can also read about the spaghetti monster on the internet. He's more real than you are." She reached into her handbag and produced a manila envelope. Every billionaire worries about being blackmailed, most of us have a plan in place. "Don't bother trying to shoot me, when I don't check in with my contact, copies of these files are sent to the DOJ and every tabloid. You will be ruined, and Collina's career will be destroyed."

"What is it that you want from me? I can give you cash, stock, whatever it is you want. All you have to do is tell me."

"The clichanswer would be I want you to teach me but screw that. I want everything. You need to name me your heir. In your will, I want you to leave me everything in the event of your death. And before you tell me that Collina is already named your heir apparent, just know that there is a sniper on her right now. When she is killed, everything will be traced back to you."

"Why are you doing this to me? Who sent you?"

"I hear a lot of questions and yet not an agreement to my demands. Do you want Ms. Clark to be killed?"

"Of course not, I love her."

"Just like you loved Andrea. But you had no problem killing her."

"You have no idea what you're talking about."

"Don't I? Come on Mr. Arch--"

"Smith. My name is Smith."

"Whatever. Are you going to hand over your dirty cash and empire to me or do I destroy it all?"

"I don't even know your name. How can I name you my heir without knowing who you are."

"The same you named Mr. Smith the beneficiary of your life insurance policies. But you make a fair point; you can call me Ms. Archer."

"That's just sick. Trying to take over my dead wife's identity. You should be ashamed of yourself."

"Well, I would be, if that was what I was doing, but it's not. Daddy."

Daddy? How was this possible? After Andrea died, there had been no other female companionship until Collina. "There is no way I am your father."

"You aren't as smart as I thought you were. Maybe I should explain everything."

"Finally."

"See when you tried to kill Andrea, she was pregnant with me. One of the neighbors noticed you running from the house alone, and decided to check on my mother. He pulled her to safety and called the ambulance. At the hospital, she learned that she was pregnant with me, and vowed that one day we would exact revenge on you."

"There was no other way."

"Funny, other people seem to have no problem not killing their spouses. Anyways, when mother learned that Mr. Smith was the beneficiary of the life insurance policies, she started to wonder who that was. She thought about pulling the plug on your scheme early on but decided to let you amass a fortune and then take it all away from you. That's why as we speak, she has a gun trained on Collina and is going to kill her."

"Please no." She pulled out a new copy of my will and shoved it over to me. And then she pulled out a gun.

"Sign it." I signed it and prayed for a quick death.

My prayer went unanswered; I died in the hospital 2 weeks later. I was poisoned.


© Copyright 2017 Author Ed Anderson (spaz11081 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2142187-Dirty-Cash